DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera has terrible wavy lines throughout

SackboyDad

Reactions
So I took my brand new mavic pro out for its first flight today after waiting for 2.5 months....

The video coming from the camera looked like an old analog TV set at times, where the tuner couldn't quite lock on to the signal.... lots of wavy lines.

I was wrong... it's what the CAMERA RECORDED!!!

Is anyone else having this issue?

Last edited:
Vibration, check your gimbal hasn't been knocked out of the clip, there are several posts about that.

Yeah have you crashed or dropped it? Looks like the gimbal is knocked out of place

Take some close up shots, especially of the back and post them
Best I can get with an iPhone camera. I **did** look at DJI's pre-flight video that shows issues with the gimbal, but it shows to make sure the tabs are under the cover, which mine are. Only thing I see that's strange on mine is it looks like there's some kind of peel-away film with a tab that's still attached to the top of the gimbal -- like it was not removed at the factory.

And, no the gimbal clam was not on - ever. Although I just remembered that while I was flying I got a gimbal overload warning for a short amount of time (several minutes after being in the air) - I checked my pocket and verified the clamp had been taken off.

upload_2016-12-3_19-53-27.png

We all had the peel away film and removed it ourselves.

I'd try a gimbal calibration. Also be very careful not to touch / move the mavic when it's doing its power up initialization.

Well, rats! I did a complete IMU and gimbal calibration to no avail. Still jello. I am also getting periodic Gimbal Overload warnings - usually before or after the jello effect, but not always.

Again, I have the gimbal clamp (and the bulbous cover) in my pocket when this is happening so I know it's not on the unit.

I guess I just have a dud. Now comes the question.... is DJI going to make me pay hundreds of dollars to send this thing back to china and I have to wait another 2 months to get a replacement ?

I submitted a ticket to DJI. Let's see what they say.

I guess the good news is if DJI screws around, I can just reverse the charge on AMEX as a defective product or maybe take advantage of Newegg's claim process when the product doesn't work.

Who knows, maybe DJI will come through

Good luck. DJI should take care of replacing it.

But why would you think that it would cost "hundreds of dollars" to ship it back?

Yup...
There have been many people doing returns and it was always a pretty easy, painless and actually fast process.

Bought a small Chinese knock-off steadicam a couple of years ago direct from the company in China. When it shiw d up defective they told me it was my cost to send it back.... was almost $90

My original idea was to buy from B&H so if this kind of thing happened I was dealing directly with a company here in the US and couldn't get it swapped very quickly (like overnight) if it show d up defective. But, alas, B&H can't get any mavic day all so that idea was an in-starter.

Never dealt with DJI. It I've just heard horror stories and long times for customer service. Maybe they're wrong

Does this jello effect happens on all your flights? I have the exact same problem on my Mavic in one of my flight, but later on it turns out it is due to strong winds during flight. Out of my 10+ flights I only encountered such jello effect on 1 flight.

Not really strong winds at all <10 mph. It comes and goes during flight. I will also periodically get a gimbal overload warning and to make sure the clamp is off warning )clamp is in my pocket)

I think I just plain have a defective unit. Contacted dji through Newegg. They replied to send it back with the attached label. Of course they didn't attach the label now I have to wait for China to wake up so they can send me a label :/(

I've had the same problem, it'd be good to see what DJI say about this.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Aryeh
What was the temperature? Mine started doing the same thing after the temp dropped below freezing, but it was fine a couple days ago when the temp was in the 30s and 40s

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

What was the temperature? Mine started doing the same thing after the temp dropped below freezing, but it was fine a couple days ago when the temp was in the 30s and 40s

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I got wavy recording under windchill -6C. Normal flight under hot sun or with zero wind in winter.

Hmm, this guy believes it may be due to cold temperatures. Check out what he tried doing to alleviate the issue. I'd be curious to know it that stops the jello effect for you as well.

Does this jello effect happens on all your flights? I have the exact same problem on my Mavic in one of my flight, but later on it turns out it is due to strong winds during flight. Out of my 10+ flights I only encountered such jello effect on 1 flight.
Its my first day having a mavic or a drone at all and there's been 15-20mph winds all day. I hope that's what's causing that irritating jello effect.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan