DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calling on Regulation Junkies

theecrewchief

Reactions
Hey guys. Has anyone here filed for an airworthiness certificate to register the mavic as an experimental aircraft under UAS (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) or OPA (Optional Piloted Aircraft)? I haven't dug into the FAR AIMs that much other than to see it is possible ( Special Airworthiness Certification – Certification for Civil Operated Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and Optionally Piloted Aircraft (OPA) ). I already hold a pilots certificate and trying to look into how I can LEGALLY get above the 400 foot mark. I am not sure if I can operate under some part 91 part 107 hybrid if I can utilize my pilots certificate and operate it as a legit registered aircraft (N number and all, not a generic drone registration)

Hello. The short answer is you can legally fly over the 400' mark as a hobby flier. If you are flying for work with a Part 107 you can get a waiver
Research the current guidelines and you will see what I am talking about.

SOURCE: Getting Started

Huh. So much dabate and hesitation over whether hobby fliers can go above 400 feet, and if so, when, and it's right there in plain sight? Some nervous part of me wonders if they just forgot to mention it for hobbyists or something.

That's a pretty comforting reminder. So far I've never had a reason to go above maybe 390 feet, which is plenty high up, but it's good to know that I can go higher if I want to. (Though the local airport may want a heads-up, if I go higher than usual during business hours.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998