DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly my Mavic2 Pro in NYC?

Downunder90

Reactions
Hello everyone,

In December, I will be going to NY for a few days, and I would like to bring back some aerial shots. I have read the official documentation, and the only thing that is not clear to me is the colors (and respective areas) of Manhattan. Following the official guidelines, I have completed the training and obtained the FAA certificate, and I have registered my drone ($5 fee) since it is a Mavic Pro 2 weighing more than 249g.

That said, I have tried to "simulate" flight requests on the LAANC app (from what I understand, it is necessary to do this whenever you want to fly), but I always get rejected. Below, I have included screenshots from the B4YFLY app where various "areas" in Manhattan are listed that I don't understand. For example, according to them, the Brooklyn area is Free to go, and could I fly there without authorization?

Thanks to everyone for the clarification.

ibb.co/BTt5kvv

Reactions: Cafguy
In December, I will be going to NY for a few days, and I would like to bring back some aerial shots.
If New York City is your only destination you may as well leave your drone at home. Search this forum for other discussions about flying a drone in NYC.

Thank you. If I got it right then, this NYC rule overrides FAA and other info I can find on BFUFLY. Is it right?

Yes, I am coming for three days business trip and wanted to to have some sunset/sunrise skyline shots

Thank you. If I got it right then, this NYC rule overrides FAA and other info I can find on BFUFLY. Is it right?

Yes, I am coming for three days business trip and wanted to to have some sunset/sunrise skyline shots
Just to clarify (and I'm not an expert), my understanding is that FAA rules cover where you can fly. Local laws can't override that. The NYC laws cover where you can launch from. So I believe you could stand just outside the city limits and fly a drone (within LOS) over the city following only the FAA rules. But as soon as you step foot in NYC their rules about where you can launch from apply.

Reactions: CadrePilot
Hello everyone,

In December, I will be going to NY for a few days, and I would like to bring back some aerial shots. I have read the official documentation, and the only thing that is not clear to me is the colors (and respective areas) of Manhattan. Following the official guidelines, I have completed the training and obtained the FAA certificate, and I have registered my drone ($5 fee) since it is a Mavic Pro 2 weighing more than 249g.

That said, I have tried to "simulate" flight requests on the LAANC app (from what I understand, it is necessary to do this whenever you want to fly), but I always get rejected. Below, I have included screenshots from the B4YFLY app where various "areas" in Manhattan are listed that I don't understand. For example, according to them, the Brooklyn area is Free to go, and could I fly there without authorization?

ibb.co/BTt5kvv
In other words the answer is “ No” leave your drone at home. Don't be that guy.
Or fly anywhere else but NYC.
Or! Used your Osmo with your phone or a Poquet 2 or3 to video the city at ground level.

Hello everyone,

ibb.co/BTt5kvv
Perhaps you can post a screenshot of your rejections. Did you get rejected or does it really say LAANC is not required (in uncontrolled airspace)? Also could be the time of night you are requesting since you cannot get an authoritzation past a certain evening hour, please check your time zones.

In other words the answer is “ No” leave your drone at home. Don't be that guy.
Or fly anywhere else but NYC.
Or! Used your Osmo with your phone or a Poquet 2 or3 to video the city at ground level.
You can fly in NYC, you just have to get your permits and pay your fees in advance unlike in DC where it's nearly impossible. We have a prominent member in the forum who flies in NYC all the time, perhaps he can share his secrets.

Reactions: Downunder90
Hello everyone,

ibb.co/BTt5kvv
LAANC authorization is not required in that location. If you apply, you'll see a notice to that effect.

Perhaps you can post a screenshot of your rejections. Did you get rejected or does it really say LAANC is not required (in uncontrolled airspace)? Also could be the time of night you are requesting since you cannot get an authoritzation past a certain evening hour, please check your time zones
You are right. It was because of the Timezone. Now I get "eligible for auto approval". But I guess this refers to the possibility to fly, not to launch from..

from downtown here. most of downtown is unrestricted but take off and landing is prohibited due to city regulations. in theory you could fly in from out of Manhattan but that's not allowed because the river around manhattan is restricted airspace (faa b4ufly etc.). enjoy your trip.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne