DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airliner's near miss with drone injures two crew members

The Drone Catastrophe That Wasn't - DRONELIFE

Investigators now admit that the incident earlier this month that caused a Canadian airliner to take evasive action, injuring two crew members, did not involve a drone at all.

As always the "It wasn't a drone after all" part isn't front page news, but the initial headline certainly was. It's very frustrating.

Another BBC drone story with helpful phantom picture.
It all sounds quite believable until they mention the 11,000 feet part.
You have to wonder how professional investigators can seriously pretend to be unaware that practically no consumer drones are capable of flying to such an altitude - but they clearly want to imply that's what it was.
Football-sized drone flown 20m from Heathrow-bound plane - BBC News

Another BBC drone story with helpful phantom picture.
It all sounds quite believable until they mention the 11,000 feet part.
You have to wonder how professional investigators can seriously pretend to be unaware that practically no consumer drones are capable of flying to such an altitude - but they clearly want to imply that's what it was.
Football-sized drone flown 20m from Heathrow-bound plane - BBC News

It got a bit like this many decades ago with alien spaceship sights. Lots of sightings - not one proven!

Now people are seeing drones everywhere - even flying along at high speeds at altitudes of 3.3km above the earth taking out jumbo jets and abducting small children.

Anyway just going to launch my Phantom - do a couple of circuits of the moon - maybe a quick flyby of Mars and then back home for a nice safe landing. The sort of thing any bog standard consumer drone can do quite easily.

( I should point out to govt officials watching this thread I am joking! )

The media hasn't presented "unbiased, factual" accounts since I was a kid. It's all about sensationalism and spinning to present the reporter's/media outlook's opinion.
They say what is going to make people watch, a couple of years ago we were all going to die from ebola then opps all better on to the next crisis to get people wound up

The thing I don't understand is that I can barely see my drone when its 2-300 feet out. And I'm standing still, looking in the sky, with no distractions. I don't understand how pilots, who're flying a plane at over a hundred miles an hour are able to spot a tiny little drone and able to comprehend what it is all while monitoring everything else they have to look over.

Reactions: DroningOn
The thing I don't understand is that I can barely see my drone when its 2-300 feet out. And I'm standing still, looking in the sky, with no distractions. I don't understand how pilots, who're flying a plane at over a hundred miles an hour are able to spot a tiny little drone and able to comprehend what it is all while monitoring everything else they have to look over.

They probably can't - there seems to be a massive effort to blacken hobbyist drone operators. Roughly 88,000 people die in the USA each year from alcohol related deaths.
Zero from drones.

Now I'm not saying ban alcohol but if there was a burning issue of the day that needs urgently tackling surely alcohol is infinitely more deadly dangerous than drones!

And yet apparently drones are the cause of the coming apocalypse!

"Save yourselves - them deadly drones are out to get us. I drank a bottle of whisky and beat the wife I was so stressed about them drones"

I feel the same way as a pilot myself there is a lot going on as you turn base to final. I am sure one might be seen but the big boys are going so fast they would blow byit before the ever made out what it was. Five years ago it would have been reported as a bird.

That being said I am sure there are still jerks out there that have or will fly near approach ends of runways, and that's to bad because we will all end up having to pay for it with either higher registration fees or more regulations.

I argued all the time every time some one called the quads a drone. If the just called them quadcopters, the FAA might have left us alone. But no everyone wanted to be cool and own a drone. Just my 2cents

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu