DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Batteries taken at Helsinki Airport

Hardball

Reactions
Hi, on a recent flight from Helsinki, my check-in luggage consisted of a mavic pro 1 fly more combo, drone + 3 batteries, all packed tightly in a drone kit case. Unfortunately, both spare batteries were taken out and a piece of notification was found in the bag when I got back. Upon checking the retrieval postage will cost about 160 euro, almost the same as buying two new ones. Maybe it's just my negligence , I always pack this way and never had a problem in other countries. Ironically, back in 2017, if my memory serves, I took the very same drone to Finland and took multiple domestic flights back and forth with no issues.

Just wondering if any one happens to plan to go through Helsinki airport in the near future, maybe you can collect them on my behalf and use them if you like. My next visit to Helsinki won't be until early next year. They both have approximately 20 cycles as far as I can recall.

Otherwise, 30 days later, they would be destroyed, recycled or donated..

K

That is very unfortunate. I guess you packed them inside your checked in baggage? No lithium batteries are allowed to be checked in now, you are supposed to carry them on board with you. Last year, they took away my e-cigarette kit at Frankfurt from inside my checked in baggage, and like you I got a note. I can't imagine the battery inside that to pose any danger at all but I guess no batteries means no batteries. Hope you can manage someone to pick them up for you.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Everything I’ve seen for the past several years says no batteries in checked luggage. Carry on only, unless you are an approved shipper for that product.
Probably some new detection hardware that found your package that maybe wasn’t being used previously.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lithium batteries can be a serious fire hazard and thus should never be packed in your checked luggage. They need to go in your carry on. Almost every airline's website will have these rules detailed.

Hi, on a recent flight from Helsinki, my check-in luggage consisted of a mavic pro 1 fly more combo, drone + 3 batteries, all packed tightly in a drone kit case. Unfortunately, both spare batteries were taken out and a piece of notification was found in the bag when I got back. Upon checking the retrieval postage will cost about 160 euro, almost the same as buying two new ones. Maybe it's just my negligence , I always pack this way and never had a problem in other countries. Ironically, back in 2017, if my memory serves, I took the very same drone to Finland and took multiple domestic flights back and forth with no issues.

Just wondering if any one happens to plan to go through Helsinki airport in the near future, maybe you can collect them on my behalf and use them if you like. My next visit to Helsinki won't be until early next year. They both have approximately 20 cycles as far as I can recall.

Otherwise, 30 days later, they would be destroyed, recycled or donated..

K
Several years ago, before the age of drones, I was asked to leave my seat aboard a flight to the Red Sea, Egypt, to explain to security what a device was that they'd identified as suspicious in my dive baggage before they'd allow it to be loaded in the hold prior to take off. The offending item was a largish nickel metal hydride (NiMH) battery pod for powering an underwater "Pegasus Thruster" scooter for attaching to a scuba tank and used to assist a diver to help combat adverse currents. Once I explained what it was they cleared it but If it had been today and a lithium battery then no way! As others have said no lithium batteries in the hold, only in carry on.

Batteries in check-in luggage is a big no-no. They have the risk of catching fire, remember Samsung’s Note 7? On carry on, it can be put out quickly. In cargo hold, the fire would’ve been out of control before anyone realize it. However remote it is for a battery to catch fire, no airline would want to take the risk.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial