DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am i missing a setting for the trees not to look horrible?

altereddezignz

Reactions
I just got in from a Very bright nice flight using a 16nd filter.

Style - D-cinilike
-2,-1, -1 on the custom settings,
White balance set to sunny.
All controls on manual
ISO 100

Any ideas?
All my images have this mush to them?

DJI_0046.JPG

Attachments

• DJI_0053.JPG
    DJI_0053.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 75
Sharpening cannot be lower than +1.
If it is, noise reduction kicks in and turns fine detail to mush.
Try +1, -1, -1.

Awesome!!! Ill give it a try tomorrow? Any pointers for night time video or pictures. Just went out with same settings but removing the ND filter and tried auto and manual along with auto WB and it never would focus?

I can start a new thread if need be.. We are having a crazy lightening show tonight off in the distance and was going to see if i could catch some..

No idea about night. Not allowed to fly them at night in most countries.
That said, always avoid auto WB - it can change mid shot resulting in strange video.
If you do insist on going up at night then id suggest selecting manual focus and focus it on a bright light maybe 10m or so in front of you and locking it there. That way you should have infinity focus with no hunting in the flight.
And obviously remove all filters.

Ok so on the +1 sharp. Why is is on all the videos i have watched they all say to use -1 in the sharpness and add it back in on post? Seems like if it is already mush it cant be corrected but you can blur it down a little?

Those settings work on the phantoms but the mavic handles things differently. Plenty of videos around showing the differences in settings.
Ultimately you dont want the inbuild software to do noise reduction - do it in post instead.
The NR aggressively and permanently smoothes details on the drone with no user customisation.

Other than a quick youtube search yielding 20 videos on about sharpening +1 you can prove it yourself, video a scene, ideally with moving trees in using all the settings and compare footage.

I am going to do some testing tomorrow. I did search google and youtube and i get from one extreme to the next on video and stills settings and cinematic settings for video and stills.

Thank you very much for the info. I have received permission to fly and capture the fireworks this week so i am trying to get some of the nighttime stuff figured out before then if the mosquitoes font carry me off..

Ok so on the +1 sharp. Why is is on all the videos i have watched they all say to use -1 in the sharpness and add it back in on post? Seems like if it is already mush it cant be corrected but you can blur it down a little?

They're misinformed. Check out the lengthy and very detailed look into the subject by Film Poets on YouTube:

Check YouTube again search for newest videos. Personally I think you might be viewing older ones. When they first came out that is what many thought looked good but after being able to play around +1 was much better.
I have been using it and I am much more happier then when I was using -1

I'll do some testing but the video above does a great job of showing things correctly. I really do appreciate the information. I also think I may have confused some of you bc I realistically started out talking about stills and I didn't realize there was 2 different setting screens. One for video one for stills. My apologies about that part!!

Now on to figureonf out the rest of the setting for good video and stills. Thanks all!!!

I don't understand what sharpness has to do with noise.

Noise is a result of higher iso.
Higher iso comes from low light.

Because of the way the mavic is coded. The "sharpness" setting also controls the internal noise reduction algorithm.
Quite simply with 0 or lower this setting turns on the internal NR which mushes all the fine detail.
This is different behaviour to the Phantoms which is causing confusion.

(Noise isnt strictly a factor of high ISO either. There is always thermal and electrical noise on a sensor even at base iso). Higher ISO isnt always for low light either - you sometimes need a shutter speed.

Because of the way the mavic is coded. The "sharpness" setting also controls the internal noise reduction algorithm.
Quite simply with 0 or lower this setting turns on the internal NR which mushes all the fine detail.
This is different behaviour to the Phantoms which is causing confusion.

(Noise isnt strictly a factor of high ISO either. There is always thermal and electrical noise on a sensor even at base iso). Higher ISO isnt always for low light either - you sometimes need a shutter speed.

I'd be interested to read more about the mavic's sharpness & nose correlation. Do you have any suggested literature or links?

And regarding your very last point, if one needs a faster shutter speed, they're better off, much better off, opening up the aperture a stop or two. Or brightening it in PP. Because unless you have a fancy 5D or 1D series (or equivalent), anything above 1000 iso will yield terrible results.

I have found a bunch of videos now that talk about it. I'm
Not sure why they would want to differ things from the way the phantoms do it bc I think it just confuses more people now.

The video posted above gives examples of the settings and NR being applied. Several more showing the same.
(Or you can do your own tests easily enough).
Mavic doesn't separate sharpening and NR as far as user control goes unfortunately. If you want no sharpening, you have to have noise reduction.

I use the factory settings 0 - 0- - 0 all zero's and my pics come out fine.West Pittston.jpg Beaumont Inn Patio.jpg

Attachments

• Beaumont Inn Patio.jpg
    Beaumont Inn Patio.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
Thats because its a photo not video. Sharpness (or any other) settings have no effect on a DNG photo.

Reactions: MarcelKoks
Thats because its a photo not video. Sharpness (or any other) settings have no effect on a DNG photo.

Wrong, both of these photos came from screen grabs of 4K video.

I have been able to capture this quality of still photos from 4K video.

I can also pull almost unlimited pics, as 20 minutes of video at 30 fps equals 36,000 frames to choose from !!!Beaumont Inn Still.jpg

Reactions: isaacmacryan
I use the factory settings 0 - 0- - 0 all zero's and my pics come out fine.View attachment 16327 View attachment 16326
Actually if you click on your picture and make it large you can see the trees are mooshy. Same as whats in my video. From all that i read anything at 0 or below on sharpening makes it mushy. I am about to go take some samples of the sharpening and see what i get. Ill post the results.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treknotika