DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration... or lack of

YorkshirePaul

Reactions
I've had my Mavic a couple months now with 6+ hrs flight time covering over 200,000 ft distance and not done ANY calibrations. This is my 1st 'proper' drone and all my pre-research led me to believe I'd be doing all sorts of calibrations/dances on a regular basis. I took the decision to only calibrate when the App suggests it's required. I'm obviously not complaining as it's flown faultlessly thus far.

Is this 'normal' and what DJI expect/hope? Have I been just lucky? Either way I'm loving it and cant wait for the wet grey English weather to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I've had my Mavic a couple months now with 6+ hrs flight time covering over 200,000 ft distance and not done ANY calibrations. This is my 1st 'proper' drone and all my pre-research led me to believe I'd be doing all sorts of calibrations/dances on a regular basis. I took the decision to only calibrate when the App suggests it's required. I'm obviously not complaining as it's flown faultlessly thus far.

Is this 'normal' and what DJI expect/hope? Have I been just lucky? Either way I'm loving it and cant wait for the wet grey English weather to improve.

Well you did your initial compass calibration though and imu cal correct?

Did my first flight yesterday. No warning to compass calibrate but I did anyway.
Not done an IMU calibration. Should I get a warning or is this worth doing before next flight ?

IMU calibration only needs to be done if asked, same with compass calibration although most people will have to do that part since the Mavic will have changed locations by a large amount. It is usually best to calibrate the compass if you travel somewhere far from where you normally fly but if it doesn't ask for it then you are probably fine.

Interesting... i think i will calibrate mine rather it asks or not. Thats just me though. Some would say if its not broke dont fix it....

My thinking is that the device may not recognize it needs calibrated for whatever reason but doing so might help prevent any related errors .
What if the drone thinks it is still in china or whatever? Or maybe these are drones that never had a start up test at the factory because they cut corners and you guys are actually just first ones to start them up so they dont need re calibrated like the ones that were pre-tested in china? All speculative of course but surely these inconsistencies are occurring for a reason right?

If you travel a long distance (>100 miles) from the last spot where you did a compass calibration the magnetic declination angle will have changed for the area map you are now in. But it will not be by much, this will show a difference between the actual location of your Mavic and the location shown on the map. As this angle is the difference between 'true' north and 'Magnetic' north, a change in Latitude will show a smaller variation than a change in Longitude, but depending on where you are located this difference will vary.

Reactions: RallySoob
Right, like I said if you travel far do the compass calibration, the IMU calibration should only be necessary if the app asks for it but I guess it probably doesn't hurt to do it, just likely is not necessary for every flight.

Right, like I said if you travel far do the compass calibration, the IMU calibration should only be necessary if the app asks for it but I guess it probably doesn't hurt to do it, just likely is not necessary for every flight.

I've always done an initial imu calibration since I always had to do them with the naza....if they were tossed around hard during shipping I heard that throws off the imu.(so I've heard) So I always do a imu and compass cal out of box and when I travel more than even like 20 miles. But no def not before every flight...

I've always done an initial imu calibration since I always had to do them with the naza....if they were tossed around hard during shipping I heard that throws off the imu.(so I've heard) So I always do a imu and compass cal out of box and when I travel more than even like 20 miles. But no def not before every flight...

Plus don't they say to do cal and imu cal after firmware updates as well??

Had the Mavic for a month and done a total of about 2hrs flight. Never done or needed a calibration. Perfect performance so far including indoor flying.

Plus don't they say to do cal and imu cal after firmware updates as well??
I have done a couple of updates without calibrating afterwards and no issues. I think the hardware is pretty good about knowing when it sees inconsistencies that require a re-calibration but again if you feel safer doing these things I am sure they will not hurt.

I have done a couple of updates without calibrating afterwards and no issues. I think the hardware is pretty good about knowing when it sees inconsistencies that require a re-calibration but again if you feel safer doing these things I am sure they will not hurt.

Where are you located again?

I've been using various dji controllers and components in my equipment for years, and by necessity, have always performed a fair amount of necessary calibration.

The Mavic is different.

I, also have not calibrated a single thing and it has flown flawlessly. The only thing I did was check the joystick positions for zero before my first flight, and they were.

As for the compass, it is my understanding that it has dual compass technology and because of that it is self analyzing and will indicate if a re calibration is recommended.

I don't discourage anyone from doing what they feel comfortable with, but DJI is pretty clear in their material that calibration is only recommended when suggested by the software.

I also understand old habits and traditions are hard to break.

I did a compass calibration in a very clear area for the first flight out of the box. Since then, nothing. 5 hours of very stable flying so far.

I bought mine used form Someone is wisconsin and I live in Michigan and have actually done nothing to it and not sure what he did or did not do to it. It flies great and seems to be great at coming back to home. I want to do the compass calibration but havent found a spot with no wires or anything around yet. My yard is not ideal. But Ive gone as far as 4800 ft from home and no issues.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan