DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best setup for park skiing

Egika

Reactions
I do already have some flying experience with the Mavic, but haven't used the intelligent flight modes much.
Which settings would be recommended for the following scenario:
A series of jumps along a slope in a ski area.
No trees. No people.
I want to fly along a skier that goes over the jumps from top to bottom.
I want to follow the terrain downhill.

My concerns:
1) when using active track or profile modes: will the Mavic decend along the slope? If not automatically - can I make it keep a constant distance from the snow somehow?
2) I could also program two waypoints - start and end. Can I combine the waypoints flight with the active track - profile mode?
3) when between two waypoints - can I adjust the speed and yaw with the RC?

Any other idea how to do this?

Thank you!

1. No. No.
2. No
3. You can set waypoints along the slope with heights you want your Mavic to be at by going to every point and adding it to waypoint mission. You can then make it fly this mission and adjust speed with an on screen slider while freely using yaw to shoot your skier

Sent from my XT1572 using MavicPilots mobile app

If you locked onto a person with active track can't you control the altitude with the controller? So the Mavic will follow the target and you can ascend and descend while it follows? Or do I have that incorrect. I do understand if you are not using the controller no it will not adjust altitude.

Yes, when using active track, you can manually adjust altitude.

Use Active Track in Profile mode and as the skier descends and tracks him you will have to manually control the height. It will take some practice to get it smooth, but possible. Do not try to be too close to the skier with the MP or he will quickly ski out of frame and the MP will loose him before it can react.

I have found active track tends to loose lock on a fast moving object like a skier but it can work if you keep trying.

Following a skier won't give a great shot. Shooting from the side is almost always more dynamic but harder. Good luck and don't forget to share your experience afterwards!

You can try using the Course Lock mode as well. You can control the speed easily but the altitude might be tough. The good thing about course lock is that you can yaw to capture your subject without having to worry about having to look forward if you know you have a clear path. This mode is good for flying backwards and shooting down at a moving subject.

Reactions: leesmavic
Following a skier won't give a great shot. Shooting from the side is almost always more dynamic but harder. Good luck and don't forget to share your experience afterwards!

I was looking for a way to go along at the side. That's why I asked for the profile mode..

Right now it's snowing like hell over here in Japan. No footage yet..

Thanks for all the ideas so far!
If the Mavic could take over two of the three variables (speed, height, camera on skier) that would be helpful..

I was looking for a way to go along at the side. That's why I asked for the profile mode..

Right now it's snowing like **** over here in Japan. No footage yet..

Thanks for all the ideas so far!
If the Mavic could take over two of the three variables (speed, height, camera on skier) that would be helpful..
You may want to youtube Terrain Follow. I think I remember seeing someone getting it to work properly with it tracking on a hill.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki