DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A couple of simple (I should know) questions.

twickers14

Reactions
Hi all. I want to be sure I am fully OK to fly in the US in April this year. Done it OK over the last 4 years having registered my MA2 with the FAA and passed the Trust. Am I right in believing that RID applies only to drones on or over the magic 250gms (which of course my drone does and I’m working on that with the FAA and DJI) and Trust doesn’t run out ie it doesn't need to be retaken once passed?

The sub 250gr rule is kind of different. Here's a short version of how it's applied:

If your drone is NOT required to have FAA Registration then it isn't required to have RID. So, since a drone under 250gr, that is flown strictly for hobby/recreation, is NOT required to be registered with the FAA, that same UAS is not required to have RID.

TRUST does NOT expire (yet) and you must have PROOF of completing it on your person (could be paper or could be electronic). You just have to be able to provide it upon request by any LEO whether local, state, of Fed.

The sub 250gr rule is kind of different. Here's a short version of how it's applied:

If your drone is NOT required to have FAA Registration then it isn't required to have RID. So, since a drone under 250gr, that is flown strictly for hobby/recreation, is NOT required to be registered with the FAA, that same UAS is not required to have RID.

TRUST does NOT expire (yet) and you must have PROOF of completing it on your person (could be paper or could be electronic). You just have to be able to provide it upon request by any LEO whether local, state, of Fed.
That is so helpful thank you. It is also helping me to make a decision on what DJI product I might go for when I decide to replace my MA2. Have to say the Mini 4 Pro is looking very promising and in the context of the continuing issue re RID Registration between FAA and DJI over my MA2 registration process I am leaning towards a sub 250gr drone.

That is so helpful thank you. It is also helping me to make a decision on what DJI product I might go for when I decide to replace my MA2. Have to say the Mini 4 Pro is looking very promising and in the context of the continuing issue re RID Registration between FAA and DJI over my MA2 registration process I am leaning towards a sub 250gr drone.
I agree, this detailed answer was super helpful. I have my TRUST with my lite hobby drone the DJImini3pro they squeek under 2.49g. Thanks for the extra context!

Reactions: twickers14
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian