DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone in Nova Scotia

The QE2 Heliport is shut down until they get a newer/lighter bird, Point pleasant park is where the Lifeflights land now, Windsor Park I believe is now a parking lot so I think the emergency pad is no longer in use. I don't think that there is a restriction on the dockyard, but I wouldn't want to push my luck ;). All the zones up and down the coast are fair game as per the rules that are mentioned in the #Nodronezone letter :)
i do remember reading somewhere that you cannot fly over any Military Base, so dockyard would be off limits, i have also read that you cannot fly in any National Park, so i would assume that would trickle down to Provincial Parks as well.

Im down by Ross Road, pretty much on the border of Lawrencetown.
Once the weather gets a little warmer (June? :rolleyes:) I have a flight planned out on LItchi app for Conrads beach... I plan on doing quite a few flights down that way.... What are you flying?

i do remember reading somewhere that you cannot fly over any Military Base, so dockyard would be off limits, i have also read that you cannot fly in any National Park, so i would assume that would trickle down to Provincial Parks as well.
The way they are running the provincial parks now you could set up a meth lab and get away with it.... nothing in the rules that I have seen but a friend of mine does campground host so I will shoot him an email for his opinion/clarification

You can fly in National park with permission from Park Warden....

Provincial parks would be managed differently. It to say they won't disallow it but different chain of government so one would not impact the other.

I think they meant the 9Km rule is a guideline since recreational drones are class as a model aircraft

Operating a model aircraft (recreational drone) within 9km of an aerodrome would be a violation of CAR 602.45 if the aircraft was being operated in a manner that is hazardous to aviation safety. The 9km (5nm) guideline is provided as guidance on how a recreational user of an unmanned aircraft (a model aircraft by definition) can comply with section 602.45 of the CARs which governs the operation of model aircraft. This regulation states “No person shall fly a model aircraft or a kite or launch a model rocket or a rocket of a type used in a fireworks display into cloud or in a manner that is or is likely to be hazardous to aviation safety”. The guidelines were provided to help those that are less familiar with aviation with how to operate their aircraft in a safe manner. This will keep these aircraft out of most control zones and away from concentrations of manned aircraft. As stated, the 9km (5nm) direction is only guidelines and not a regulations.
Once the weather gets a little warmer (June? :rolleyes:) I have a flight planned out on LItchi app for Conrads beach... I plan on doing quite a few flights down that way.... What are you flying?
I'm flying a Mavic Pro, you?

The letter is interesting. I have to say I like it and don't at the same time, if that makes sense. It opens up a lot of space to fly. The problem as I see it is it leaves things too broad and open for the recreational user.

I'll have to print a copy and keep it with me as I'm sure someone will ask at some point.
I have a copy on my phone as well as the provincial and HRM non-emergency police numbers if it gets dicey (HRM 902-490-5020, RCMP 1-800-272-9670)

Provincial parks would be managed differently. It to say they won't disallow it but different chain of government so one would not impact the other.
Agreed, but i would guess if the Federal Government Implements something to mitigate liability, The Provincial Counterparts would do the same.

Good to know, i go to a fair amount of the Provincial campgrounds in the summertime and would love to bring the Mavic along.
I go all over and I am planning to take mine as well.... I do photography as well and I am really looking forward to the new perspective that the drone will bring

Hi, Just ordered mine, I'm in the Truro area.

Side note, my wife is in the IWK and we are located directly under the helipad. I spend the night there on weekends, her window is facing robie/south towards SMU. I was watching as this dude fly a drone in the field behind the Gorsbrook Elementary for almost an hour straight, I was waiting to see cops come and talk to him but no one bothered with him. Lucky, I guess.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman