DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazing what can cripple you!

Sparc343

Reactions
When I first started this hobby, I was SO "gung ho" I was flying literally every day. It did consume my life, a lot of it! I also started building a "fleet" so I could also try many different machines. I started studying for my 107 and so on and so forth. Then, it happened. My "drone phone" as I call it took a poop. That's, unfortunately all it took, to hinder my ability to fly. Other things did also crop up that I had realized I was actually neglecting due to my new overpowering hobby and I did figure "this would be a good time to go ahead and take care of those". I may also be getting old but the thought of then having to buy a, most likely expensive, phone or other device for flying in the future.

Well, I did also decide that a phone would no longer be large enough of a screen that I should most certainly go with a tablet to fly. So I even purchased a nice "large" tablet. Well, of course then that will not fit in the remotes for the various drones in my "fleet". So everything continued to sit around a little more. I did get to tend to other necessary things that I had been neglecting. Well within this last week, I decided "enough is enough"! This stuff has started collecting enough dust, I NEED to get a tablet mount. I was really hoping to find one, NOT on "amazon" (I HATE amazon) but alas I just bit the bullet and ordered the one on amazon. It is supposed to be a pretty darn good one...

So, my awesome new tab mount is here! I am (re) downloading all the necessary "software" to fly, and cannot wait to "get back into it"! But just thinking about all this, it's actually pretty amazing what can hinder a hobby, especially one like this. Now, sure, I could have done all this within a period of a day, or week, or other short duration; but that's not really the relevant part right now. Sure I may have "slacked around" and took my time but, it's still "amazing" that merely having one small cog (my drone phone) break, could cause this much of a ripple effect, hindering this AWESOME hobby!

Any way and nonetheless ~ I AM BACK :D

PS) it's not like I can really fly in "summer" anyway (besides at night); the AZ sun would probably (literally) blow up the battery in (any) drone if I even tried LOL

@Sparc343 glad to hear you are back among us again

Reactions: Sparc343
I'll bet plenty of people fly in AZ in the summer. Keep the tablet in the shade...but I'd guess (dunno) that the drones will fly even in AZ heat. Anyone have experience flying at 110F? (or whatever ridiculous temps you guys get...)

Reactions: shb
I'll bet plenty of people fly in AZ in the summer. Keep the tablet in the shade...but I'd guess (dunno) that the drones will fly even in AZ heat. Anyone have experience flying at 110F? (or whatever ridiculous temps you guys get...)

Many of the user manuals or general information I have seen/read states that you pretty much shouldn't fly in or above something like only 95°F !!!

I personally think I'd probably actually go up to about 100° or MAYBE even 105°; I think I'd say 105° is about where I personally start to get uncomfortable...

But as far as the "hottest" AZ has ever "seen", that "record" I believe is actually 130°F / 54.44444°C !!!!!!!

I do know, believe it or not, since I actually live without AC (air conditioning) (yes that's right I do not have AC in my house OR car) that my cell phone battery literally blew up from the heat out here. So, yes, I'm sure the battery in a drone would be no different when flying in those kinds of temps. They would swell and eventually "blow up" with continued use in those kinds of temps! And that's probably why most of the users manuals for these things say to not fly @ or above ~95°F... .. .

I re-reviewed, because I wanted to know for sure, the user manuals for some of the drones in my "fleet".

It does appear my 95°F was too low; most of them DO appear to say that "OPERATING TEMPERATURE" is indeed 0° to 40° C (32° to 104° F)

At least that is what is says in the manual for my: DJI Mini 2, Autel Evo Nano+, AND the FIMI x8 mini (they're all the exact same on the operating temp spec)

A bit OT:
I do know, believe it or not, since I actually live without AC (air conditioning) (yes that's right I do not have AC in my house OR car) that my cell phone battery literally blew up from the heat out here. So, yes, I'm sure the battery in a drone would be no different when flying in those kinds of temps. They would swell and eventually "blow up" with continued use in those kinds of temps! And that's probably why most of the users manuals for these things say to not fly @ or above ~95°F... .. .
No house or car AC in Phoenix?? I grew up down there in the 1950's when house AC wasn't all that common yet (or in cars either) and the only thing I really recall about summer was how horrible it was - and that was when there wasn't anywhere near the amount of cement and asphalt you have down there now. How can you even find a car without built in AC these days?

Reactions: AZDave and Sparc343
A bit OT:

No house or car AC in Phoenix?? I grew up down there in the 1950's when house AC wasn't all that common yet (or in cars either) and the only thing I really recall about summer was how horrible it was - and that was when there wasn't anywhere near the amount of cement and asphalt you have down there now. How can you even find a car without built in AC these days?

Yes. To be technical the car did come with AC, it's merely "broken". The only problem is, I drive a Prius (work and personal car at this point) because I do driving for work (uber lyft doordash etc). And the compressor is SHOT. Well, on a Prius the compressor itself is like $2000; so, I will NOT be replacing it... I can live without it! But apparently my phone cannot LOL

I have pretty much learned that, when it's actually "that hot" I just don't even turn my phone on. That's pretty much the only way it will survive temps like 122°F. They definitely would not be able to charging at those high temps, and they barely even function at those temps. And when doing things like uber lyft doordash etc, it almost needs to "stay" plugged in. Which is of course even worse for the battery, and even worse in high temps...

I do realize I will not even be able to take passengers in a vehicle for hire, without AC, especially here. Which is why I am going to be limiting myself to courier and delivery services moving forward. Because, and again, there's NO way I am footing something like $2500 to "fix" my cars AC (again, I can live without it) :)

Oh, and it's not like I have "nothing" to keep cool. I have (or will have) a hot tub, pool, and an evaporative "swamp" cooler! I just don't need AC! (I am completely off grid and so AC is literally just a WASTE of the other kind of AC, Alternating Current) ;)

I am also just "DONE" with Chitcago/IL between the politics and the weather! I can happily live the rest of my life without EVER seeing that crap known as snow again! I HATE the cold, I HATE snow (did like it as a child though), and I HATE Illinois politics!!! I will likely die in AZ, as I am LOVING it here!!!

Last edited:
Just pick the official DJI sunhood and any cheap phone, nothing can beat that. I tried to fly with the tablet but was too bulky, small screens also help to frame better.

Drones are one of the best and most complete hobbies around, also quite thrilling due to karens/RID/Aeroscope/legislation and nonsensical persecution.

Reactions: Mrprop365
At 110 (or higher!), it’s just too miserable to fly, even if i can find shade. My Arizona summer flying is primarily before 9:00 a.m. or around sunset. 🥵

At 110 (or higher!), it’s just too miserable to fly, even if i can find shade. My Arizona summer flying is primarily before 9:00 a.m. or around sunset. 🥵

What area are you in/around ~ if you don't mind my asking? I'm always open to meeting new flying friends! I am in/near the Casa Grande area myself ;)

When I first started this hobby, I was SO "gung ho" I was flying literally every day. It did consume my life, a lot of it! I also started building a "fleet" so I could also try many different machines. I started studying for my 107 and so on and so forth. Then, it happened. My "drone phone" as I call it took a poop. That's, unfortunately all it took, to hinder my ability to fly. Other things did also crop up that I had realized I was actually neglecting due to my new overpowering hobby and I did figure "this would be a good time to go ahead and take care of those". I may also be getting old but the thought of then having to buy a, most likely expensive, phone or other device for flying in the future.

Well, I did also decide that a phone would no longer be large enough of a screen that I should most certainly go with a tablet to fly. So I even purchased a nice "large" tablet. Well, of course then that will not fit in the remotes for the various drones in my "fleet". So everything continued to sit around a little more. I did get to tend to other necessary things that I had been neglecting. Well within this last week, I decided "enough is enough"! This stuff has started collecting enough dust, I NEED to get a tablet mount. I was really hoping to find one, NOT on "amazon" (I HATE amazon) but alas I just bit the bullet and ordered the one on amazon. It is supposed to be a pretty darn good one...

So, my awesome new tab mount is here! I am (re) downloading all the necessary "software" to fly, and cannot wait to "get back into it"! But just thinking about all this, it's actually pretty amazing what can hinder a hobby, especially one like this. Now, sure, I could have done all this within a period of a day, or week, or other short duration; but that's not really the relevant part right now. Sure I may have "slacked around" and took my time but, it's still "amazing" that merely having one small cog (my drone phone) break, could cause this much of a ripple effect, hindering this AWESOME hobby!

Any way and nonetheless ~ I AM BACK :D

PS) it's not like I can really fly in "summer" anyway (besides at night); the AZ sun would probably (literally) blow up the battery in (any) drone if I even tried LOL
I was just flying in the Arizona desert a month ago. I flew FPV with an observer and had no problems in the bright sun and 97 degree temperature. I got some fabulous shots.

Reactions: Sparc343

@Sparc343

If you or anyone else is up near Black Canyon City let meet and Fly😀

That would be quite a hike for me, as I am down between Phoenix and Tucson in the CG (Casa Grande) area; but maybe one day, somewhere, we could meet up...!

Just pick the official DJI sunhood and any cheap phone, nothing can beat that. I tried to fly with the tablet but was too bulky, small screens also help to frame better.

Drones are one of the best and most complete hobbies around, also quite thrilling due to karens/RID/Aeroscope/legislation and nonsensical persecution.

I could "see" that (smaller screens being better for 'framing') but, larger screens I would think would be better for SAR type "missions" (search and rescue). So, like with *everything* else in life/reality: There's "pros and cons" to *EVERYTHING* ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian