DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bit of Advice?

JacobT

Reactions
Hi there, I have bought the Mavic 2 Zoom and I'm gonna take it out on its first flight in the next couple of days. I have read the drone code and such like but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me before I fly? Thanks, Merry Christmas,
Jacob

Hi Jacob - welcome to the forum ... First thing is that Your Mavic is not a toy ... You'll need to go through a couple of learning curves, first to get the hang of flying it and what all its modes are about - then you'll need to get to grips with the camera system.
For both of these, the first thing to do is put some time aside and give the manual a good going over ... Download the latest from DJI at: Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI
After that, hit YouTube and look for guides for beginners - not just for flying, but also for pre-flight preparation. The Go 4 app' is really quite complex at first look, but it has some very valuable facilities hidden away in obscure places. Get familiar with it ...
When you do start flying, big open spaces is the answer - don't fly indoors! - if you even think about it - DON'T! ... you want an area where you can just get the drone off the ground, and fly squares left and right ... Use the Tripod mode (T on the side switch) to put it in a very slow 'Treacle' mode so you have plenty of time to see what the Mavic is doing. Get used to the 'Pause' button as your get out of jail card ...
Just get out and fly ... Have fun & Merry Christmas.

Hi there, I have bought the Mavic 2 Zoom and I'm gonna take it out on its first flight in the next couple of days. I have read the drone code and such like but I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me before I fly? Thanks, Merry Christmas,
Jacob
Hi, I would read the manual from cover to cover, then read it again. Watch YouTube videos for advice and inspiration. Always remember how much your drone cost you when you fly and start in "Beginner Mode".
Fly safe and have a great Christmas too.

Reactions: JacobT
Hi Jacob - welcome to the forum ... First thing is that Your Mavic is not a toy ... You'll need to go through a couple of learning curves, first to get the hang of flying it and what all its modes are about - then you'll need to get to grips with the camera system.
For both of these, the first thing to do is put some time aside and give the manual a good going over ... Download the latest from DJI at: Mavic 2 - Specifications, FAQs, Videos, Tutorials, Manuals - DJI
After that, hit YouTube and look for guides for beginners - not just for flying, but also for pre-flight preparation. The Go 4 app' is really quite complex at first look, but it has some very valuable facilities hidden away in obscure places. Get familiar with it ...
When you do start flying, big open spaces is the answer - don't fly indoors! - if you even think about it - DON'T! ... you want an area where you can just get the drone off the ground, and fly squares left and right ... Use the Tripod mode (T on the side switch) to put it in a very slow 'Treacle' mode so you have plenty of time to see what the Mavic is doing. Get used to the 'Pause' button as your get out of jail card ...
Thanks very much! I'll be sure to check out all the different modes and features. The 'Treacle' Mode sounds brilliant. Ill be sure to use that for a while. Thanks for your help! Merry Christmas!

Reactions: ff22
Hi, I would read the manual from cover to cover, then read it again. Watch YouTube videos for advice and inspiration. Always remember how much your drone cost you when you fly and start in "Beginner Mode".
Fly safe and have a great Christmas too.
Thank you! I'll be sure to read the manual thoroughly!

Thanks very much! I'll be sure to check out all the different modes and features. The 'Treacle' Mode sounds brilliant. Ill be sure to use that for a while. Thanks for your help! Merry Christmas!

One thing that takes real practice is when you are flying back toward yourself. Controls (left/right turning and straight sideward movements) are kind of backward from when you were flying away. You really do want OPEN space. Enjoy.

That’s exactly what I did when/before I bought my very first drone and I still continue to do those steps whenever I get a new drone. Very sound advice from you and not just for beginners but for even accomplished pilots. Read the manual and watch all the appropriate YouTube videos before you put your new drone up in the air! :)
And Jacob, welcome to this forum. Continue to come back here and you’ll find answers to a lot of your questions as I do on a regular basis. And as the other person said get out there and fly because that’s the only way you’ll get better at this great hobby!

One thing that takes real practice is when you are flying back toward yourself. Controls (left/right turning and straight sideward movements) are kind of backward from when you were flying away. You really do want OPEN space. Enjoy.

A tip I picked up from another post a while back regarding orientation :
try to mentally put yourself in the Mavic as the pilot (as if you're driving your car). Your left/right stick movement will be automatic .

Also, keep your controller in "Mode 2" (the default) as virtually all comments / recommendations that you read will be wrt this mode unless otherwise noted.
Enjoy!

A tip I picked up from another post a while back regarding orientation :
try to mentally put yourself in the Mavic as the pilot (as if you're driving your car). Your left/right stick movement will be automatic .

Also, keep your controller in "Mode 2" (the default) as virtually all comments / recommendations that you read will be wrt this mode unless otherwise noted.
Enjoy!
That’s exactly what I do is attempt to put myself into the cockpit of my drone and that makes flying much easier and realistic.
Question for ya, what does wrt stand for or was it just a typo?

That’s exactly what I do is attempt to put myself into the cockpit of my drone and that makes flying much easier and realistic.
Question for ya, what does wrt stand for or was it just a typo?
wrt = with respect to

That’s exactly what I did when/before I bought my very first drone and I still continue to do those steps whenever I get a new drone. Very sound advice from you and not just for beginners but for even accomplished pilots. Read the manual and watch all the appropriate YouTube videos before you put your new drone up in the air! :)
And Jacob, welcome to this forum. Continue to come back here and you’ll find answers to a lot of your questions as I do on a regular basis. And as the other person said get out there and fly because that’s the only way you’ll get better at this great hobby!
Thanks very much! I was wondering if there was a way to put videos on the forum like you do with photos? Thanks again,
Jacob

I would recommend buying a Tello and a games controller. That way you can fly in the house or the garden and practise figure of 8 and circles and general flying. When you can fly a Tello both from sight and via watching the screen then you will be much more confident with your mavic. Having the practise will help you to make turning the right way when the drone is flying towards you second nature. Flying a good figure of 8 in your living room is very satisfying but is not recommended with a Mavic.

Flying a drone in a straight line at high altitude is not too tricky but what happens if there are trees around or you lose GPS and go into ATTI mode.This can happen and it will mean that your drone will drift. If you move right then it will continue to move right. I know from experience that when this happens and you have trees around then it is much harder to get your drone under control, especially when you are flying towards you.

It is when landing that you are most likely to have a problem and feeling confident as you are making your approach is invaluable. You don't want to be coming in to land and then find that you accidentally veer towards the tree instead of away from it.

Hi all,
First time flyer here too, scrolling through the forum and finding helpful tips like this are much appreciated for us Noobies.
Thanks very much for being so welcoming and helpful, it’s refreshing! [emoji1363]

What I did as a newbie....

1. Tested all instances of RTH. A forum member posted a flow chart of RTH. I dont know where I put my copy to share it.
2. VPS, GPS, ATTI - learned there limitations.
3. Preflight routine

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev