DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air Sense question

Mazdaman323lx

Reactions
While operating my Mavic 3 pro last night I was overflown by two 737 aircraft in a 5 minute period . Dont worry , I was operating at about 50m max and the jets were at about 2000m or 8,000 feet . Last week I was overflown by a Cessna , again 2000 feet separation - I received no airsense warnings . In fact I can't recall receiving a airsense warning using this drone ever , even though the airport is 10 miles away . I remember turning it on when activating the drone . Is this unusal not to get warnings ?

Now that you mention it < I Have not gotten a warning for awhile now.

Its possible we might have lost that , I will check again tomorrow.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

Not all aircraft broadcast ADSB, it's more common around airports.

AirSense ONLY warns if a collision is possible. If the drone is 100' and a plane is approaching at 10,000' there is no warning. If the drone is at 100' and the plane is at 500' that is different.

AirSense ONLY warns if a collision is possible. If the drone is 100' and a plane is approaching at 10,000' there is no warning. If the drone is at 100' and the plane is at 500' that is different.
That makes sense. I live about 14 - 15 miles directly south of SeaTac Airport, and rarely get AirSense warnings from that traffic. However the Auburn (WA) Municiple Airport is just 3 miles east of me down in a valley - I get constant alerts from those small planes as the crest the hill near my house.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
AirSense definitely works. As mobilehomer says, my understanding is that it uses simple calculations to determine if there is a conflict and then warns you appropriately. I have no idea what the margin is, I was well away from traffic patterns flying near a small aerodrome last year, and I kept getting warnings despite being at least 1 km away from the manned A/C path and no more than 90 metres AGL. The A/C were doing landing circuits and so were descending, and generally in the vicinity, but not really close by my estimation.

And at other times I've operated and have seen commercial aircraft at 10,000+ ft passing overhead and nothing.

In the case of the aerodrome warnings, I suppose the ADS-B has no idea that the aircraft are landing and not likely to turn the direction of my drone, and its just calculating the possibility of a conflict should they decide to turn suddenly -- then I agree, there could have been a conflict since they're going 100-150 mph.

Reactions: Torque
To clarify, based on my experience, "possible" here seems to simply mean within a certain altitude range within a certain radius and not like, on "a collision course with." I regularly get AirSense hits from planes that are like a mile or more away and on a heading that couldn't possibly lead to a collision.

This is mistaken. Check out this page.

ADS-B is a continuous broadcast by ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, and is also broadcast by equipped airports (which is most with a manned tower). Aircraft with ADS-B Out also forward traffic data for other aircraft detected with ADS-B reception.

It is not a collision avoidance or warning system. It's really just a cheap, less functional and less reliable substitute for radar in applications (like small drones) where radar is impractical. It's also part of a broader FAA initiative called NextGen with the objective of moving from radar to aircraft self-reporting location, altitude, speed, and other flight data, providing full coverage in US airspace when fully transitioned.

In the US, ADS-B Out has been required in aircraft to fly in class A, B, and C airspace since January 2020, so it is almost certain those two 747s were capable of broadcasting ADS-B, even if they don't fly in US airspace.

Don't know if it's required in Ireland. If not, it certainly could have been switched off in those jumbos. Also, a DJI drone compared to a manned aircraft has weak, crappy antennas, and just like your drone disconnects at 1000m, a plane broadcasting ADS-B passing over you at 600kph, even as low as 1000m, will only have that signal in range of your weak drone antennas for a second or two, and can be easily missed, garbled, incomplete, etc.

In contrast to this, I fly within about 10 miles from the Watsonville Airport often, and once 150ft in the air, the airport is unobstructed line-of-sight. They're broadcasting a strong ADS-B signal, and I see traffic in the area on my AirSense equipped drones all the time.

• Angry
Reactions: BigAl07

ADS-B is a continuous broadcast by ADS-B Out equipped aircraft, and is also broadcast by equipped airports (which is most with a manned tower). Aircraft with ADS-B Out also forward traffic data for other aircraft detected with ADS-B reception.

It is not a collision avoidance or warning system. It's really just a cheap, less functional and less reliable substitute for radar in applications (like small drones) where radar is impractical. It's also part of a broader FAA initiative called NextGen with the objective of moving from radar to aircraft self-reporting location, altitude, speed, and other flight data, providing full coverage in US airspace when fully transitioned.

In the US, ADS-B Out has been required in aircraft to fly in class A, B, and C airspace since January 2020, so it is almost certain those two 747s were capable of broadcasting ADS-B, even if they don't fly in US airspace.

Don't know if it's required in Ireland. If not, it certainly could have been switched off in those jumbos. Also, a DJI drone compared to a manned aircraft has weak, crappy antennas, and just like your drone disconnects at 1000m, a plane broadcasting ADS-B passing over you at 600kph, even as low as 1000m, will only have that signal in range of your weak drone antennas for a second or two, and can be easily missed, garbled, incomplete, etc.

In contrast to this, I fly within about 10 miles from the Watsonville Airport often, and once 150ft in the air, the airport is unobstructed line-of-sight. They're broadcasting a strong ADS-B signal, and I see traffic in the area on my AirSense equipped drones all the time.
Why are you spreading nonsense? AirSense for a DJI drone IS a warning feature!!

• Love
Reactions: Torque and BigAl07

In this conversation that's WRONG!

AirSense uses ADS-B but then gives warnings if there is a possible Conflict!

ADS-B is not AirSense but a COMPONENT of it.

Directly from DJI:

DJI AirSense​

DJI AirSense is an alert system that uses ADS-B technology to give drone pilots enhanced situational awareness and help them make responsible decisions while flying. This feature gathers flight data sent automatically from nearby aircraft with ADS-B transmitters, analyzing it to detect potential collision risks and alert users well in advance through the DJI mobile app.

OK so the answer to my question is that there was too much airspace between me and the other aircraft. Correct ?
Seems like every question asked on here turns into the battle of the brain pans .

OK so the answer to my question is that there was too much airspace between me and the other aircraft. Correct ?
Seems like every question asked on here turns into the battle of the brain pans .

That would be my guess, but you know, once burned, twice shy. Not appreciating the hostility, I got the message... unwelcome. I'm outta this thread.

Reactions: Mazdaman323lx
Not distance only, but also direction of flight. Say you are hovering at 300' there is a plane that will pass 1/2 mile to the side at 500' - no warning. If that same plane turns and approaches at 300', you will get the warning. Then if that plane climbs to 3000'and flies straight over you, no warning there, either. These are not actual numbers, just an indication. AirSense is actually a very well programmed and implemented bit of code.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
That would be my guess, but you know, once burned, twice shy. Not appreciating the hostility, I got the message... unwelcome. I'm outta this thread.

If you find my brevity and emphasis to be "hostility" that's on your shoulders. I will always be quick to point out incorrect or even partially correct information as I did with your post. Simple as that. Not hostile and not unwelcoming in the least... just to the point and accurate.

Sincerely,
Allen

FWIW, I have had airliners in non intersecting paths (hovering at 30 ft quite a ways east) and at a fair altitude (almost a speck) show up with Air Sense and get position tracked on the map. Not much of a collision risk so I'm not sure how it determines whether or not to provide a warning.

Do they still show on the map? I have an ADSB station at home and was just hovering my Air 3 in my backyard when a Cessna flew over. It was on my ADSB app but nothing other than "aircraft in the area" on my controller

Do they still show on the map? I have an ADSB station at home and was just hovering my Air 3 in my backyard when a Cessna flew over. It was on my ADSB app but nothing other than "aircraft in the area" on my controller
Yes, I have had 25 show up on my map as far as twenty five miles or more away from me. If you get the warning, the aircraft definitely shows up on the map.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1