DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Alcatraz using the 3x camera on the Mavic 3 Po

TheGroove

Reactions
Was shot in Night Mode using the 3x camera, it can be pretty capable under the right conditions.

Getting the legal stuff out of the way... took off from shore outside of the GGNRA, flew for around 1 1/4 mile (with my beacon on) to get there, shot for less than 10 minutes, then got it back just in time with the battery alarm going off. The island itself is a no fly zone but the water surround it is not, I never flew directly over it and the zoom of the 3x gave a great perspective. Seagulls are everywhere down there, no getting around it but I do my best to stay out of their way.

Nice Stuff I assumed the Whole Bay was a national Park Next time I get up that way I need to take my Drone.
Right and much of it is but only around the actual GGNRA itself, use AirMap to get an idea but there are a lot of areas you can legally fly in or file a LAANC for.

Reactions: Cafguy
Unless you launch from a boat, how can you fly over the target while maintaining VLOS? I realize the camera is pretty good and you might be able to circle the island outside the restricted boundaries but I thought the nearest land you could launch from was too far to see the drone?

Reactions: DougMcC
Unless you launch from a boat, how can you fly over the target while maintaining VLOS? I realize the camera is pretty good and you might be able to circle the island outside the restricted boundaries but I thought the nearest land you could launch from was too far to see the drone?
As mentioned in my initial post, I used my beacon and could clearly see it the entire time. Additionally, here is the GGNRA map, the launch point was way outside of it.

As mentioned in my initial post, I used my beacon and could clearly see it the entire time. Additionally, here is the GGNRA map, the launch point was way outside of it.
Oh sorry I guess I didn't know what a beacon is. Are you talking about a strobe light?

Right, and believe me when I tell you it can definitely be seen for 3 nautical miles, that sucker is bright.
Already aware, I've seen mine out to 2 miles with my own eyes. But I also mark my drone with red, green, and white strobes so I can tell the orientation easily (one strobe light is not enough). To me that helps with the rule regarding VLOS and being able to see which way your drone is going/facing and in relationship to whatever might be under it; keep you safe in case you encounter other aircraft. Next time I am in the bay area, I might find myself doing the same.

Nice video!

Reactions: TheGroove
That place never looked so amazing , seems like the birds had been waiting a long time to roost a very nice shot.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Land on the Water .

Already aware, I've seen mine out to 2 miles with my own eyes. But I also mark my drone with red, green, and white strobes so I can tell the orientation easily (one strobe light is not enough). To me that helps with the rule regarding VLOS and being able to see which way your drone is going/facing and in relationship to whatever might be under it; keep you safe in case you encounter other aircraft. Next time I am in the bay area, I might find myself doing the same.
I have a similar set up with 3 Firehouse strobes. Green = Flying towards home on the front arm. Red = Flying away from home on the back arm, White = Upwards so aircraft above me can see me.

I have a similar set up with 3 Firehouse strobes. Green = Flying towards home on the front arm. Red = Flying away from home on the back arm,
That's actually a good idea because it can be hard to tell sometimes, though I was always aware of direction of travel.

White = Upwards so aircraft above me can see me.
This is the most important thing to me and if it's even close to being dark I put it on religiously, there is typically a lot of aircraft in the area and you want to stick out like a sort thumb to them. This flight was pretty low the entire time but there's also shipping traffic to be aware of so I was careful to be aware of all of my surroundings and fortunately had nothing obstructing my VLOS, it was wide open space and easy to see everything.

My personal opinion about mounting strobe lights on the top of a drone is somewhat unnecessary since a modern (good) strobe light mounted on the front/back/sides can still be seen by manned aircraft up to a certain point. We really don't need to signal to manned aircraft two or three miles higher than the drone (or at least I would prefer not to) but you lose some effectiveness with a top-mounted strobe with regard to the pilot on the ground as opposed to sufficiently signally manned aircraft higher than the drone with max effectiveness (including other benefits to the pilot on the ground) when mounted elsewhere. Too often top mounted accessories tend to interfere with electronics or run the risk of conflicting with propellers should they come loose.

Was shot in Night Mode using the 3x camera, it can be pretty capable under the right conditions.

Getting the legal stuff out of the way... took off from shore outside of the GGNRA, flew for around 1 1/4 mile (with my beacon on) to get there, shot for less than 10 minutes, then got it back just in time with the battery alarm going off. The island itself is a no fly zone but the water surround it is not, I never flew directly over it and the zoom of the 3x gave a great perspective. Seagulls are everywhere down there, no getting around it but I do my best to stay out of their way.

For once, too short! But beautiful

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13