DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bought Fly more w/RC Pro Refurb from BestBuy, what to check

mswlogo

Reactions
I was all set to get this Refurb from DJI but it would not arrive until Mid Jan. And this one on BestBuy popped up slightly cheaper. I have BestBuy Plus, so I have 60 days to return.
I figured I have nothing to lose, and supposedly you can still get DJI Care Refresh.

So I have not been following this drone much and seems every DJI drone has it's QA quirks.

So what should I check?

Obviously I'll check if it's Unbound.
I've seen folks mention check horizon, just take a shot of the horizon and make sure it's level?

DJI Care Refresh
It seems DJI Care Refresh covers water damage, but what if you lose it over water (as lost in the water)? I live on the water.
Does DJI cover Fly Aways? I've seen discussions here where DJI can be pretty tough that if they see you did anything wrong, they won't cover it.

I've bought and returned a couple DJI drones for various reasons and ended up with a Skydio 2+ which I absolutely love, not a single glitch.
But I can't fly it at night and range is a little weak. And as you probably know, Skydio went commercial only :( I would have waited for their next consumer drone.

Things I would check but the should be set to the defaults and therefore 'safe',
1) the FAILSAFE = disconnection response is set to "RTH", the other options are probably "land" and "hover".
2) that the Emergency Motor Stop setting is 'Emergency Only'
3) the video resolution is set to something that your screen/computer can handle (not a safety feature but .........)

Those are checks applicable to any 'new to you' drone, I will leave Mavic 3 Pro specific checks to others.

Reactions: mswlogo
Besides all thing's app setting related... (that you should check thoroughly on any drone new or refurbished anyway).

Check off the camera & gimbal... is the full frame sharp, it's been cases where one corner/side have been noticeable softer. Make sure the gimbal behaves end to end adjustment & that it aligns well with the horizon. Take off in as bright conditions (sunny clear sky) as possible & film with auto settings (to get as fast shutter as possible), then look for "jello" in the clip/live view... if all is good, you shouldn't find any.

Motors... feel them over, they can give slightly different resistance from the magnets... but they should feel smooth not rough. Idle without props & check so the motor shafts aren't bent. Look over the motor bells for dents, the gap to the magnets should be even all around. Hover the drone just above head height... carefully hold each leg & compare the vibrations, all 4 should feel roughly the same.

DJI Care require you to return the drone in most cases... DJI Flyaway insurance is honored without questions.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Refurbished Drone from aDJI , do not have any insurance on them no Care Fresh
on these drones

I was all set to get this Refurb from DJI but it would not arrive until Mid Jan. And this one on BestBuy popped up slightly cheaper. I have BestBuy Plus, so I have 60 days to return.
I figured I have nothing to lose, and supposedly you can still get DJI Care Refresh.

So I have not been following this drone much and seems every DJI drone has it's QA quirks.

So what should I check?

Obviously I'll check if it's Unbound.
I've seen folks mention check horizon, just take a shot of the horizon and make sure it's level?

DJI Care Refresh
It seems DJI Care Refresh covers water damage, but what if you lose it over water (as lost in the water)? I live on the water.
Does DJI cover Fly Aways? I've seen discussions here where DJI can be pretty tough that if they see you did anything wrong, they won't cover it.

I've bought and returned a couple DJI drones for various reasons and ended up with a Skydio 2+ which I absolutely love, not a single glitch.
But I can't fly it at night and range is a little weak. And as you probably know, Skydio went commercial only :( I would have waited for their next consumer drone.
Just a thought ... If you've already returned a "couple" of DJI drones what makes you think you're gonna like a used one?

I sent a message to DJI, had the reply today, they said
there is no Care Refresh on Refurbed aircraft

Hi eBay - wallpaperfishing,
Good Morning,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Please note, our DJI Team have advised the following with regards to DJI Care:

"Refurbished DJI drones are not sold with the intent that DJI care will be supported.
It may be possible but we cannot give any guarantee’s as each refurbished unit is unique.
While the majority are unwanted units that we have tested, some may have been repaired.
It would be unlikely that DJI would offer DJI care to a unit that has already been repaired by a 3rd party.

Good Morning,

"Refurbished DJI drones are not sold with the intent that DJI care will be supported.
It may be possible but we cannot give any guarantee’s as each refurbished unit is unique.
While the majority are unwanted units that we have tested, some may have been repaired.
It would be unlikely that DJI would offer DJI care to a unit that has already been repaired by a 3rd party.
Good for a standard DJI answer and quite accurate since you cannot simply sign up like you would for a normal drone. Use the video verification process here, it's easy but it's not guaranteed: DJI

Years ago I got Care Refresh on a refurb Mavic 2 using this method. The thing is sometimes people don't know they are buying a refurb.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Refurbished Drone from aDJI , do not have any insurance on them no Care Fresh
on these drones
It says right on DJI web site Refurb listings that they their refurbs get full warranty and care refresh is an option.

Now 3rd party refurb is another matter.

Good Morning,

53392603765_7fc77baa08_b_d.jpg

Besides all thing's app setting related... (that you should check thoroughly on any drone new or refurbished anyway).

Check off the camera & gimbal... is the full frame sharp, it's been cases where one corner/side have been noticeable softer. Make sure the gimbal behaves end to end adjustment & that it aligns well with the horizon. Take off in as bright conditions (sunny clear sky) as possible & film with auto settings (to get as fast shutter as possible), then look for "jello" in the clip/live view... if all is good, you shouldn't find any.

Motors... feel them over, they can give slightly different resistance from the magnets... but they should feel smooth not rough. Idle without props & check so the motor shafts aren't bent. Look over the motor bells for dents, the gap to the magnets should be even all around. Hover the drone just above head height... carefully hold each leg & compare the vibrations, all 4 should feel roughly the same.

DJI Care require you to return the drone in most cases... DJI Flyaway insurance is honored without questions.
Thanks for the tips.

So the flyaway insurance is a separate thing?

And flyaway includes water?

Just a thought ... If you've already returned a "couple" of DJI drones what makes you think you're gonna like a used one?
For one I didn’t spend an arm and a leg. Just an arm. 2nd my alternative evaporated. Was considering an EVO too but there is concern they might go commercial too.

I have 2 months to play. If it makes me happy I’ll keep it. If it doesn’t it will go back. Easy peasy. Last DJI was the Mavic 3 with the GPS issues. I wasn’t willing to wait with $4K+ invested. I ended up with the Skydio 2+ and have zero regrets. They are selling close to what I paid for it 2 years ago.

I’ve bought many open box / refurb things over the years and 9/10 they were absolutely perfect. In a couple cases they were sealed brand new. As long as I can return it no questions asked I don’t mind taking a shot at it.

And if I still like it but it has issues. I’ll order a DJI refurb or new one.

Suggest you buy a retrieval float so you can fish it out of the water if it goes for a swim. I used one during my Care Refresh time, never needed. They're small and release a little float w/string when submerged.

Reactions: mswlogo
So what step triggers the Care Refresh clock?

I’d like to thoroughly check it out, apply updates etc ASAP but I might not have a chance to fly it until the weekend.

I realize That clock might already be tripped and not matter. But in case it’s not tripped.

So what step triggers the Care Refresh clock?

I’d like to thoroughly check it out, apply updates etc ASAP but I might not have a chance to fly it until the weekend.

I realize That clock might already be tripped and not matter. But in case it’s not tripped.
When you activate a new drone, the 48 hour clock starts upon successful activation. If you don't activate a new drone, the clock has already expired and you are thrown into the video verification process which likely has no time limit (i.e. you can attempt to gain coverage, as long as it is available, by submitting a video regardless how "old" the drone is).

Just got the unit.

No factory box. But everything looks immaculate and nothing missing. Not a mark on anything.

Looks like it had about 12 10 minute flights spread over 1 month.

I'm uploading the "Black Box Data". I know there is flight data in it, but they seem huge. Not sure I can access once uploaded. Maybe they didn't clear everything they should have.

No Care Refresh Prompt, so Probably have to attempt the Video process.

It never prompted to "Activate" either, does that make sense?

No problem seeing it on my account etc.

Drone looks really nice and RC pro looks really nice too.

Figures it's windy as heck today and has been way below normal wind for the past couple months.

I'll probably try to get care refresh after the first flight. Not a deal breaker if I can't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne