DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

...at the risk of appearing stupid [60fps]

willhay555

Reactions
I bought this incredible thing for photos and I've yet to be disappointed.

I took my fifth flight today and recording 1080p at 60fps.

After research, setting aside the possible poor quality I've read about when shooting at such a high frame rate, an anyone tell me why my footage is in slow motion?

I know nothing about video technique, my love is landscapes but I naively assumed shooting at 60fps would mean I could take say a 120sec clip and speed it up, like a time lapse thing and to do this, I'd need to shoot in 60fps.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I bought this incredible thing for photos and I've yet to be disappointed.

I took my fifth flight today and recording 1080p at 60fps.

After research, setting aside the possible poor quality I've read about when shooting at such a high frame rate, an anyone tell me why my footage is in slow motion?

I know nothing about video technique, my love is landscapes but I naively assumed shooting at 60fps would mean I could take say a 120sec clip and speed it up, like a time lapse thing and to do this, I'd need to shoot in 60fps.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Not quite. You got it backwards.

Here's a little video 101 that should get you where you want to go. :)

First of fps, is frames per second. This means when you're recording the camera will record that many pictures per second in the video. Higher frame rates make for overall smoother video. So when you're playing at 60 fps, your computer will play back 60 images per second. Your computer is probably playing the video at the 30 fps, standard recording speed, and that means it's playing the video at half of the speed. 0.5 seconds/s.

For slo-mos, people record at 120-240 or all the way up to 3600 fps. That way when played at 30 fps on a playback device it can display the slow motion smoothly. Conversely if you want a time-lapse, you use a low frame rate, say 5 fps, and speed that up to 30 fps when playing it back which increases the speed by a factor of 6.

Hope this helps.

That's a huge help, many thanks.

So, with the mavic, I need to shoot in picture mode, say one photo every second, and merge in post?

I recorded two shots of 120secs, one at 30fps and another at 60fps, both in tripod mode and assumed I could simply speed up.

On my first time out I shot at 1080p/30fps and tried to slow down parts where I'd panned around too fast.
It looked pretty ****, quite choppy in post.

I'll have a play around.

Thanks again.

That's a huge help, many thanks.

So, with the mavic, I need to shoot in picture mode, say one photo every second, and merge in post?

I recorded two shots of 120secs, one at 30fps and another at 60fps, both in tripod mode and assumed I could simply speed up.

On my first time out I shot at 1080p/30fps and tried to slow down parts where I'd panned around too fast.
It looked pretty ****, quite choppy in post.

I'll have a play around.

Thanks again.
General rule of thumb, use a high frame rate if you want to slow down, and a low framerate if you want to speed up.

Reactions: willhay555
Thanks.

Looking at the settings again in the app I'm not sure I did shoot at 60fps, but I'll try again next time.

Can you confirm my assumption that I can't create a time lapse with the Mavic in video mode?

It has to be photo mode?

Presumably there's an option to shoot at set intervals?

Reactions: mikeinbox
Thanks.

Looking at the settings again in the app I'm not sure I did shoot at 60fps, but I'll try again next time.

Can you confirm my assumption that I can't create a time lapse with the Mavic in video mode?

It has to be photo mode?

Presumably there's an option to shoot at set intervals?
I cannot confirm such a function exists. I've never really looked for it. But it's not documented to exist.

Reactions: willhay555
You can edit normal video footage later by speeding it up so that it resembles a timelapse created from 100s of stills.
Using tripod mode and very gentle movements you can get something resembling hyperlapse too.

You can edit normal video footage later by speeding it up so that it resembles a timelapse created from 100s of stills.
Using tripod mode and very gentle movements you can get something resembling hyperlapse too.

I used the two minute clip I took an sped it up.

Seems to work but looks **** at standard youtube quality so needs changing.

Not quite. You got it backwards.

Here's a little video 101 that should get you where you want to go. :)

First of fps, is frames per second. This means when you're recording the camera will record that many pictures per second in the video. Higher frame rates make for overall smoother video. So when you're playing at 60 fps, your computer will play back 60 images per second. Your computer is probably playing the video at the 30 fps, standard recording speed, and that means it's playing the video at half of the speed. 0.5 seconds/s.

For slo-mos, people record at 120-240 or all the way up to 3600 fps. That way when played at 30 fps on a playback device it can display the slow motion smoothly. Conversely if you want a time-lapse, you use a low frame rate, say 5 fps, and speed that up to 30 fps when playing it back which increases the speed by a factor of 6.

Hope this helps.

I wanted you to know I still pop back to this comment now and again to brush up.

Again; thanks.

Reactions: Cyberpower678
I cannot confirm such a function exists. I've never really looked for it. But it's not documented to exist.

You can shoot at set intervals in photo mode.
Camera settings/Photo/Interval/ 2-60s interval in jpg or 10-60s interval in raw.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vlad_Zherikhov