DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ANGRY GOLFERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

swings16

Reactions
As you may know i live in NYC and the places to fly here are ...RARE..as in..only ONE !

it was my first time there and it went badly

It was a section of a NYC park that was added 50+ years ago for hand held /fly by wire GAS powered Airplanes

The place is long gone but the remnants are still there..all broken concrete and next to an abandoned roadway

all of this WONDERFULLNESS and it is adjacent to a NYC Golf course

The golf course is heavily fenced in with decades of plant life wrapping around the fencing to a point where you can barely see inside to view the course

I was flying along and adjacent to the course and then i flew OVER and UP ...way UP above the fence

Coincidentally or NOT as soon as i did that a golf ball came sailing by me narrowly missing me

i went to the fence and yelled in...ANYBODY LOSE A BALL ?

There was no response

I won't fly OVER again but i will fly in that stretch of the golf course...i will be on MY..OUR..side of the fence and i WILL go back

it is a 200 yard + stretch of abandoned roadway...HUGE trees on both sides...plenty of room to fly

ALSO...i thought there was something wrong while flying up the road..it seemed to me as i flew(level) the Evo was lowering to the ground

I forgot that it stays at the level it was set at ! The Evo was keeping LEVEL to the road going UP !

I still have so much to learn

i will now review the Video...IF i see that it was thrown AT ME...There will be a problem for THEM

Thanks ALL...Martin/Swings16/NYC

I"m not taking sides, but as a golfer I know the sound of the drone would be pretty irritating.

Coincidentally, I flew over our local course yesterday evening. I have two courses just a block from me. I was about 400' high, so there's little chance anybody noticed it.

Are you talking about the Model Airplane Field at Forest Park? If so, the trees are pretty high there, so it's hard to really move beyond that field and maintain VLOS in my experience. Not the best place to fly unfortunately.

Many airports are adjacent to golf courses.
It seems that our little toys shouldn't be that much of a distraction.
But then... "people"... it takes all kinds.
While you're out there, look for golf balls and collect them. You can buy a new set of props or something. :cool:

The temptation to have a swing at a drone flying over the course would be pretty hard to resist. In the unlikely event you managed to hit it there would be little hope of proving it wasn’t an accident. Outside the fence line different story.

Are you talking about the Model Airplane Field at Forest Park? If so, the trees are pretty high there, so it's hard to really move beyond that field and maintain VLOS in my experience. Not the best place to fly unfortunately.

YES...You are correct...HUGE Trees and the drone makes a racket but i was in the clouds..i wanted to get a full visual of the expanse of the field...I made the mistake of doing what i thought would be acceptable...They seemed to be uptight and to respond like that shows me that they were being [Language Removed by Admin] about it all...i went through a hole in the many huge trees,went all the way up and i get a Golf ball thrown at me...could have seriously hurt me or anyone nearby...NOT acceptable no matter how you look at it...I had the bird in sight at all times (i am overly cautious ) and i was in and out in less than a minute(going above the course)...i was very happy at first having found What i thought would have been a fine place to fly...am i breaking any laws by flying there ? I meant no harm...there was nothing out of line on my part...Uptight pricks throwing a golf ball at me...Totally unacceptable

Last edited by a moderator:
Or more likely, based on just one errant ball and no communication, simply inaccurate golfers.

The ball was coming my way a minute or less after i flew above the course...not a coincidence...they were sending me a message...i was shocked and i actually called out to them as i thought it was an errant ball at first...they did not respond

The ball was coming my way a minute or less after i flew above the course...not a coincidence...they were sending me a message...i was shocked and i actually called out to them as i thought it was an errant ball at first...they did not respond

So on the basis of one golf ball, you have entirely ruled out a coincidence? And even if they saw the drone - how would they have known where you were?

Isn't there a rule about flying over sporting events? Could a golf course with active players on the fairways be considered a sporting event?
NO oh let me clarify a major PGA golf event might be considered a sporting event but I think and corect me if Im wrong the rule state Over stadiums not golf courses. but still I stay away from a PGA tour event.

Isn't there a rule about flying over sporting events? Could a golf course with active players on the fairways be considered a sporting event?
NO oh let me clarify a major PGA golf event might be considered a sporting event but I think and corect me if Im wrong the rule state Over stadiums not golf courses. but still I stay away from a PGA tour event.

I would add that if the course was crowded, it would be difficult to fly over it without breaking the rule about not flying directly over people.

Reactions: Bigbird48
So on the basis of one golf ball, you have entirely ruled out a coincidence? And even if they saw the drone - how would they have known where you were?
They were aware of me...they heard the drone...i am not ruling out coincidence ..common sense tells me what happened...i see the guys playing..i send up a noisy drone and i am almost clipped with a golf ball...POSSIBLE coincidence ...not at all probable..OVER + DONE with ..it happened, it is over..i would like to put this to rest..not worth MY time or any of you all///Thanks for all the input

Using your logic, the golfer could claim you deliberately harassed him. He could point out that as soon as he reached that point and went to take a shot, you flew your drone over him within seconds. no way that was coincidence..... he was sending me a message.

Using your logic, the golfer could claim you deliberately harassed him. He could point out that as soon as he reached that point and went to take a shot, you flew your drone over him within seconds. no way that was coincidence......
I don't know the motivation IF they were the ones who clipped a shot that just missed me after firing up and over the fence..coincidence ?...an angry golfer that was annoyed by thinking i was filming HIM/THEM...i have no ill will against anyone...( Mod Removed Comment ).If they were out to break my stones..OK..what can i do ?
I will go elsewhere BUT i thought that after trying EVERYWHERE in NYC i could get a flight in..i will be going UPSTATE this weekend...no sweat no problem...Fly high and wide and my only interactions with people are POSITIVE and happy ones...I am done trying in NYC..sadly,.it is not worth the energy

Reactions: Drgnfli and Johnpol
OVER + DONE with ..it happened, it is over..i would like to put this to rest..not worth MY time or any of you all///Thanks for all the input
Then why did you start the thread. You’ve been here long enough to know where it would go.
Want it put to rest, well I just did.
3A2A0AA2-6ED8-4C25-94BF-753AA410D004.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
do72er