DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude Creep

flyNfrank

Reactions
I finally got the opportunity to put my Mavic through it's 1st flight. All firmware, forward sensor, ground sensor, and compass calibrations were completed prior to takeoff. When launching I ascended the a/c up to 100ft and stopped there with no effects made to go any higher throughout the flight. I flew around 4-5 minutes in occasional 8-13mph head winds and noticed the a/c appeared to be getting higher as I flew it around. I had stopped a 100ft altitude and in 3-4 minutes it reached a height of 365ft.
During that time, a high wind message displayed on the screen.
Also, I noticed the a/c had trouble landing while in RTH. Halfway down on it's vertical descent, it would briefly stop descending saying it was near the ground. But it would then continue only to stop and show the same error again. At that point I thought maybe the wind was a factor and possibly the cause? It finally made to near 3ft from the ground and just hovered. I had to do what it calls it "force landing" the last few feet.

The image below is the event log from the last 3rd of the flight. The "not near ground" and "near ground" displayed throughout the entire flight as seen in the image.

*Note- after completing the Front & Ground sensor calibration process, the Assistant said it was a success and 100% complete. However, it also displayed a error message pointing to the App for more Info. The App was scrolling a message in red mentioning the forward sensors and a error. I ran the calibration 2 times receiving the same results.

At this point I'm considering a IMU calibration. Any thoughts?

1flightD.jpg

Wow. Sounds like a whole lot of wrong. Are you saying it climbed from 100 to over 300 on its own? That's much more than creep. If your controller is calibrated, you may have a bad barometer. But it sounds like you have multiple problems. If it's me, I recalibrate EVERYTHING one more time and give it another test flight. Start low with strong satellite reception. It should hover in place almost unmoving. Be sure you have all apps closed but the DJI and put your phone in airplane mode. Take off fly a short way, return, repeat a few times. If you still get so many error messagea, I'd consider replacing it.

Wow. Sounds like a whole lot of wrong. Are you saying it climbed from 100 to over 300 on its own? That's much more than creep. If your controller is calibrated, you may have a bad barometer. But it sounds like you have multiple problems. If it's me, I recalibrate EVERYTHING one more time and give it another test flight. Start low with strong satellite reception. It should hover in place almost unmoving. Be sure you have all apps closed but the DJI and put your phone in airplane mode. Take off fly a short way, return, repeat a few times. If you still get so many error messagea, I'd consider replacing it.

I attempted a flight before the one mentioned here. I had to abort just after launch due to the controller needing calibrated in the GO4 App. I had calibrated the controller itself, but found out after 1st launch it has to also be calibrated in the App.

I had the Vertical Obstacle enabled in the Forward Vision system, and I think that may have contributed to the increase in altitude. Also the "not near ground" and "near ground" part mentioned in the 1st post played into that situation. My next chance to check during flight will come tomorrow.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan