DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another warning about wind...

I did mention it in post #18. I even wrote it in bold ;)
So, if you press the landing button on the remote will the Mavic behave the same as selecting ‘land’ in settings ‘loss of RC signal’? That would be a lot less time consuming than having to go into settings and making a selection while in panic mode.

So, to summarize all these great tips (Porto has summarized most):
1. Avoid flying if the wind speed is up significantly. This would be almost always in southern Alberta...
2. If you can, plan to fly your Mavic out against wind, fly back with. And plan to return with at least 50% battery.
3. If the wind is up somewhat, and you must bring it back against the wind, try a short test run out and back.
4. If you happen to be out over water when wind velocity warnings come up, get above land first, then start back.
5. Fly back with lower altitude if possible, remembering that wind velocity is 20% higher as you get just above trees (stay well above).
6. Flip to Sport mode if you encounter high wind velocities on the way back, because it also turns off the retarding effect of object avoidance, always keeping an eye on the battery.
7. If progress is slow, try tacking. Anecdotal evidence.
8. If you think you are not going to make it back, make the choice while there is still some battery juice left, look for a spot that is accessible by vehicle and by foot (not behind fences with razor wire), where there are not any people around to grab your rig, and perhaps take some localizing photos, and land. It may be wiser to push the landing button rather than left stick down.
9. Do not power down the controller, and as you arrive at the site, and cannot find the Mavic, select Find My Drone.
10. Throughout, do not hyperventilate, freak out or make really bad button selections. Come to think of it, it would be great to have simulation software to prepare for all the bad scenarios people have discussed here. Bee attacks, a train going by, a bird of prey that's a little too interested, lost, etc.

I must have missed something....

Last edited:
So, to summarize all these great tips (Porto has summarized most):
1. Avoid flying if the wind speed is up significantly. This would be almost always in southern Alberta...
2. If you can, plan to fly your Mavic out against wind, fly back with. And plan to return with at least 50% battery.
3. If the wind is up somewhat, and you must bring it back against the wind, try a short test run out and back.
4. If you happen to be out over water when wind velocity warnings come up, get above land first, then start back.
5. Fly back with lower altitude if possible, remembering that wind velocity is 20% higher as you get just above trees (stay well above).
6. Flip to Sport mode if you encounter high wind velocities on the way back, because it also turns off the retarding effect of object avoidance, always keeping an eye on the battery.
7. If progress is slow, try tacking. Anecdotal evidence.
8. If you think you are not going to make it back, make the choice while there is still some battery juice left, look for a spot that is accessible by vehicle and by foot (not behind fences with razor wire), where there are not any people around to grab your rig, and perhaps take some localizing photos, and land. It may be wiser to push the landing button rather than left stick down.
9. Do not power down the controller, and as you arrive at the site, and cannot find the Mavic, select Find My Drone.
10. Throughout, do not hyperventilate, freak out or make really bad button selections. Come to think of it, it would be great to have simulation software to prepare for all the bad scenarios people have discussed here. Bee attacks, a train going by, a bird of prey that's a little too interested, lost, etc.

I must have missed something....
Much better than my summary. I especially like no. 10 :D

Reactions: Tonewheel
So, if you press the landing button on the remote will the Mavic behave the same as selecting ‘land’ in settings ‘loss of RC signal’? That would be a lot less time consuming than having to go into settings and making a selection while in panic mode.
TBH, I've never used the "land" button on the Go4. Changing the RC Signal Lost to Land is very easy though: tap the drone symbol on the top screen --> scroll down to Advance and tap --> Scroll down to RC Signal lost. I always check RC Signal lost before heading out a bit far, so it comes naturally for me.

Setting the RC Signal Lost to Land is to prevent the Mavic from returning to home when you descended to land (when the Mavic is already low, it's quite likely you'll lose signal. Unless you can actually see it / no barriers between RC and AC). I am not sure if tapping the landing button will disable RTH on signal lost. Maybe you want to try it and inform all of us here? :D

Last edited:
you flying 1100 ft away puts you in the same category as those you criticize as taking risks with long flights and unnecessary risks and you cant really say your following LOS rules at 1100 feet.
we all will seem to bend the rules to tailor to our own needs,just saying.
Actually I had my buddy with binoculars watching it the entire time.
I cant see it past about 450 ft.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasperskyy