DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still no RID-compliant serial numbers for DJI Mavic Air 2 drones

CaseyGuy

Reactions
I've come across conflicting information on whether we can edit our FAA registrations of our MA2 drones to show they are RID-compliant. DJI has issued a firmware update that enables RID in those drones. And apparently drones with that firmware update will broadcast RID information. But we still can't edit our FAA registrations to show that our MA2 drones are RID-compliant. With the March 16 enforcement date soon upon us, I sought authoritative help.

Q. I put this question about MA2 registration to the FAA's UAS Support Center: "Do I understand correctly that any serial number within the range 1581F3N3000000000000 to 1581F3N3ZZZZZZZZZZZZ is RID-compliant, as long as the UAS has the firmware update that enables RID in this model?"

A. Their response on 22 Feb 2024: "No. While DJI may have pushed a firmware update to their customers, they are also required to submit to the FAA a remote ID declaration of compliance (DOC) specifying the remote ID serial number for each of the qualifying aircraft. When DJI submitted their DOC for the Mavic Air 2 (and nearly a dozen other models), their DOC contained only two serial numbers. The overwhelming odds are that your drone is not one of those two. Once DJI rectifies this issue, you will be able to edit your registration."

Reactions: Cafguy
A. Their response on 22 Feb 2024: "No. While DJI may have pushed a firmware update to their customers, they are also required to submit to the FAA a remote ID declaration of compliance (DOC) specifying the remote ID serial number for each of the qualifying aircraft. When DJI submitted their DOC for the Mavic Air 2 (and nearly a dozen other models), their DOC contained only two serial numbers. The overwhelming odds are that your drone is not one of those two. Once DJI rectifies this issue, you will be able to edit your registration." ***
** and as soon as we stop trying to scare their customers with terms like "Spy vehicle" and "National security risk" They may just see fit to rectify the situation sooner.! :oops:

My opinion: Serial number range is a flawed concept and should have never been considered the norm for implementing an RID solution. It just never materialize that way even if it was intended. Because all drones going forward must be manufactured with standard RID, it would be much easier for the FAA to have a checkbox that says ALL serial numbers rather than having the OEM misinterpret the situation which has obvious happened likely due to a language barrier or sloppy work on the form or DJI just being careless. It is rarely the case when a range of serial numbers apply to a drone with standard ID and a certain range do not. It's also very unlikely that a broadcast model has serial numbers with different compliance. Even so, the DJI Mini 4 has serial numbers where the same serial number both applies and doesn't apply....depends on the battery. So the process is flawed and it doesn't look like DJI is going to fix it and the FAA isn't going to fix it for them either. If I were DJI, I wouldn't submit another DoC just to fix an error.

Since the FAA database has no operation effect meaning you don't need a proper entry in order to transmit, I wouldn't bother with it either if I were DJI. You DO need a proper entry to be legally registered so the net result will be an FAA database full of issues. And it sounds like the FAA is frustrated. Having to type-in a series of numbers and letters after struggling to locate the correct numbers on your drone etc is so 1980s and honestly, it's a bit unprofessional on the part of the FAA that you can't easily add or edit an entry.

More my opinion: Therefore the only useful purpose of the database will occur when the FAA uses that database to "reach out" to all the honest, law-abiding registrants on "the list" with regards to the ownership of their [DJI] drones. ;)

So glad this has come up and sorry to hear that you guys over the pond are having as much of a battle as I am. I’m just a law abiding amateur drone flyer MA2 and I have gone through the wringer with the FAA (who are generally very helpful) like CaseyGuy. My response from the FAA was not as “friendly” as his but I understand where they were coming from. Some of you will know Vic Moss on this site and his input has been very helpful for me certainly. He thinks the issue might/should be sorted by the time RID is introduced, 16 March I think, and his advice to me, as I have to re-register my MA2 if I wish to fly where we are going (SW Florida), is to wait until post that date and try again. If that is still no good then try when we get to our holiday location. All a bit ifffy as I have to cart my kit out with me (kilos cost £s on transatlantic flights and Jet Blue!) only perhaps to find I can’t fly-hey ho. I am also a little unhappy with DJI as lengthy Chats with them has produced nothing but “add this prefix and suffix to you existing Serial Number and you should be good to go”. 🤞-huge amount of these emojis as we hopefully get somewhere. Only alternative is to buy an Air 3 before we go to ensure an easy re-registration. Perhaps that’s DJI’s marketing plan!

Both versions of the Mavic Air 2 had updated RID DOCs published yesterday. I reached out to the DJI employ who deals with the US regulatory paperwork, as well as the FAA on confirmation.

I did get confirmation from DJI, "Regarding the RID DOC S/N issue, we received confirmation today from FAA that most of our aircraft are already fixed with the corresponding amendments that we submitted. We are working on the remaining ones (Mini, Agras)."

I did not get confirmation from the FAA, but it sounds like the MA2, along with 20 other legacy DJI drones, are now completely RID compliant.

Check yours here. If the tracking number ends in "-1", that means it is a modified RID DOC. UAS Declaration of Compliance

Screenshot 2024-02-23 at 7.40.18 AM.png

Reactions: geo4570
I just heard from the FAA, the 21 DJI legacy drones with updated RID DOCs (with the 2/22 date) listed on the FAA's RID DOC page are now RID compliant.

Last edited:
Both versions of the Mavic Air 2 had updated RID DOCs published yesterday. I reached out to the DJI employ who deals with the US regulatory paperwork, as well as the FAA on confirmation.

I did get confirmation from DJI, "Regarding the RID DOC S/N issue, we received confirmation today from FAA that most of our aircraft are already fixed with the corresponding amendments that we submitted. We are working on the remaining ones (Mini, Agras)."

I did not get confirmation from the FAA, but it sounds like the MA2, along with 20 other legacy DJI drones, are now completely RID compliant.

Check yours here. If the tracking number ends in "-1", that means it is a modified RID DOC. UAS Declaration of Compliance

View attachment 172874
Forgive me Vic, I am not familiar with all the RIDs and DOCs, I have gone through your link and entered my MA2 Serial Number both with the 1581F prefix and 0 suffix and without those additions and the FAA site still says not documented. Am I missing something? We are clearly getting somewhere so clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Forgive me Vic, I am not familiar with all the RIDs and DOCs, I have gone through your link and entered my MA2 Serial Number both with the 1581F prefix and 0 suffix and without those additions and the FAA site still says not documented. Am I missing something? We are clearly getting somewhere so clarification would be greatly appreciated.
It's confusing, no forgiveness necessary.

Try putting 1581F1WN in front of your regular serial number and see if that works. We're getting different versions of how it's supposed to be entered.

You might glean some more knowledge here. I haven't watched that video, but Jason may have the answer too.

My opinion: Serial number range is a flawed concept and should have never been considered the norm for implementing an RID solution. It just never materialize that way even if it was intended. Because all drones going forward must be manufactured with standard RID, it would be much easier for the FAA to have a checkbox that says ALL serial numbers rather than having the OEM misinterpret the situation which has obvious happened likely due to a language barrier or sloppy work on the form or DJI just being careless. It is rarely the case when a range of serial numbers apply to a drone with standard ID and a certain range do not. It's also very unlikely that a broadcast model has serial numbers with different compliance. Even so, the DJI Mini 4 has serial numbers where the same serial number both applies and doesn't apply....depends on the battery. So the process is flawed and it doesn't look like DJI is going to fix it and the FAA isn't going to fix it for them either. If I were DJI, I wouldn't submit another DoC just to fix an error.

Since the FAA database has no operation effect meaning you don't need a proper entry in order to transmit, I wouldn't bother with it either if I were DJI. You DO need a proper entry to be legally registered so the net result will be an FAA database full of issues. And it sounds like the FAA is frustrated. Having to type-in a series of numbers and letters after struggling to locate the correct numbers on your drone etc is so 1980s and honestly, it's a bit unprofessional on the part of the FAA that you can't easily add or edit an entry.

More my opinion: Therefore the only useful purpose of the database will occur when the FAA uses that database to "reach out" to all the honest, law-abiding registrants on "the list" with regards to the ownership of their [DJI] drones. ;)
I have successfully entered my RID info on the FAA website for my Air 2. Note, I was not able to edit my previous entry for my Air 2 as no option was ther for RID so I canceled that entry and created a new one which allowed me to enter RID for my Air 2.

It's confusing, no forgiveness necessary.

Try putting 1581F1WN in front of your regular serial number and see if that works. We're getting different versions of how it's supposed to be entered.

You might glean some more knowledge here. I haven't watched that video, but Jason may have the answer too.

Thanks Vic. Sitting in the Royal Albert Hall here in London. About to watch Cirque de Soliel! Can’t wait to try your pointer.

I was able to register my Air 2 about 1 or 2 months ago. The RID number is your serial number with a small sequence before it. As mentioned earlier, 1581F1WN is one of a possible few prefixes. The RID SN will be in your DJI Fly app bound to your Air 2.

I was able to register my Air 2 about 1 or 2 months ago. The RID number is your serial number with a small sequence before it. As mentioned earlier, 1581F1WN is one of a possible few prefixes. The RID SN will be in your DJI Fly app bound to your Air 2.
Will try this but last time I tried to enter the 158 code I got a “Not recognised” from the FAA Application form as I put in the 1 and that was it-still no Registration. Perhaps it’s because I’m not in the US at the moment.

Thanks Vic. Sitting in the Royal Albert Hall here in London. About to watch Cirque de Soliel! Can’t wait to try your pointer.
I entered my 20 digit RID code exactly as displayed in my DJI Fly app and it worked with no issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225_080022_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225_080022_Chrome.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 15
Last week I updated my Air 2 to the current RID firmware. In the FAA Drone Zone site I entered the 20 digit code exactly as displayed in the DJI Fly app and it worked. NOTE: I had to cancel my previous registration for my drone and create a new one as editing a previous entry does not allow you to enter RID code. Kinda dumb of the FAA to design their page that way if you ask me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240225_080022_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240225_080022_Chrome.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: twickers14
Will try this but last time I tried to enter the 158 code I got a “Not recognised” from the FAA Application form as I put in the 1 and that was it-still no Registration. Perhaps it’s because I’m not in the US at the moment.
Another thought...

Once you update to the latest firmware, go into the "about" section on your app and use that Flight Controller Serial Number to register. That should also work.

I have had issues when just adding the 158Fand 0 to SN. Worked better if entire SN is retyped

I did not have to delete and create a new. I just changed the Remote ID to "Yes". Now, it did take me 3-4 attempts to get the number right. I ended up taking a screenshot on my iPhone DJI Day app, expanding it, and then use that to enter it on my laptop. IDK, maybe I'll make a YouTube video showing how I did it since it seems a few people are having issues.

dumb question time. Recreational flyer. I'm trying to add RID serial for Air 2, but FAA dronezone doesn't give me the option to edit my drone. Do I need to cancel out my drone and add it as a new drone?

dumb question time. Recreational flyer. I'm trying to add RID serial for Air 2, but FAA dronezone doesn't give me the option to edit my drone. Do I need to cancel out my drone and add it as a new drone?
According to the FAA, if you've already registered a drone for Recreational Use, and originally answered "No," then you have to register it as a new drone when adding RID. The following is the citation, and the link to the FAA source webpage:

• If you previously listed a drone and answered “No” to the Remote ID question, you will now create a new listing for that same drone.

I verified this to be true. When I look at my Recreational Dashboard, none of them allow editing. When I look at my Part 107 dashboard, they all allow editing.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne