DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Allowing 2nd iPad to get camera view while flying.

MrQwik Ent

Reactions
I am hoping there is a way to allow a participant to view the camera view coming from my Mavic 2 Zoom with my iPad Pro 12.9” while myself or another person is operating the drone with an iPad mini.

My first thought is that perhaps I can do that with the Litchi app.

Can anybody please provide me with solutions?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I am hoping there is a way to allow a participant to view the camera view coming from my Mavic 2 Zoom with my iPad Pro 12.9” while myself or another person is operating the drone with an iPad mini.

My first thought is that perhaps I can do that with the Litchi app.

Can anybody please provide me with solutions?

Thanks for your thoughts.

There are no good reliable ways to do this without a second remote. There are third party apps like Litchi who have programs that claim to be able to do this without a second remote but I have yet to speak or meet anyone who has been able to make it work reliably.

Reactions: Inspirephil
As an aside...the Gopro Karma allows this via their "passenger" phone or tablet app. You can also allow the person using the phone app to control and operate the camera and gimbal tilt, while someone else is piloting the drone.

I always wondered why DJI didn't include the option on the Mavic.

Reactions: AMann
I researched this too- Brett8883 is right, it’s the cheapest way short of buying a smart controller or Crystal Sky and outputting from HDMI to AppleTV or directly to a HDMI field monitor (about $150 for a good one). Also Goggles can do it.

I went with the CS and a HDMI field monitor though as I want it to work in full sun and didnt want the client to accidentally control the drone.

Can you put the controller iPad in mirror mode, and the 2nd iPad picks it up?
2nd thought using appleTV that can pickup iPad one and it broadcasts.

we are working on the same concept to show the display to a class room.

Can you put the controller iPad in mirror mode, and the 2nd iPad picks it up?
2nd thought using appleTV that can pickup iPad one and it broadcasts.

we are working on the same concept to show the display to a class room.

Post #4 - Ive been told Apple TV will work for doing it.

If someone could be much more specific about the Apple TV solution, how to set it up, what you need with you in the field, etc., I would appreciate it.
I already run my media center with a high end Nvidia Shield.
I don't want to invest in an Apple TV unless I am sure it will provide a solution.

Controller iPad in mirror mode sounds interesting...
Anybody have some specific information on this as a possible solution?

If someone could be much more specific about the Apple TV solution, how to set it up, what you need with you in the field, etc., I would appreciate it.
I don't want to invest in an Apple TV unless I am sure it will provide a solution.

My brother who teaches media for LAUSD streams live from their M2Z onto the school network through their CS, I have an AppleTV and can try doing this later tonight. Will post back resilts.

My brother who teaches media for LAUSD streams live from their M2Z onto the school network through their CS, I have an AppleTV and can try doing this later tonight. Will post back resilts.

The issue is you also need a router to create a local network. I’ve tried using my phone’s mobile hotspot as the local network but it’s either too slow or the remote interfers with the network to a degree that renders it useless

I’ve tried it and it doesn’t work reliably to my Mac Book Pro. Maybe @AMann wilk have better luck with the Apple TV since it can mirror the iPad natively. Though, I think I’ll be surprised.

I am confused I know the original mavic pro allowed two controllers and monitors but I was not aware that the mavic 2 allowed this.

The original Mavic 2 Manual (zoom and pro) had a "coming soon - dual controllers". It was removed one or two revisions ago. No explanation - just gone. No answer on the DJI forum either.

Didn’t realize that. So no master/slave set up?

(edited to add: this is a photo grab of one of the original Mavic 2 manuals that indicated "Dual Controller was coming soon." It should be noted that this information is removed from more recent manuals and that the feature probably will NOT come to the Mavic 2 series. I did not want its posting to confuse people into thinking the feature was coming or still coming. Back to our regularly scheduled discussions)

Here's a shot:
Dual Controllers.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: brett8883

I can confirm Apple TV solution works well in my case. I did upgrade my router to 5Ghz. When it was 2.4 ghz only it lagged a bit. Also it helps if you plug the Apple TV directly to the router (not wireless).

The process is fairly simple.

Turn the controller IPhone/IPad into screen mirror mode and start DJI app as normal. You do have to select the Apple TV you want to mirror to. Make sure everything is on the same network.

On the tv side plug yourTV into the Apple TV via HDMI. Plug your wired internet into the back and turn on. That’s really it. What I would suggest is make sure you can Airplay to the Apple TV without lag or any problems before you try mirroring the DJI app. If you experience any lagging try disconnecting all other devices in the router.

I have also confirmed that RavPower File hub new version with 5ghz WiFi works well to accomplish the set up for field use. I have set a 27 inch TV.

One thing to consider is possible interference. I have had a time or two where the controller gave me a high interference warning but signal was still strong. This only happened when i was testing and using my home WiFi with many other devices and flying indoors. Never had the problem outside.

Apparently, the new manual says that Dual Controllers are now possible. That may mean you can setup a second controller with a tablet or device???

Reactions: FASTFJR
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon90