DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Autopilot vs Litchi

Deckyon

Reactions
This is not a "will it work with Mavic" thread. I realize the apps have not been updated for the latest DJI drone, I keep looking to see when they are on the App Store. My question is really for those who have use the apps on their other drones, and what the pros/cons are for each. Other than the $7 difference, which one offers the best autonomy and features?

Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

Litchi for DJI Phantom/Inspire

Each has unique features... So, I guess it would depend on what the intended use was.

I have both, just to cover myself.

We've got hundreds of hours of flight time with Autopilot. In the aerial production side of our business we've been using Autopilot on projects since it was first released. It's come such a long ways since its release and has made a lot of our work a lot easier. A very solid app overall with extremely dedicated support. We've recommend many features and changes to the program and they've almost all been implemented in a short timeframe. Autopilot is not for everyone and it can be very overwhelming upon first impression. We have never used Litchi as we've always been extremely satisfied with Autopilot so unfortunately we cannot comment on pros and cons of each but without a doubt can highly recommend Autopilot. Happy to answer any specific questions on features and functionality...

I've used both since P3 was launched. They are quite different in how you interface and setup. Litchi is closer to the DJI GO app. I personally use autopilot for complex movements or missions where I need to "adjust" on the fly. Their flight controller enables ultimate flexibility. I find myself using litchi or DJI GO for basic POI or visual tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Advexure
Thanks for the input so far. I did receive this email from Autoflight, so the same MAY apply to Litchi.

Kerstin Dungan (Autoflight Logic)

Oct 26, 12:22 PM CDT

We will add support for the Mavic as soon as DJI supports it with the SDK.

Kerstin

----
Brad

Oct 26, 11:42 AM CDT

When will the app be updated for the latest DJI drone, Mavic Pro?

Reactions: Skyscope
I use both apps on the P3P and now I'm testing the Beta Version of Autopilot on the Mavic.

Both apps have different advantages.

Pros of Litchi:
Litchi has a VR possibility,
nice Waypoints and the possibility to plan them on the Desktop + batch functions ...
Litchi is closer to the GO app an therefor easier to use.
To me, Litchi is better for free flying (google maps ...)
I prefer the Panomode of Litchi a little
Litchi missions can continue with signal loss without limitation. Autopilot has limits there.
Litchi works on Android an IOS

Pros of Autopilot:
The main reason I use it, ist the Follow funktion, witch is much much better and smoother.
The possibilities of different focus strategies for semi automatic flights are way greater then with Litchi.
Autopilot allows a grid mission. (there are other apps fo this as well)

I personally love Autopilot and I think its strange, that there is so few discussion about it in the Web. And its not like its so super complicatet, that you have to be almost pro to use it. And the Youtube tutorials are awsom.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2nd2non
I am happy to know there are options for this type of app.

Since I have been on the Mavic boards, I have heard so much about Litchi and virtually nothing about Auto Pilot.

Is this because Litchi's app was ready for Mavic sooner?

I personally love Autopilot and I think its strange, that there is so few discussion about it in the Web. And its not like its so super complicatet, that you have to be almost pro to use it. And the Youtube tutorials are awsom.

I agree. I have litchi, AP, and FPV camera. I use them for different functions. When I am serious on autonomous, Cinematic video capture, it's AP hands down (check my page below for some examples). For panos, generic waypoint missions, etc I tend to use the others as I can get going quicker. It's just amazing how powerful the apps are!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6zwRNTzPJCVmuqw-GapnGzJTz19hlc8Y

Anybody know if there is any simple tutorial for Autopilot waypoint mode?

Quick question around Autopilot. Just been having a look at it, and it has loads of features, and I understand how go it is at doing all the pre-programmed flight stuff, but is it just as good for doing free flight, using it for just day to day flying rather than pre programmed stuff?

Thanks

I struggle to find a use for the control apps. Back in my P3S days I used litchi because the range of the P3S sucked so bad but now with the range of the Mavic I find a hard time figuring out what to do with the apps. I really don't need waypoint missions because the range is perfect and I can control the Mavic smoothly and know how to orbit around objects. I have litchi on my phone but never used it yet.

Thanks Keule .... Will do some reading and hopefully some testing this weekend :)

Reactions: Keule
These were shot with Autopilot. I do not think you can orbit a moving object with Litch or DJIGO4? Please correct me if i am incorrect. I have the beta autopilot and they have a function to change the view to that of a view more of the DJI app layout. I have not used it in that i am more familiar with the original layout

I had a reply to my query about "Free Flight" so I could dump DJI GO, Kirstin responded with:

"Autopilot does have two Human Control flight modes which are Black Box and Focus Mode"

I love the terminology "Human Control Flight Modes" :D

So a bit more reading to do on these two modes, then to see if I can get rid of GO.

A big feature for me is Autopilot's Airspace which enables reliable following of a device with GPS and data (a friend's smartphone for example). I find the visual tracking systems in Go4 and Linch prone to lose their target easily. As stated above you can set orbits and on the fly positioning while the drone is locked on target. To add to that you can offset the camera's focus to trail or lead the subject.

I'm happy with both and can get them to do similar missions but Autopilit has the edge over camera control.

For creating missions I think possibly Litchi wins with the excellent Mission hub as working on a desktop is much nicer. You can create the waypoints in Google maps and import them into Autopilot but you will still need a tablet to tune up all the settings.

Autopilot's video tutorials are pretty good compared to Litchi's.

I have both and use both according to the task. I have a trip in December to Mauritius and have drawn up lots of missions already which will save so much time once I'm there.

I can create my missions on the iPad with Autopilot (no connection to bird necessary) and find that there is no advantage to planning on a desktop imo.
I also use FPV and prefer that to Litchi

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan