DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always forgetting to remove the **** gimbal lock

For me, a streamer was overkill for my needs. Therefore, in addition to being on the pre-flight checklist, a liberal application of my wife's bright red nail polish on the curved portion of the plastic makes it highly visible even at a quick glance.

I 3d printed out a bright red gimbal lock from thingyverse. I think half the problem is the lock is clear plastic and easily missed. Seems to have helped me not overlook removing the lock.

Great ideas! I still plan on a streamer. But a firmware update prevents the function on the motor when gimbal lock is in place so you know.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

in aviation, things are marked because someone screwed up. No Step painted on something is there because somebody created a new hole in a wing skin... just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I think there have been some good ideas in this thread about how to remember to remove the clamp...I've forgotten mine as well...I must be one of the idiots that some people on here are talking about. I've only got 3 flights on mine and never had any other products that anything like this so I kinda just chocked it up to being new to this. I know I still have a lot to learn and I have learned a lot by reading this board. I think the original poster had a very legitimate question and it just amazes me that some people are only on here to criticize the actions of others. I thought this was a place where we could come to get help and suggestions to better the hobby. I personally like the idea of the remove before flight tags...I think every full scale pilot be them military or private deals with these tags as well. There is a reason for it. People forget things...even with a checklist. Get off your high horse all of you that think you are so perfect and only want to criticize. I hope you don't ever forget something yourself... or need to ask a question...maybe then you'll be the one being criticized.
It's a forum to help all of us. Can't we just keep it like this?
Rant over.

I must be missing something here when it comes to practical solutions !?

I numbered my batteries to make sure I cycle through them- visual cue to remind me of the gimbal as I turn the aircraft on, only until I develop muscle memory.

This makes sense ?

View media item 333

Unless I am travelling a long way, I do not reinstall the gimbal lock. Just the cover. Any thoughts from the group on if this is such a bad practice? My thoughts were the risk of that burning up the board is greater to me than the risk of damaging it by not being on. If there is enough force applied to have it damaged, then I have bigger issues handling the Mavic than the gimbal lock.

Good luck!
Bad practice. It's a very sensitive device. Take care of it!

Reactions: GreatScott
Bad practice. It's a very sensitive device. Take care of it!

I have adopted the streamer method to remind me. Better safe than sorry. Thanks!

I don't know what it is about me, but I seem to forget to remove the **** gimbal lock more times than not. Does anyone have any tips to help me remember? A "remove before flight" flag or perhaps just actually going over my preflight checklist? What do you use to help you remember?

I learned the hard way with my Typhone H. So, I painted the gimbal lock bright red, stands out like a sore thumb with the all black H. I'll likely do the same with the Mavic lock

Be like the big boys. When REAL jets are to be parked overnight, the pilots install landing gear pins to prevent inadvertent retraction. These pins have long orange flags on them, so the next day's pilot won't forget to remove them. Try taping some bright colored yarn or string on the gimbal lock, long enough to hang down below the gimbal. This way, you'll see the orange yarn, and remove the lock!

Reactions: MavicMoira
Be like the big boys. When REAL jets are to be parked overnight, the pilots install landing gear pins to prevent inadvertent retraction. These pins have long orange flags on them, so the next day's pilot won't forget to remove them. Try taping some bright colored yarn or string on the gimbal lock, long enough to hang down below the gimbal. This way, you'll see the orange yarn, and remove the lock!
Did you see post #49

I've been thinking the same thing. I dont want to be walking anywhere near these people. If you're taking off the full cover, how can you possible forget the other part right next to it.

Easily. That's why airline pilots use checklists--every mode of flight, every time. A few years ago, surgeons, taking a lesson from pilots, started using pre-surgery checklists. Surgical errors were reduced significantly.

This was a great idea-- whomever came up with it--

I originally saw it on a video from Peter Homer he does some great video tips on youtube

Yep-- that's the guy!! Really dig this fellow.. always posting quality stuff you can learn from.. +1

Have not done it yet. But if you don't remove your gimbal lock what happens.

You could potentially burn out the motor I would imagine.. I have already managed to do this twice..had to power off then on again and voila..no issues to this point but, very disappointing to hear the MP struggling..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu