DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost learned a hard lesson

Rmwac

Reactions
Flew the Mavic today on her first extended photo mission. Yesterday, I received and installed a magnetic micro USB port ( To save wear and tear charging on the micro USB port...) Well.... DO NOT DO THIS!! When powering up the RC, I got an immediate Magnetic interference warning.....followed by RC ERROR.... So much for the magnetic MicroUSB port saver :(
Back to flying... I used my Samsung T580 Tab A today..... while a good distance away, I suddenly lose contact with the bird!!! Message: RC ERROR / MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE. WTF? So, it's out there hovering 2000' away, no video feed, no nothing. Trying not to panic, I played with the cords, restarted both the RC and DJIGO4... figured it should be quickly back on it's way home with RTH.... Then, by some undeserved divine grace, I happened to budge the tablet in it's pedestal mount so it was a little farther from the RC.... RC reconnected... budged to it's original closer position.... MAG ERROR! Of course, I moved the tablet back to the position allowing the reconnection. Flew her home, scratching my head on what went wrong. Taking apart my tab and RC, I laid the tablet on my work bench. when about to put the tablet in it's case, I noticed a paper clip stuck to the back of the tablet, opposite the pushbutton..... Grabbing a nail, It too latched right onto the tablet with vigor! KIDS, this tablet has a very powerful magnet aboard, and the darned Mavic RC gimbals are.....
MAGNETIC, NOT a potentiometer like most RC transmitters. Almost lost my Mavic today because of a stray magnetic field from the SAMSUNG T580 Tab A. So, be warned about anything magnetic near your RC.

addendum to story. The Samsung T580 Tablet A has strong magnetism all around the outer edges. A nail vigorously grabs on s good half dozen separate areas. I'm done with this thing... Thinking about the NVidia Shield. The Tab A is HUGE. Any ideas or wisdom you might impart on this issue is most appreciated!

Reactions: slkfis
Flew the Mavic today on her first extended photo mission. Yesterday, I received and installed a magnetic micro USB port ( To save wear and tear charging on the micro USB port...) Well.... DO NOT DO THIS!! When powering up the RC, I got an immediate Magnetic interference warning.....followed by RC ERROR.... So much for the magnetic MicroUSB port saver :(.
I know you found that the mag' source was something else, but you are correct, if you use a NetDot type magnetic micro-USB tip on the charging port of your controller, you should NOT use that port for the Go 4 controller connection - as that would put a big magnet on the side of your controller during flight. If you are using the NetDot type USB connections for charging, then use the USB-C port in the base of the controller to connect to your phone/tablet:
IMG_20181124_095144.jpg

this! As of recent, I've been having a bunch of compass errors... the darn M2P would not calibrate, it would take multiple tries to get it to work, and sometimes when it would be calibrated, it would then instantly need it again.

Turns out the issue was my "photographer's gloves" I got from B&H right before Christmas... they have openable thumb and index finger tips, and the flaps are fastened with tiny magnets. I would of course, pick up the M2P and it would screw up the compass.

Reactions: Shaughan
Seems I've performed a public service :) I was shocked to find out how magnetic my Samsung T580 tablet is!! Almost cost me a Mavic

Thanks!! I just bought a Mini 4 128gig. Dumping the Android phone and Tablet.... and the charging issue, prematurely draining the RC battery, requiring an aux. power hub, sweating every Android update to see what Go4 incompatibility will occur next.... blah, blah, blah
Dumped my Samsung Tab 7 and went with the Ipad mini 4. (my first Apple device) Best thing I could have done. Performs flawlessly and fits inside the Pro 1 controller.

Small magnets near the RC should not affect flight. If said magnets managed to be near the AC during compass calibration or takeoff, that will cause issues.

Even the iPad mini4 has magnets embedded in its edges. I fly my Mavic with the mini4 in the RC arms with the home button on the right and a magnetic usb in the micro USB port. Hand launches take place regularly with no warnings of magnetic interference. The controller was/would be calibrated when a component was/is changed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
googleplazadorn