DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always forgetting to remove the **** gimbal lock

Bad practice. It's a very sensitive device. Take care of it!
^^^THIS!!

You guys leaving it off have it exactly backwards. The time you DON'T need it is when it's sitting still in storage for a period of time. There's no mechanical threat to it in those circumstances. The lock might as well not be there.

On the other hand, when you're trucking around with it actively going places and shooting imagery, this is the most important time to have the lock on. As Andrew said, it's a mechanically sensitive mechanism, and it's flopping and banging all around in your bag every time you pick the bag up and move it -- if the lock isn't on. You probably don't think about how it's bouncing all around while your driving either.

I'm an EE with a minor in physics and ME. I've taken apart the type of motor used in these gimbals. It's a high-end brushless servo/stepper, basically. It can not be damaged by being unable to move when energized. In such a case, the energy that would have gone in the kinetic movement simply produces heat (very little) in the stator.

Last edited:
Whew! Your message gives us all relief after thinking we might have burned up the gimbal motors. I just wouldn't want to have this happen too often.

Whew! Your message gives us all relief after thinking we might have burned up the gimbal motors. I just wouldn't want to have this happen too often.
Heat is one of the most "power dense" forms of energy. This is not a property of the physical universe -- it's a matter of use and perception, driven by human circumstances. We are very sensitive to light, so it doesn't take much power to produce what we perceive as "a lot" of light.

Heat is the exact opposite. In order for us to perceive that things are "warm", we have to heat up a lot of material all around us -- air, walls, furniture, floors, clothing, etc. It takes A LOT of energy to makes everything warmer like that. And that's just a part of why we perceive heat energy with a lot less sensitivity than light, kinetic, etc.

So. The power requirements to turn a tiny motor with considerable force is an order of magnitude or two less than what it takes to produce heat in the stator windings hot enough to "burn" anything. You can run a small motor with quite a bit of torque off an AA battery and tens of milliamps of current. To heat those stator coils hot enough to start damaging adhesives, lubricants, laquer insulation on the windings, etc. etc. etc. would take running like 3-5A through the thing.

No, keeping the gimbal from moving will not damage the motors.

Definitely seen GO APP warning of a locked gimbal.

The MP firmware tries to move the gimbal as part of its start up tests. If it's effecting movement but the position detection doesn't move it's easy to state that the actuator will heat up. Damage? Probably not - at least short term.

P 41 of the V1.6 manual is unambiguous: Remove the gimbal lock before powering on the aircraft.

It also states that an error message may occur if the gimbal movement is obstructed.

I have made it a habit to look under at the gimbal just before powering ON the Mavic. This works for me as it forces me to think about the gimbal lock at the last moment.

Definitely seen GO APP warning of a locked gimbal.

The MP firmware tries to move the gimbal as part of its start up tests. If it's effecting movement but the position detection doesn't move it's easy to state that the actuator will heat up. Damage? Probably not - at least short term.
No, this is simply not true.

How many watts of power do you think the drivers feeding the gimbal motors are capable of delivering? Milliwatts. Think about the power of a hair dryer (1500W) to get an idea for how much power it takes to produce heat.

To heat up those motors you need to run WATTS of power through them. I'd guess they're being driven by around 5V or so... to produce 5W of heat you'd have to push 1A through that tiny motor.

There simply is no way on this earth that the electrical design of the gimbal is capable of, let alone actually trying to push that kind of power through those little motors.

As the power levels necessary to move and hold position, there's not enough to heat the stator coils enough to probably even feel any warming at all when obstructed.

Finally, the operating system of the Mavic detects obstruction, and it very very very likely disables gimbal control if it finds it can't move. So any energizing of those motors when they can move is brief, ceasing until you remove the lock and reboot the aircraft.

Reactions: Clinton1
No, this is simply not true.

How many watts of power do you think the drivers feeding the gimbal motors are capable of delivering? Milliwatts. Think about the power of a hair dryer (1500W) to get an idea for how much power it takes to produce heat.

To heat up those motors you need to run WATTS of power through them. I'd guess they're being driven by around 5V or so... to produce 5W of heat you'd have to push 1A through that tiny motor.

There simply is no way on this earth that the electrical design of the gimbal is capable of, let alone actually trying to push that kind of power through those little motors.

As the power levels necessary to move and hold position, there's not enough to heat the stator coils enough to probably even feel any warming at all when obstructed.

Finally, the operating system of the Mavic detects obstruction, and it very very very likely disables gimbal control if it finds it can't move. So any energizing of those motors when they can move is brief, ceasing until you remove the lock and reboot the aircraft.

You're falling all over yourself on this.

Facts:
  • I stated that damage was not likely and
  • I stated that the manual states clearly that the gimbal lock should be removed for flight and
  • I stated that not removing it will result in warnings.
And all of those are true.

That's really all there is to it. Do not fly with the lock in place.

I have not heard of a case of actual damage cause by the gimbal lock being left in place, and I doubt anyone else has either.

I used to forget mine about 2/3 of the time - not just the lock but the dome! Now it's about 1/5 of the time. I keep meaning to tape on a red ribbon, but I keep forgetting to do that. Haha.

21722d7eaee754743837228931c33b0d.jpg
484c7dfc03420584fae3ad2f35b6fe5a.jpg

My solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the ideas, I think this is the cleanest solution and would've done the same thing if I had issue with removing the clamp. I'll soon find out. I'm not knew to flying machines, but I'm new to the Mavic, so we'll see.

I do think those who are forgetting to take things off like this before flight may just not be accustomed to operating a gadget of this nature. Practice makes perfect.

As I found out today, it is really easy to forget to remove the gimbal clamp.
I connected one of those "Remove Before Flight" ribbons I had for something else by drilling a tiny hole in the holder. But I don't put the holder on anymore unless I'm going on a road trip or out in the boat. The gimbal gets more shaking flying that in the car driving down the road anyway.

TL;DR literally :). If has not been said, you can get one of those label makers or if you have one at work, print out the smallest font and stick it on top so that's the last thing you see before pressing the button.

I purchaced these on e bay....real cheap ! and insert it in the front leg before folding it.

s-l1600.jpg

Over 100 [emoji817] posts. And I thought I was the only idiot to overlook this simple step! [emoji23]
Comforting to know I am "normal".
Lately I have become sufficiently 'brain trained' not to do this - but nice to see an array of hardware reminders should I relapse!
It seems the hardware is forgiving with this error, and the software warning works.
With all the posts leaving the clamp on and no damage reports it is not a critical mistake.
Just hate getting the the mental 'demerit point' with that warning [emoji615]️- so always(?[emoji33]) take it out.

The gimbal lock just slows deployment and storage/transport of the Mavic. Its unfortunately necessary to keep the most fragile part of the craft working. Slow down and develop a routine. Rushing to get the shot will cost you.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
609a5b20524c3304cb94e4db9ec752e5.jpg

Found a lace on the beach. Just tied a knot at the appropriate length. No need to drill hole. Works for me.

Reactions: scottebay
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure