DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CAA and sub 250g drones

I’ve had an email from the CAA and it now seems that my DJI mini 2 needs me to have CAA registration at £10 a year to fly it legally. Ba humbug, not the best Christmas present. Needs to be labelled as per heavier drones
Actually you got a huge christmas present as you can now fly your Mini 2 in residential areas. In fact apart from restricted airspace and Crowds, you can now fly your Mini 2 from your back garden almost any where. Which is pretty cool for £9... Check the video above.

Ian

That goes without saying. Any client would want to see that an operator is insured as part of a contract - that’s standard business practice across all industry.

That said - what the new regs allow is for ad hoc commercial uses. Such as; prior to the new regs the BBC wouldn’t take video shot on drones unless the pilot held a PFCO. Now, there’s no such need. So, we’re you in an area with an ongoing incident such as a flood and you were flying within regs you’d be able to offer it to media. Similarly, video and images taken whilst flying recreationally before the new regs couldn’t be sold. Now, they can. And, you wouldn’t expect recreational flyers to hold third party insurance.

I strongly advise anyone that intends to monetise their efforts to join FPVUK. It’s only £20 a year and one of the many benefits is third party insurance for recreational flying.
Hopefully not a daft question but would you require 3rd party commercial insurance if you were to monetise your footage in any way? The public liability insurance from FPVUK sates that it’s for recreational drone flying so I’m unsure if that would satisfy the insurance obligations if you were ever to profit from footage, regardless of whether the aim of the flight was recreational or commercial.

Hopefully not a daft question but would you require 3rd party commercial insurance if you were to monetise your footage in any way? The public liability insurance from FPVUK sates that it’s for recreational drone flying so I’m unsure if that would satisfy the insurance obligations if you were ever to profit from footage, regardless of whether the aim of the flight was recreational or commercial.
If your original intent was profit then you’d need 3rd party.
If you caught something worthy of selling whilst flying recreationally, then no.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman