DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am i the only one who gets dizzy when watching at his drone while flying ?

crucx

Reactions
Hey. So i just did my first flight today with my new mavic air (this is my first drone ever btw). I had to wait over 8 weeks till it arrives and till there, i was watching a lot of drone videos, guides and footages :) cuz i couldn't wait anymore to do all these things.

When i started flying today, already at a height of 20 meters i got dizzy. It looked like my air would be over 100 meters high already but i was ignoring my feel and i was keep flying higher and keep looking at the drone, and not the camera / phone. After a height of 80, i was close to vomit so i decided to land for a moment the drone.
On the next try when i calmed down, i started just looking at the camera of the drone through the phone and everything was fine there. Didn't got any dizzy at all.
I felt like i would fear heights even if i was on the ground. It felt like the drone was the ground and i was far in the skies (i have legit fear from height and i dont know how this came. My fear from heights came randomly at a age of 16. Before 16 i was even living in the last floor which was like over 100 meters high and there was a balcony and when i went there to look at the grounds, i never got scared till i hit 16 somehow...).

I was getting paranoia when i was flying that drone. I also started thinking that my mavic air could just fall any time or lose connection and hit a building or something instead of flying back even if it was close to me except the heights. Specially because it was super expensive for me and i have no job. I get rent and i am forced to not work sadly because appearance issues which is really sad. I have a lot of talents, i had the best graduation but yeah. Nobody wants a guy like me to work. I get really less money monthly for basically doing nothing which annoys me. And i have some hope that this drone (once i fought my fear and got experienced enough) could bring me some money somehow.

Anyways. Is it just me with that feel or how do you guys feel / felt when you flew the first time ever ?

I just went to the park a second time to fly my drone again ago an hour with a mate who has also a mavic air. He unlocked somehow his max distance so he can fly further than 500 meters but thats not legit in our country. I told him to not do it but he said he is doing it since years and nothing happened ever.
Still i wont do what he did. I watched him flying his drone. I looked at his drone and he flew like 150 meters high and 200+ meters away from himself and then i couldn't see his drone in the skies anymore and i started passing out almost omg. I was like "dude... what if it crashes..." and he was like "i have even reached over 4Km with that drone many many times even over the river. Trust me".
After few minutes he started flying back and i calmed down O_O.

• Wow
Reactions: Gindra
Not something I have experienced, I wonder if it was due to the stress / concentration of your first flights and being afraid to crash the drone. I'd say just start by keeping the drone a comfortable distance from yourself, and build up from there, no need to fly it way off into the distance.

Reactions: Gindra and crucx
Thanks, that helps a lot :). Yeah i was really stressed and full of fear.

Reactions: Slade
It sounds like you are suffering some anxiety due to not really being fully confident with your drones capabilities.
I would suggest you don’t do any high flying for a while. Just fly it out in front of yourself. Keep it close and get used to the different controls. Build your distance and height slowly as you start to gain confidence in your drone and your own abilities. Test out the RTH function a few times, so you can see how good this is if you ever need to use it.
Remember that you don’t have anything to prove to anyone else and don’t need to be pushing anything until you are ready.
Take it slow and play safe :)

Thank you so much dear. When i took off the first time with the drone, my fears started out of nowhere. When i was watching all these youtube videos before my drone even arrived, i was so calm and relaxed and so excited. But on my first flight i had no fun since i was full of fear.
Yeah i will start slowly.

Wait until you get to the stage of sending it on a waypoints mission BVLOS. The sphincter muscle working overtime for the first mission.
Always remember, that if you feel yourself becoming overwhelmed, just take fingers of controls, the bird will stay put, and gather yourself before taking control again. We really are lucky with these modern craft having great flight controllers that can maintain attitude when not receiving and commands.
You will get there. Thumbswayup

You're not alone. I have found myself at various levels of anxiety when out buzzing around at times, especially over water.

Comes from watching and reading of all of the issues people across the world have run into, so I'm always in the mindset of "when will it happen to me" and almost every flight I am waiting for it to happen to me.

The more I can get out and actually get it off the ground I am building the confidence back up again. Monitoring logs, for battery issues/cell deviations, checking for IMU/compass calibration issues before every flight, and only adjusting when I see an issue - eg, I am physically pointing drone north and the compass is not matching.

Otherwise it's just a human psyche thing - you'll hear more of the bad feedback than good. So the non-events far out-weigh the "I just crashed what did I do wrong?"

Reactions: Gindra and crucx
You're not alone. I have found myself at various levels of anxiety when out buzzing around at times, especially over water.

Comes from watching and reading of all of the issues people across the world have run into, so I'm always in the mindset of "when will it happen to me" and almost every flight I am waiting for it to happen to me.

The more I can get out and actually get it off the ground I am building the confidence back up again. Monitoring logs, for battery issues/cell deviations, checking for IMU/compass calibration issues before every flight, and only adjusting when I see an issue - eg, I am physically pointing drone north and the compass is not matching.

Otherwise it's just a human psyche thing - you'll hear more of the bad feedback than good. So the non-events far out-weigh the "I just crashed what did I do wrong?"
Ironically, flying over water is the safest thing you can do! No obstructions to run into. Unobstructed LOS. It's not going to just randomly drop out of the sky!

Reactions: skyrex and Gindra
Probably not stress or fear. You need to get a ultrasound of your carotid arteries. Could reveal a partial blockage that is further restricted by craning your head back to look up.

In my case I have a physical abnormality that pinches the carotids when Leaning my head back to look up. This cuts off blood flow to my brain and makes me dizzy. No more ladder climbing for me.

Go see your doctor.

Some people has this phobia and don't even know they had till things like flying a drone comes about

Anablephobia

Anablephobia is the fear of of looking up. The origin of the word ana is Greek (meaning up), ble is Latin (meaning result of the act of) and phobia is Greek (meaning fear). Anablephobia is considered to be a specific phobia, which is discussed on the home page. Anablephobia is also known as Anablepophobia

Just a small question: Lets say there is something 2.000 meters away from me that i want to capture. So i have to take off my drone (mavic air) and fly all the way there. Should i use sport mode till i arrive to the destination and then turn it back off and do the capture ? or should i fly in normal mode all the way there ?
Which of these 2 ways costs me less battery ? i wont fly that far since i am not allowed to, but i want to know what's effective.

Also, does recording drain any battery ? if not, i can hit the record button straight before taking off till to the destination.

Last edited:
When i started flying today, already at a height of 20 meters i got dizzy. It looked like my air would be over 100 meters high already but i was ignoring my feel and i was keep flying higher and keep looking at the drone, and not the camera / phone. After a height of 80, i was close to vomit so i decided to land for a moment the drone.
On the next try when i calmed down, i started just looking at the camera of the drone through the phone and everything was fine there. Didn't got any dizzy at all.

Do you stand and watch it or sit in a chair. Some folks need to sit while flying.

I have noticed the feelings of vertigo flying the drone. Looking up, there are times of feeling unbalanced. For me I have put this down to my age, am 67 yrs old, more than anything else. Looking at the screen alleviates the feeling.

Reactions: eldvisuals
It sounds like you are suffering some anxiety due to not really being fully confident with your drones capabilities.
I would suggest you don’t do any high flying for a while. Just fly it out in front of yourself. Keep it close and get used to the different controls. Build your distance and height slowly as you start to gain confidence in your drone and your own abilities. Test out the RTH function a few times, so you can see how good this is if you ever need to use it.
Remember that you don’t have anything to prove to anyone else and don’t need to be pushing anything until you are ready.
Take it slow and play safe :)
Well put - I'm a newb ie as well and your suggestions are my plans. :)

Reactions: crucx
Ironically, flying over water is the safest thing you can do! No obstructions to run into. Unobstructed LOS. It's not going to just randomly drop out of the sky!
That is true, nothing to hit. Where I am (Australia - not sure if same applies for other locations in the world) manned aircraft are allowed to fly below 500ft and do - particularly heli's and microlites. Had one heading straight for me on my last flight out over water - because it was low it snuck up on me, I couldn't distinctively hear it or identify it's direction to where I was. It sounded like a small outboard motor until it was in my VLOS.
Anyways that's a fair bit off topic for this thread.. Invertigo when standing near an edge like a cliff or on a boat jetty is daunting enough, then adding looking up and not having a visual reference to ground when you're trying to keep sight of your craft adds that bit of extra spice to the mix. That's happened to me too. I used to be good on ladders, not so much anymore or at least at the moment.

BrianS mentioned a medical related issue, I would be going to get it checked out even just for peace of mind. Also something simple like a regular sleeping pattern also works wonders too, something I'm guilty of not having!

I have noticed the feelings of vertigo flying the drone. Looking up, there are times of feeling unbalanced. For me I have put this down to my age, am 67 yrs old, more than anything else. Looking at the screen alleviates the feeling.
At 74 I have a similar problem. If I try and look straight up i feel I am not balanced. Recently had a check up to check my balance and Physio said I am good for my age but age does have an impact.

You have a talent for expressing your feelings. And I admire your courage to describe your fear and vertigo. I too have a new drone, M2P, and feel the same way. You're smart to tell your story here and inspire others to give you encouragement and advice. Your story helps other beginners ...

Reactions: crucx
Thank you.

Well, i flew now my drone a lot of times. My fear is almost gone. I don't get dizzy anymore. I am just a bit scared to fly to close to objects cuz the sensors could fail detecting objects. Like, today i wanted to fly at the roof of the church close as possible. When i looked on my phone, it looked like i would be close enough. When i made a video capture and looked the video on my pc, i was over 50 meters far away still from it haha. I am also scared a bit still to fly with a lower altitude because antennas etc. and its hard to see them on a small phone like my iphone 6S. But my fear is mostly gone :). I dont fear anymore that the drone could fall on the ground while flying or hovering in the air haha. I have flown it a lot of times now :).

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjiekun