DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Avata RC Controller Long Sticks vs short sticks

I am intrigued by the Avata. Tell me in a a sentence or two why I would need to buy and fly it along with my M3 and Mini 2. I mostly doe travelogues and short 3 min clips from my region. I am rarely in an environment of open country or woods .
I have a mini 3 pro and M3 and Avata and FPV and the Avata and M3 are now my "go to" drones. The avata can get footage that nothing else can get...at least not as safely...which means you will probably be willing to fly in and around things you would shy away from with the Mini. Having the Avata along will allow you to get footage from a completely different perspective. I absolutely love being able to blend Avata and M3 footage.

I have a mini 3 pro and M3 and Avata and FPV and the Avata and M3 are now my "go to" drones. The avata can get footage that nothing else can get...at least not as safely...which means you will probably be willing to fly in and around things you would shy away from with the Mini. Having the Avata along will allow you to get footage from a completely different perspective. I absolutely love being able to blend Avata and M3 footage.
AKD:
So HERE is what I am not understanding. Why is the Avata so "immune" from collisions? As it has always been with me, I am fearful of flying into things and have had several crashes. They have been devastating and time consuming to replace the drone. As a result, I fly extremely conservatively. I rarely go far or high, or near things. I actually enjoy flying over water for that reason. So explain to me why these little dynamos are able to shift big outcroppings of rocks, and dense trees with tiny branches! I am dumbstruck every time I watch Alex of Bulgaria doing his woodsy and waterfall, thing. What makes this drone so impervious to hitting objects? Is is the goggles? I would hate to wear those! What am I not understanding about the FPV. To add to my aversion I really do not like to watch a weaving flight anymore than I would like to have my commercial jet plane ride drop and dip all over the place. It makes me nauseous.

Dale

It is simply that the Avata has prop guards and equally important the camera is tucked safely back and not sticking it's neck out. The prop guards are much more sturdy than those DJI sells for previous drones. You can certainly dump the Avata if it gets tangled up. My buddy crashed it 5 times flying through cactus during a two week film project but I have at least lightly touched many, many things that did not bring the avata down that would have crashed any of my other drones. When it does go down you have a chance at "turtle" mode that will flip it over and allow you to take off and I've seen that in action a few times too. here is some close in flying I did a while back.
Mav3 and Avata among the Joshua Tree

It is simply that the Avata has prop guards and equally important the camera is tucked safely back and not sticking it's neck out. The prop guards are much more sturdy than those DJI sells for previous drones. You can certainly dump the Avata if it gets tangled up. My buddy crashed it 5 times flying through cactus during a two week film project but I have at least lightly touched many, many things that did not bring the avata down that would have crashed any of my other drones. When it does go down you have a chance at "turtle" mode that will flip it over and allow you to take off and I've seen that in action a few times too. here is some close in flying I did a while back.
Mav3 and Avata among the Joshua Tree
Yes- I had already watched that Joshua Tree film. It was amazing. One more question- what was the stabilizer program you mentioned and is it compatible with Premiere if you know.

Wishing you a happy holiday.

Dale

AKD:
So HERE is what I am not understanding. Why is the Avata so "immune" from collisions? As it has always been with me, I am fearful of flying into things and have had several crashes. They have been devastating and time consuming to replace the drone. As a result, I fly extremely conservatively. I rarely go far or high, or near things. I actually enjoy flying over water for that reason. So explain to me why these little dynamos are able to shift big outcroppings of rocks, and dense trees with tiny branches! I am dumbstruck every time I watch Alex of Bulgaria doing his woodsy and waterfall, thing. What makes this drone so impervious to hitting objects? Is is the goggles? I would hate to wear those! What am I not understanding about the FPV. To add to my aversion I really do not like to watch a weaving flight anymore than I would like to have my commercial jet plane ride drop and dip all over the place. It makes me nauseous.

Dale
The Avata is not for everyone. If. pilots have an aversian to weaving or tilting horizons this is not the drone for you. I admit that I have to sit down when flying with the goggles, which means I have to backpack a chair when hiking out into the desert! If the goal is to fly higher than 100' AGL and do cinematic video and photography then this drone is not a good match. That said the Avata can do all that as well. Crash worries are pretty much gone with this drone. The Goggles provide far better vision and detail than an iPhone and the Avata is far more maneuverable so it is easy to shoot gaps or fly close to objects. In over 100 flights I have had only one minor crash into a branch with no damage. The other thing is the little Avata is built like a tank and will suffer NO damage in most crashes. A video was posted last week of an Avata crashing head on into a concrete wall at 20 mph and it suffered no damage! He had ribbed riders mounted beyond the prop guards which did break off, but the drone itself was undamaged and was immediately flown again. I can provide a link to anyone interested in seeing it. The final reason for some pilots to get ths drone is just plain fun! Even for those who have no intention to post video this drone can greatly enhance outdoor experiences. My wife and I travel a lot and camp out and I usually find myself flying the Avata as soon as we get settled so I can check out the nearby landscapes in ways that only a drone can do. It really is exciting!

The Avata is not for everyone. If. pilots have an aversian to weaving or tilting horizons this is not the drone for you. I admit that I have to sit down when flying with the goggles, which means I have to backpack a chair when hiking out into the desert! If the goal is to fly higher than 100' AGL and do cinematic video and photography then this drone is not a good match. That said the Avata can do all that as well. Crash worries are pretty much gone with this drone. The Goggles provide far better vision and detail than an iPhone and the Avata is far more maneuverable so it is easy to shoot gaps or fly close to objects. In over 100 flights I have had only one minor crash into a branch with no damage. The other thing is the little Avata is built like a tank and will suffer NO damage in most crashes. A video was posted last week of an Avata crashing head on into a concrete wall at 20 mph and it suffered no damage! He had ribbed riders mounted beyond the prop guards which did break off, but the drone itself was undamaged and was immediately flown again. I can provide a link to anyone interested in seeing it. The final reason for some pilots to get ths drone is just plain fun! Even for those who have no intention to post video this drone can greatly enhance outdoor experiences. My wife and I travel a lot and camp out and I usually find myself flying the Avata as soon as we get settled so I can check out the nearby landscapes in ways that only a drone can do. It really is exciting!
Thanks! You have answered all of my questions. I now understand the fun and the decreased risks involved. This drone, as you have pointed out, is not for me. I will be happy to just watch the ones presented on the forum and enjoy them knowing all of this.

My travel photography is very time intensive. A stop at a roadside pullout to film would involve a tripod set up and a 20 minute timelapse with a DSLR, flying my drone during the timelapse, and grabbing a few stills, or many an iPhone motion lapse with the iPhone attached to an OM4 gimbal and mini tripod. A local shoot here in my area would involve finding a close parking spot, dragging at least one if not two backpacks (camera bag and drone bag) on a luggage dolly to the shooting site. When I obtained enough footage for 3 minute of material, I pack up and go home.

Dale

Yes- I had already watched that Joshua Tree film. It was amazing. One more question- what was the stabilizer program you mentioned and is it compatible with Premiere if you know.

Wishing you a happy holiday.

Dale
the program is Gyroflow and you need to shoot with the avata in No Stabilization mode. It exports a video that any NLE will work with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25