DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Australia - Drone Licensing from July 1st 2019

Hey Phil, are your contact details up to date with CASA?
I know I got emails asking to comment etc in the consultation stage??
I dont see them emailing anyone, you take the test, competant or not yet so, and move on?? It will surely be all automated.
Compliance!! Absolutely is an issue! I cringe when I see CASA saying that they have it sorted with Aeroscope deployed everywhere, and Bunnings and Kmart and Harvey Norman selling non DJI drones, that Aeroscope cant even see!!
Interesting times ahead!

Hey Phil, are your contact details up to date with CASA?
I know I got emails asking to comment etc in the consultation stage??
I dont see them emailing anyone, you take the test, competant or not yet so, and move on?? It will surely be all automated.
Compliance!! Absolutely is an issue! I cringe when I see CASA saying that they have it sorted with Aeroscope deployed everywhere, and Bunnings and Kmart and Harvey Norman selling non DJI drones, that Aeroscope cant even see!!
Interesting times ahead!

G'day Simmo
All up to date.
I only recently updated my sub 2kg for another 3 yrs but I suppose that means nothing now.
I participated in the consultation and they sent a summary of my submission to me as a PDF but nothing since.
Yep the toy drones are going to be a problem for everyone.
As I pointed out in my submission the only way to ensure compliance is for them to be registered at point of sale.
Can Aeroscope see you when in airplane mode?
I only ask cause that's how I usually fly.

The speech jibe was aimed at the gender question and the laws being proposed that prohibit you from referring to someone by their genetic sex if they prefer to be addressed otherwise.
You have to be careful with what you hear.
I wouldn't take that item at all seriously.
I doubt that anyone in Australia has heard of it (or would take much notice if it ever came to pass).
If someone who has no way of pushing such a proposition might have suggested that, it doesn't mean anything.
The gun laws haven't stopped people from being murdered, based on the statistics.
I think I'll stick with Australia's murder rate of 0.94 per 100,000 population.
By way of comparison the USA comes in at 5.35, but there are many other countries with higher rates.

Yeah agreed Ma S-O! The Sub 2 kg remains, but hmmm $100+ rego, plus the $20.... I think I'll skip!
Aeroscope see's data from the DJI AC. (If its not DJI, its not TX'ing compatable data, if at all?)
Airplane mode on the RC just turns off mobile data and wifi eh? Doesn't affect the AC.
Aeroscope to my knowledge, cant see the controller location as it has no GPS module.
Granted, most operators would fly from where the AC took off from, so a HP would be recorded.. Aeroscope would see that location for sure..

Reactions: Phill
It was all over the news a week ago.

I think Phil meant he hasn't heard from CASA re the changes.
I haven't either, even a look at their website last week I couldn't find much even in their news sections re the new changes coming.

With an ARN, I did get emails and participate in the survey / consultation process recently.
But many wouldn't know about the changes apart from news arcticles like you posted.

Ha, the article "For the first time, anyone in Australia who wants to fly a drone will have to be accredited by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, making it easier for police to track down miscreants."

Lol, the ones that register / sit their 'license' etc will be the 'honest Joe' that won't break rules (well, at least not blatantly or without some rigorous thought / isolation, or fly NFZs or dangerously) . . . the ones with drones that can't be tracked will register, or not register, it'll be interesting to see how many of those get caught eventually, and if there will be loopholes to avoid penalty.
"Oh sorry, I didn't get any sort of rules or other information with my drone"
"I can't fly here ?"
"Rules ?"
"But I'm 15"
"All over the news ? But I don't watch the news or read forums / news sites"

It will be interesting, but fail to see how well this will work with the miscreant part of our society.

Reactions: Phill
I can confirm. Excluded here after referred to as ERPA will remain. Requires an online educational video and multi choice test estimated to take 31 minutes. Any aircraft you use commercially will cost you somewhere between $100 and $160 per aircraft per year in registration.

Regards
Ari

I can confirm. Excluded here after referred to as ERPA will remain. Requires an online educational video and multi choice test estimated to take 31 minutes. Any aircraft you use commercially will cost you somewhere between $100 and $160 per aircraft per year in registration.

Regards
Ari
Thanks Decado

You have to be careful with what you hear.
I wouldn't take that item at all seriously.
I doubt that anyone in Australia has heard of it (or would take much notice if it ever came to pass).
If someone who has no way of pushing such a proposition might have suggested that, it doesn't mean anything.

I think I'll stick with Australia's murder rate of 0.94 per 100,000 population.
By way of comparison the USA comes in at 5.35, but there are many other countries with higher rates.

Ahem, the UK Standard? There are several but this came up quickest. This has been going on for months.

Oh and I agree that Australians are horrible at killing people! My dad fought in the South Pacific during WWII.

In the more densely populated areas of the country they have similar levels of violent crime, robbery, assault, domestic abuse, rape, etc as any other country. I agree that the lack of guns causes them to be less successful, though. So that's good, I guess...

Again, I appreciate intelligent discourse on occasion. So thanks!

It looks like that report was quite alarmist and doesn't properly reflect what's actually just been passed: Tasmania's transgender community celebrates legislation milestone
It doesn't seem to be threatening free speech.
And it's just Tasmania anyway - that's a very small part of Australia.

Okay if you say so... Seems like you said it was bologna to begin with. There's a ton of this stuff. In 2013 the Gov't actually put out guidelines on how to determine a person's gender!!!! Hahahaha!

https://www.ag.gov.au/Publications/...tGuidelinesontheRecognitionofSexandGender.pdf

I don't know man...I mean person of undetermined gender identity that I understand can be fluid and is totally up to the way you feel at the present time.

Of course, I'm just messing with you! We have all kinds of crazy laws here. Heck, there's talk of eliminating cars, air travel and cows to mitigate global warming!

The RPA registration and accreditation requirements are not proposed to apply to the following:

• RPA 250 grams or less operated recreationally or
  • Model aircraft at CASA-approved model airfields or
  • RPA operated recreationally indoors.

Ok, so model aircraft owners flying their machines are in the same situation as drone flyer hobbyists.
I suppose a lot of then do fly at their club grounds, great fun to watch them too, and many very good vids on youtube.

That's quite annoying. We are on a motorcycle world trip and with all these new regulations everywhere, we might end up in a total mess every time changing the country...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1