DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Assistant Install Worked...Now Wants my Mac Password. Is Assistant Necessary?

Reactions
I really don't want to have to send back this Mini 2. On the DJI Mini 2 support page it says you just can't download Assistant for MaOS 11 or above. I'm running Catalina 10.1.15 on my Macbook Pro. When I download the assistant app, I am getting the message enclosed. Is there a way to get around this?

Support Download Page Link Mini 2:

Apple Message.gif

I really don't want to have to send back this Mini 2. On the DJI Mini 2 support page it says you just can't download Assistant for MaOS 11 or above. I'm running Catalina 10.1.15 on my Macbook Pro. When I download the assistant app, I am getting the message enclosed. Is there a way to get around this?

Support Download Page Link Mini 2:

View attachment 139286
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup
Right click or command-click on the installer and choose "Open". That will bypass the Gatekeeper security.
Give it a try!

Welcome to the forum from the dry lakeless hills of Lake City FL. An irony... I know. If lakes grew here as much as your knowledge will, Lake City would become an ocean. ;)

Welcome again!

Thank you for all the help and feedback. MA2 317 was correct. Right Click on the install pkg. worked. It installed. But it then asked me for my password for My Macbook Pro so the driver could be installed. I just won't turn over the keys to the kingdom to China or anyone else. See images attached.

What can't I do because I choose not to install Assistant 2?

Does it prevent me from updating firmware or anything else?

My understanding is that Assistant collects telemetry and other operational flight information from the drone.
Is this a 'nice to have' or absolutely essential?

Again, thank you for making me feel welcome. I hope your answers aren't show stoppers for me. This is one case when I want someone to tell me what I want to hear...'Not Absolutely Essential' ;>)

Attachments

• Mac Password Assistant Required #2.gif
    Mac Password Assistant Required #2.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Mac Password Assistant Required #1.gif
    Mac Password Assistant Required #1.gif
    37.3 KB · Views: 5
Thank you for all the help and feedback. MA2 317 was correct. Right Click on the install pkg. worked. It installed. But it then asked me for my password for My Macbook Pro so the driver could be installed. I just won't turn over the keys to the kingdom to China or anyone else. See images attached.

My understanding is that Assistant collects telemetry and other operational flight information from the drone.

Again, thank you for making me feel welcome. I hope your answers aren't show stoppers for me. This is one case when I want someone to tell me what I want to hear...'Not Absolutely Essential' ;>)

Assistant 2 isn't really needed for normal operation. You can update firmware with Assistant, but you can do that directly from your mobile device as well. There are some advanced calibration procedures (for the visual sensors) that you can only do with Assistant, but they aren't usually needed unless your drone is in a severe crash.

Thank you for all the help and feedback. MA2 317 was correct. Right Click on the install pkg. worked. It installed.

Credit where credit is due...

@Drone Master is the one that provided the information on the "clicking". :)

Glad to hear ya got 'er going. 👍

I've been flying since 2017 and haven't used the DJI assistant once for updates.

Wi-Fi is fine. ☮️

I just won't turn over the keys to the kingdom to China or anyone else. See images attached.
You're not "giving the keys to whatever", you're allowing the app to install. Just like any other pkg installer needs authentication to run.

But no, Assistant is usually never needed unless for troubleshooting.

It doesn't send your password anywhere, it's needed for the system to make changes to your security to allow it to be installed since it's not in the Apple Store. That's to keep other people from adding software to your machine without your permission.

You're not "giving the keys to whatever", you're allowing the app to install. Just like any other pkg installer needs authentication to run.

But no, Assistant is usually never needed unless for troubleshooting.
Not quite.

Sounds like app is improperly digitally signed. Meaning it could be the copy you have is not from the author and hacked. Not that it is hacked. Apple just can’t prove it’s not hacked. That’s what the message is saying. No, normal apps don’t need that override.

Also some apps ask for permission to access things like folders, contacts, location. If you trust that developer you are giving the keys to whatever. Not that anything China can’t be trusted ;)

And if it is a “driver” you are installing, you are basically giving it the keys to everything.

It doesn't send your password anywhere, it's needed for the system to make changes to your security to allow it to be installed since it's not in the Apple Store. That's to keep other people from adding software to your machine without your permission.
Apps outside the App store can be properly secured. DJI either doesn’t know how or chooses not too. As well as not use the App store. Kind of the same security level as say college hackers or malicious hackers ;)

OP has a right to be concerned. This is not normal for a large corporation.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Thank you for all the feedback on this issue. I have had 7 data breaches in the last year of just about all my personal information. I have had to lock my credit reports and literally receive 2-3 email & text phishing attempts per day. Lifelock and Identity GuardI have not even reported any breaches or say my data was found anywhere in their monthly reports. As someone has said, "You're not paranoid if the whole world is really out to get you!"

My sincere apologies to Drone Master. :>( He was the one who provided the solution to opening & downloading the Assistant 2 App. While I could claim neuronal deterioration in my prefrontal cortex, I have no excuse. I will be more careful next time!

I don't know what I would do without such forums and people willing to provide their expertise and personal experiences with these incredible little machines that bring smiles to all our faces.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne