DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera reset during flight

webjeff04

Reactions
I’m pretty sure that a really strong gust hit the AC. The camera pitched down then I lost gimbal control. Lost feed for a few seconds then when it came back it seemed like it did the calibration not sure though. Has this happened to you guys?

I've had the gimbal reset during flight twice in about 90 flights. Fortunately I had read about it on here before it happened, so didn't freak me out. All the other metrics were good at the time, so knew it was a reset.

Mine seemed different. My reset was all over the place, doing what I envision was the motion when the Mavic initializes. I'd call yours hiccups, rather than seizures in terms of magnitude comparison. Still annoying, I understand.

Reactions: webjeff04
Mine seemed different. My reset was all over the place, doing what I envision was the motion when the Mavic initializes. I'd call yours hiccups, rather than seizures in terms of magnitude comparison. Still annoying, I understand.
Right, it didn't seem like a total reset but more of a freeze. I noticed that the ISO and color temp values had switched when it came back under control. At least I know what to expect, thought she was going down at first!

I’m pretty sure that a really strong gust hit the AC. The camera pitched down then I lost gimbal control. Lost feed for a few seconds then when it came back it seemed like it did the calibration not sure though. Has this happened to you guys?
yes, 2 weeks out of the box, mine started doing the same thing. Mine only happened every 3rd or 4th flight while recording in 4k and at the 9 minute mark of the recording. from what I understand the 9 minute mark is when the micro sd card starts another video file. the bird would stop recording, gimbal would pitch up and to the side, lose focus, then settle down in about 20 seconds. the first time it happened I thought it was a bird strike and it was falling out of the sky. I searched all over this forums and on facebook and discovered many many mavic owners suffer the same gimbal seizures and its been happening for over a year. So DJI has been knowing about this problem for over a year and has chose not to fix it. Some mavic owners has sent there mavics in to DJI only to get back a bird with worse issues. I contacted DJI and was told to calibrate this and calibrate that then update this and update that. And if none of this works, just sent it in to DJI for repair. After reading the many horror stories about DJI service, i'm choosing not to send my bird back at this time. Now I will say that I may have found a solution thanks to another fellow mavic owner. He said the problem was that the 64 gig card I was using was formatted in 64 bit and if I could re-format it to 32 bit the gimbal issues would stop. I couldn't figure out how to re-format it. He also said to use the 16 gig card that came with the bird or buy 32 gig card. So I put the 16 gig card back in the mavic and now have flown it 10 times without the gimbal seizure issue. I will fly it a few more times then switch to the 32 gig card and see if I get the same results.

Reactions: webjeff04
yes, 2 weeks out of the box, mine started doing the same thing. Mine only happened every 3rd or 4th flight while recording in 4k and at the 9 minute mark of the recording. from what I understand the 9 minute mark is when the micro sd card starts another video file. the bird would stop recording, gimbal would pitch up and to the side, lose focus, then settle down in about 20 seconds. the first time it happened I thought it was a bird strike and it was falling out of the sky. I searched all over this forums and on facebook and discovered many many mavic owners suffer the same gimbal seizures and its been happening for over a year. So DJI has been knowing about this problem for over a year and has chose not to fix it. Some mavic owners has sent there mavics in to DJI only to get back a bird with worse issues. I contacted DJI and was told to calibrate this and calibrate that then update this and update that. And if none of this works, just sent it in to DJI for repair. After reading the many horror stories about DJI service, i'm choosing not to send my bird back at this time. Now I will say that I may have found a solution thanks to another fellow mavic owner. He said the problem was that the 64 gig card I was using was formatted in 64 bit and if I could re-format it to 32 bit the gimbal issues would stop. I couldn't figure out how to re-format it. He also said to use the 16 gig card that came with the bird or buy 32 gig card. So I put the 16 gig card back in the mavic and now have flown it 10 times without the gimbal seizure issue. I will fly it a few more times then switch to the 32 gig card and see if I get the same results.

Great information, thanks for sharing your experience with this. I'm using a 64gb card also and this happened at the 9min mark. Also looking at the video files I go from video number 53 to 55, so it appears when 54 started it failed. I will try to reformat it and see if that helps. Thanks again.

So I formatted and tested it just sitting on the table. Same exact thing at the same time 9:06. I'm hoping a 32gb formatted to fat32 will clear this up. Will report back.

Its good now using the 32gb sandisk extreme plus. Its caused by the 64gb sd using exfat i think.

Wouldnt just formatting in the mavic using the dji app be the correct way to do it? I thought the camera reset was a firmware issue? I havent had it happen in quite a few months and use a sd extreme pro 64gb.

Wouldnt just formatting in the mavic using the dji app be the correct way to do it? I thought the camera reset was a firmware issue? I havent had it happen in quite a few months and use a sd extreme pro 64gb.
Yes it could have been something that was fixed in a firmware update. I prefer to stay on older firmware, at least for now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fullmetalrush