DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bill to ban drones on Mackinac Island sent to Gov. Whitmer

dancedance

Reactions
LANSING, Mich. — Mackinac Island could enact rules to restrict the use of drones under legislation heading to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer for her expected signature.
The Senate gave unanimous, final approval to the bill Tuesday. The measure stems from a task force that recommended protection for the island because of instances of drones startling horses that carry people and goods.

Once again careless and reckless sUAS Operation leads to tighter regulations.

On the good side they are making for a few allowances:

"....... but specify that drones could be allowed for certain purposes if they do not intentionally interfere with horses — such as newsgathering, insurance work, utility maintenance and law enforcement. "

You know, the more I see discussions like this, the more it reminds me of when mountain biking became popular. In fact, I believe mountain bikes are still not allowed on trails in national parks and "scaring the horses" was one of the reasons they used to cite. But after some decades of bikers riding trails, people realized the world didn't end, and mountain bikes have stopped being blamed for everything from erosion to trail crowding and spooking animals. Hopefully, we'll see a similar end to the panic with our small aircraft. Fingers crossed.

I would have thought that they would not have been allowed in the first place. There are no motors allowed on the island except for police and emergency vehicles. Everything moves by foot, bicycle, or horse. I played a couple of gigs there and it is a very quiet relaxing place. Drones kind of go against what the island stands for, quiet.

I do agree though that a few idiots are screwing things up for the lot...

I would have thought that they would not have been allowed in the first place. There are no motors allowed on the island except for police and emergency vehicles. Everything moves by foot, bicycle, or horse. I played a couple of gigs there and it is a very quiet relaxing place. Drones kind of go against what the island stands for, quiet.

I do agree though that a few idiots are screwing things up for the lot...

Very well said. I guess they didn't need a "drone restriction" up until recently. You'd think that drone operators would be more considerate and realize it's not the ideal place for them even if they weren't "yet" restricted.

they don't have to ban drones. they could just make it illegal to scare horses.

but they just want to ban drones, just because.

saw a motorcycle speeding going over 150mph yesterday. ban motorcycles because of a few people screwing it up?

I would have thought that they would not have been allowed in the first place. There are no motors allowed on the island except for police and emergency vehicles.
I think no engines. I think motors are allowed, as it appears electric golf carts are allowed. Besides, I think we are talking about motorixzed transportation (unlike Wilderness Area) as I'm guessing there are _tons_ of electric motors on the island, all the way down to fans and blenders.

I think no engines. I think motors are allowed, as it appears electric golf carts are allowed. Besides, I think we are talking about motorixzed transportation (unlike Wilderness Area) as I'm guessing there are _tons_ of electric motors on the island, all the way down to fans and blenders.
Yes you are correct, it was the mid 90's when I was there. I should have said Engines...

There you go again, whining and making irrelevant comparisons.
Not sure how it is irrelevant. Seems spot on. What was the issue the law claimed to solve? Scaring horses? Then simply make scaring horses with a drone illegal. As it is, the law prevents all other flight and 99.9% of that is perfectly safe and fine.

In other words... don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

• Love
Reactions: DoomMeister
Not sure how it is irrelevant. Seems spot on. What was the issue the law claimed to solve? Scaring horses? Then simply make scaring horses with a drone illegal. As it is, the law prevents all other flight and 99.9% of that is perfectly safe and fine.

In other words... don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

How in any way is an instance of a "motorcycle speeding going over 150mph" relevant to this thread? A community that treasures its quiet and relaxed atmosphere decides to ban noisy, buzzing drones. That is 100% justified - end of story. Why should drone flyers have any say in this? There are a million other places they can go to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave A
How in any way is an instance of a "motorcycle speeding going over 150mph" relevant to this thread? A community that treasures its quiet and relaxed atmosphere decides to ban noisy, buzzing drones. That is 100% justified - end of story. Why should drone flyers have any say in this? There are a million other places they can go to.

You're both correct in what you are saying. tcope is talking about their excuse for banning the drones and that was scaring horses. When talking about that specific thing the motorcycle going 150 mph is spot on. It's an example of the few screwing it up for the many.

You though are talking about the real reason why they want to ban drones, not the excuse they stated. If they would have just said in the beginning, we love our quiet life and want to preserve that way of life so we are banning drones due to their noise level then tcope's example doesn't fit. The community should just be honest instead of trying to come up with a bs reason to ban the drones. Like you said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them wanting to preserve their quiet community. They should be proud of it and state the real reason why they want to ban the drones.

You're both correct in what you are saying. tcope is talking about their excuse for banning the drones and that was scaring horses. When talking about that specific thing the motorcycle going 150 mph is spot on. It's an example of the few screwing it up for the many.

You though are talking about the real reason why they want to ban drones, not the excuse they stated. If they would have just said in the beginning, we love our quiet life and want to preserve that way of life so we are banning drones due to their noise level then tcope's example doesn't fit. The community should just be honest instead of trying to come up with a bs reason to ban the drones. Like you said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with them wanting to preserve their quiet community. They should be proud of it and state the real reason why they want to ban the drones.

i can understand quiet time. certain hours of the day/night, quiet zones, decibel levels...fine. but outright ban to keep the [noise] peace? are they banning chain saws and generators and firearms? will they lift the ban when we invent silent props? these are the reasons why they can't go this route but instead have to come up with something that can't be challenged...scaring horses.

i can understand quiet time. certain hours of the day/night, quiet zones, decibel levels...fine. but outright ban to keep the [noise] peace? are they banning chain saws and generators and firearms? will they lift the ban when we invent silent props? these are the reasons why they can't go this route but instead have to come up with something that can't be challenged...scaring horses.

You need to go back and read post #4 but, in any case, it's really none of your business what they have banned or why - you don't live there. It's pretty much anything that's really noisy like "chain saws and generators". And so what if they used "scaring horses" as the reason? They can say whatever they like - there is no point in harping on about it.

Respect that community's laws and stop whining. If you feel so strongly about the situation and want to change it then take them to court, but be ready to lose a lot of money in court costs because you would have zero chance of winning.

it's really none of your business what they have banned or why - you don't live there. It's pretty much anything that's really noisy like "chain saws and generators". And so what if they used "scaring horses" as the reason? They can say whatever they like - there is no point in harping on about it.
Just read all as I hadn't seen it and maybe he don't live there but you really don't even live in this country so it's really none of your business one could argue .Yes he should go back and read post #4 but you go read guideline #2
.2. Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully.
So lets all keep that in mind and carry on ,debate, discuss but no need to be rude.
As normal anyone have an issue with my post message me Do not post it .
Thanks everyone .

It’s all about the money folks. Mackinac Island is an over priced Tourist Attraction and they can’t find a legal way to charge for using your UAV there, so now they want to outlaw their use in direct violation of State Law MCL 259.321, .322, and .323.

It’s all about the money folks. Mackinac Island is an over priced Tourist Attraction and they can’t find a legal way to charge for using your UAV there, so now they want to outlaw their use in direct violation of State Law MCL 259.321, .322, and .323.
You say that they took the time to see if they could find a _legal_ way to charge (which they easily could do legally) but instead decided to break the law?

More likely they did not want drones to be flown and knowingly wrote an illegal law against it. I've mentioned this before, many times lawmakers in smaller areas don't care at all about making illegal laws. They know they are illegal. They then use these illegal laws to harass people into compliance. They can now legally threaten people with fines and jail if they don't comply. They can even write a citation. if the person pleads not guilty, they simply drop the charges so a judge can never rule on the matter and they can continue to harass people.

Organize folks in your state and visit the governor to provide the FAA rules. Note that you can legally be prevented from TO there, but likely not flyover if it is not a preserve.

Wildlife preserves, county, state and national parks, and wilderness area managers (county, State and Federal) can site drone operators and even arrest them for disturbing nesting birds and for disturbing (a legal form of take) other sensitive wildlife- even without FAA jurisdiction- be prepared to see more of these types of convictions.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c