DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An experiment with the Mavic and audio capturing

tubedroner

Reactions
Tried out audio recording with the Mavic today. Used my phone as a sound recorder and my hands as a clapperboard so the audio was synced, eventhough it didn't matter that much in this case. Could still be useful for example when shooting loud fireworks or even a music video. Just like it is in real movie-productions, sound and picture separated :) This scene had a lovely sound with the water running and birds chirping, could have gotten really nice audioscape with proper equipment! Now the wind was the enemy with the phone. Additionally, I don't know what Youtube does to audio, but the levels were lowered significantly when the clip had loaded, they were perfectly fine in Premiere.

Reactions: paulbeumer
How did you sync the sound with the video? Some more details would be good. Cheers,.

Tried out audio recording with the Mavic today. Used my phone as a sound recorder and my hands as a clapperboard so the audio was synced, eventhough it didn't matter that much in this case. Could still be useful for example when shooting loud fireworks or even a music video. Just like it is in real movie-productions, sound and picture separated :) This scene had a lovely sound with the water running and birds chirping, could have gotten really nice audioscape with proper equipment! Now the wind was the enemy with the phone. Additionally, I don't know what Youtube does to audio, but the levels were lowered significantly when the clip had loaded, they were perfectly fine in Premiere.

Very nice mate. I bet this place looks amazing in the spring.

Sent from my LGMS550 using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: tubedroner
How did you sync the sound with the video? Some more details would be good. Cheers,.
Hi twinchrissy,

First, I started recording on both the Mavic and audio on my phone. Then I simply turned the drone to record me and clapped my hands together with a large movement, like they do with a clafferboard, making sure that the moment of impact could be clearly seen on the video. At the same time a made sure, that the clap would make a clear spike on the audio meter. Then I kept both rolling. In editing, I imported the audio file to my timeline, searched the "clap-spike" on the waveform and matched it to the very frame that my hands got together on the video. Ta-dah, audio in sync! At least for the needs of an amateur hobbyist.

Reactions: twinchrissy
Thanks tubedroner. Ok, I'm probably being dense but I can see you got an audio file and a video file but what software did you use to combine them? Was it iMovie or Final Cut or something like that? Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks tubedroner. Ok, I'm probably being dense but I can see you got an audio file and a video file but what software did you use to combine them? Was it iMovie or Final Cut or something like that? Cheers.
I use Adobe Premiere Elements 15 for editing, just imported the audio to my project and used it on the audio track.

maybe even dangle it with a string below to help avoid the prop noise? also some foam over the receiver for wind? I may just have to test this!
I wouldn't go through too much trouble trying to attach any audio recorder to the drone. Better off using a separate device separate from the drone, there's hardly any use for the propeller noise. I could see someone doing a stand-upper while facing the drone somewhere up and talking to a mic attached to a separate device and syncing audio as described.

I wonder if they can make a mini boom mic and attach it to the drone via the input....

Sent from [emoji211]

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM