DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone help? Re-register my MA2 as having RID so I can fly in the US.

twickers14

Reactions
Hi everyone. Live in the U.K. but love to fly my drone when in Florida, which we visit every year, I wanted to share my experience of trying to get my drone Re-Registered with the FAA to reflect that it has Remote ID (courtesy of firmware update 01.01.1600-which my MA2 has) which is effective 16 March 2024. This has proved impossible despite help from DJI Chat team in the US and the clear position of the FAA. I am wondering if anyone with a MA2 living outside the US has managed to get their craft Registered as having RID. After a mass of Chat with the wonderful team at DJI they confirmed I am ready to go (even though I am in the U.K.) and advised that I simply apply to the FAA, as a Recreational flyer (Trust but NOT 107), using my existing Serial Number but with 1581F as a prefix and a 0 as a suffix. I have attempted this through the FAA Drone Zone but as I enter said “new” Serial Number, at the first digit “1”, I get an instant “Serial Number not recognised” and I can proceed no further. I have taken this up with our friends at the FAA through The Drone Zone and I have been advised that, and I quote……

“I will remind you that DJI is a foreign-based manufacturer with NO regulatory authority over the US National Airspace System. For a drone to be compliant with 14 CFR Part 89 (the remote ID rule) it must have an FAA-accepted declaration of compliance. DJI not only knows this, they know their drones are non-compliant until they rectify their problem.”

Having discussed this with DJI Chat in the US I am advised that I should apply once I am in the US, firstly having checked RID is properly installed on my drone and when GPS says I’m in the US

Can do this of course but it’s a bit of a risk and I would be so disappointed if I was not able to fly.

As said above, anyone else had this experience or even better, how to solve it? Many thanks in advance.

Reactions: Cafguy
If you live in Europe Why on earth would you want to volunteer to the complete frustrations that we in America call Government Service?!?
You are a guest in our country as long as you have done you homework and are doing your best to comply- Come and Fly to your hearts content! Now if you are going to Florida to fly your drone in FRONT of a bunch of FAA officials maybe get some other advice- BUT as I see it Welcome to America Fly safe and have fun!!

Reactions: mavic3usa
If you live in Europe Why on earth would you want to volunteer to the complete frustrations that we in America call Government Service?!?
You are a guest in our country as long as you have done you homework and are doing your best to comply- Come and Fly to your hearts content! Now if you are going to Florida to fly your drone in FRONT of a bunch of FAA officials maybe get some other advice- BUT as I see it Welcome to America Fly safe and have fun!!
I will and thank you for your welcome. I will try to comply with your Laws-I don’t want to bump into a fixed wing aircraft or chopper. Would be my fault.

There is currently an issue with the Air 2 (& several other legacy DJI drones) and the RID Declaration of Compliance. Also, DJI customer service isn't always up on this particular issue.

For now, it's not working. And as mentioned, not something to worry about until after March 16 once the "deferred enforcement" expires. If you're coming after March, things should be fixed by then.

More information here: DJI RID DOC issues… - Drone Service Providers Alliance, but you tried the workaround, so I'm not sure it will be helpful.

Also, please check your Conversation folder.

Is your aircraft NOT registered in the UK? If it IS registered in the UK then you dont have to register it in the US.

NEW: Remote ID Notice of Identification (NOI) Requirement (14 CFR 89.130)​

• Starting September 16, 2023, if your drone weighs more than 0.55 lbs., it must have Remote ID to operate in the United States. If your drone has Remote ID and is registered in a country outside the United States, then you must submit a Notice of Identification (NOI) to the FAA by visiting the FAADroneZone.
  • If your drone is not registered in a country outside the United States, visit the FAADroneZone and follow the FAA’s registration process.
    • By following the registration process, you will receive a certificate to show recognition of UAS ownership.

Reactions: Cafguy
I will and thank you for your welcome. I will try to comply with your Laws-I don’t want to bump into a fixed wing aircraft or chopper. Would be my fault.
Download the B4UFLY app and you will be golden as far as knowing where to fly.
Forgot to add- Make sure to go online and get a trust card. Most police here are trained to ask for it if they see a drone. That way you will be covered.

Last edited:
There is currently an issue with the Air 2 (& several other legacy DJI drones) and the RID Declaration of Compliance. Also, DJI customer service isn't always up on this particular issue.

For now, it's not working. And as mentioned, not something to worry about until after March 16 once the "deferred enforcement" expires. If you're coming after March, things should be fixed by then.

More information here: DJI RID DOC issues… - Drone Service Providers Alliance, but you tried the workaround, so I'm not sure it will be helpful.

Also, please check your Conversation folder.
Thanks Vic.

Download the B4UFLY app and you will be golden as far as knowing where to fly.
Forgot to add- Make sure to go online and get a trust card. Most police here are trained to ask for it if they see a drone. That way you will be covered.
Will do. Have B4UFLY and have a current Trust card. Vic above has been very helpful and reassuring too so thanks all.

Reactions: lensimages

Well, that’s “interesting” advice.

Well, that’s “interesting” advice.
yes, it's a million percent cringe.

Sure, tell him to just fly any where he wants. What could go wrong there? Tourist in Tourist areas? Has to be safe to fly there. Don't stop there though with the sage advice.

Don't wear your seatbelt, yell "FTP!!" at every patrol car you see, and remember SPEED LIMIT are just lower suggestions, and you can safely do double the posted. Especially in school zones. Never yield to red and blue lights, it's just "the man" trying to deny you your freedoms. Seriously... Am I right?

I mean, if you're gonna troll, don't half do it. Go full tilt.

• Angry
Reactions: Cafguy and MS Coast
I think I gave the op safe and legal advice please explain why you think this was not the case. If my advice is somehow Dangerous than someone certainly needs to correct this, So that others may not make the same mistake. After all I am NO expert and I can make mistakes like anyone BUT listen someone who visits the U.S. with a drone is NOT a threat to the security of our country. and if this person does all he can to comply and follows the advice they can fly safely and LEGALLY in the U.S. This was advice given to someone already seeking to be safe and legal. One more tip The OP does not even have to register the drone in this country if it is registered in theirs.
ALSO I do not TROLL members and I would ask you to show why you think I am doing so to a member who simply wanted honest advice
Thank you. simply defending my post and I hope we may continue to debate subjects on this forum without accusation and harassment. We are all here to learn and I am more than willing to change my position on a subject as long as you correct me in the spirit of this forum. also MY apologies if this reply sounds terse it is not meant to be.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1