DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Always forgetting to remove the **** gimbal lock

72d89e866fa6734dea43d598f1798037.jpg

IMO, if this is the sort of mistake people make then they should use checklists every time until their every set up move becomes a well rehearsed flow and things get done correctly ('ritualized'). Note that if you're forgetting to remove the clamp you're perhaps forgetting to do other useful, safety enhancing things.

For my part when I pull the MP out of the bag that is the exact moment that I remove the cover and lock (and place those straight back in the bag). After unfolding the legs I next check that the micro SD card is inserted.

It does not take a lot of repetitions to get this habit to stick.

The "red lace" above is pretty good though.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Over 100 [emoji817] posts. And I thought I was the only idiot to overlook this simple step! [emoji23]
Comforting to know I am "normal".
Lately I have become sufficiently 'brain trained' not to do this - but nice to see an array of hardware reminders should I relapse!
It seems the hardware is forgiving with this error, and the software warning works.
With all the posts leaving the clamp on and no damage reports it is not a critical mistake.
Just hate getting the the mental 'demerit point' with that warning [emoji615]️- so always(?[emoji33]) take it out.

Flying with the lock is unlikely to damage the gimbal; storing and transporting the bird without the lock is most likely to fatigue or damage it, esp. if it snags on something when being put it or pulled out of the bag or if it (or something) moves around in the bag.

Last edited:
...error and possible gimbal motor overheating, leads to failed gimbal if done too many times.

When you say failed gimbal, do you mean a total failure or just symptoms like jittering or jello in your videos ?

Agreed. The two times I nearly forgot were when i was sitting on my couch trying to update the firmware.

Ha ha same. Twice. Sitting on the couch. I have a similar routine thou when I skydive. I have a gear check I do every jump, nothing written down. The mavic I have a routine on how I take it out, unfold it, remove the done and lock. So far it's kept me alive skydiving, should work for the mavic.

I bought an aftermarket gimbal protector with built-in clamp. Mine is clear, but you can get them also in black. This way you're much less likely to forget.

// aftermarket gimbal protector with built-in clamp

In case of a fall while Mavic is in a bag, if it takes the impact with the dome, this dome-clamp can damage the gimbal. Mine just fell while inside the Fly More combo bag, took the impact with the stock dome, dome compressed front to back (didn't break though), two front notches dislodged from their positions, but the gimbal lock did its job! Nothing's damaged. Hooray to the stock gimbal lock!

I bought one of those combined locks, and this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for when I posted this thread -> Thoughts On Combined Gimbal Cover/Clamp to the DJI forum. I'm still using the 2 piece solution. As much as I like the aftermarket clamp simplicity and quality of the dome, it just seems risky. I also notice that it leans the gimbal forward a bit, while the standard gimbal lock does not.

LP

IMG_0324.JPG Think this will do?
Seriously, people think the little RBF ribbons are so cool, but they don't understand the nature of the problem. What's easy to forget is to remove the clamp before powering the aircraft on, not so much before flight. If you're just doing a firmware update or checking settings, you can have a ribbon dangling from the clamp and a dandy pre-flight checklist, but you can still forget because you had no intention of flying. You hit the power button and then 30 seconds later, "Aw, crap!"
I got some red Post-it flags, similar to those that you stick on a document to indicate where a signature is needed. I printed the word "Clamp!" on several of these, and I stick them over the power buttons.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
I've been reading a few threads about people forgetting to remove the gimbal clamp and I'm just trying to figure out how. Isn't it just part of your regular set up routine? Would you forget to unfold the legs or forget to out the battery in?

Am i missing something here or are people really just not that careful?
bet no one forgets the power switch,same should be for the gimble clamp

I used some of my wife’s day glow red nail polish and painted the clamp. Now I never forget to take it off.

I recently purchased one of theses but you still need the G clamp for installing and removing filters IMHO
I am able to swap my filters without clamping the gimbal...I have the Taco RC filters and they aren't too hard to install or remove.

T
I am able to swap my filters without clamping the gimbal...I have the Taco RC filters and they aren't too hard to install or remove.

That is exactly why I put IMHO, I prefer to have the gimbal supported

I attached a small 4 inch piece of flourescent orange surveyors tape. Cut down to 1/2" wide. Impossible to miss, impossible to forget. No need at all for the big, gaudy, "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" silliness.

I attached a small 4 inch piece of flourescent orange surveyors tape. Cut down to 1/2" wide. Impossible to miss, impossible to forget. No need at all for the big, gaudy, "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" silliness.
just curious,you ever forget to turn on the power button?:cool:

It has become habit for me. I do not put a battery in the a.c. unless the gimbal clamp is removed. The habit came from checklist and a reminder tag on drone for a while.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54