DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

AMA insurance if not at an RC club airfield?

theskyisthelimit99

Reactions
I typically always have AMA insurance each year.. but i'm curious.. does anyone know or have experience when using AMA insurance outside of an actual club field?

IE: say you have your mavic at a soccer field in a park, you are flying around the perimeter and suddenly something goes wrong and it strikes a vehicle (battery loss etc).. If you have ama insurance does this somehow protect or help you in terms of potential damage to another vehicle/home (or worst case a human) in a freak accident?

I want to say that the verbage by AMA seems to indicate you must have taken off from a club field.. but i'm not positive?

Thanks in advance

Good question. I thought I read that being on an AMA field was not a requirement for AMA drone insurance.

However, AMA insurance may be too restrictive to be effective. Meaning, in order for the AMA insurance to pay out, the flight would have to be strictly within the FAA guidelines. Well, if the flight were strictly within the restrictive FAA guidelines, there's little need for insurance.

A commercial pilot on this forum once replied that he buys $1M of coverage for $70 a month. For my needs, that's steep.

What concerns me about drone liability insurance, is the preclusion of an accident.

By contrast, if you have an automobile accident, you were likely not within the boundaries of safe driving. i.e. you rear end a car, but you were not a safe X number of car lengths behind the car. The auto insurance will pay. They will likely raise your rates, but they'll pay.

I suspect that if you have an accident like you describe, the insurer will not pay, because the flight did not meet absolutely all of the FAA flight guidelines.

I feel like I am in a catch -22 of sorts. If I fly strictly within the FAA guidelines, it's boring.
However, if I fly outside of the FAA guidelines, I am over exposed to liability for what is no more than a battery powered 2 lb flying camera.

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661