DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can somebody answer this part 107 test question for me?

black_magic100

Reactions
Timestamp is 1:11:38

I actually saw this question the other day BEFORE seeing this video and even after this gentlemen explained how to answer it I am still baffled. I remember yesterday when I was trying to figure it out I was confused as to how you could answer such a question without knowing the wind direction and of course this youtuber brought up the same question, but was still able to answer it. Couldn't the wind be blowing from south east to north west, which would mean the aircraft could also be on the west side of the airport and enter the runway at a 45 degree angle?

edit: also 1 hr 28 min has the same question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy
Timestamp is 1:11:38

I actually saw this question the other day BEFORE seeing this video and even after this gentlemen explained how to answer it I am still baffled. I remember yesterday when I was trying to figure it out I was confused as to how you could answer such a question without knowing the wind direction and of course this youtuber brought up the same question, but was still able to answer it. Couldn't the wind be blowing from south east to north west, which would mean the aircraft could also be on the west side of the airport and enter the runway at a 45 degree angle?

edit: also 1 hr 28 min has the same question.

The precise wind direction doesn't matter, because the question tells you which runway is in use and which traffic pattern (left or right) is in use. If the aircraft is landing on runway 13 (i.e. on 130° - to the SE) then the downwind leg is to the NW. Left downwind means the approach is using left traffic and all turns are to the left, which means that the left downwind leg is on a bearing of 310° and to the right (east) of the airport. That's why the "left" matters - which the guy in the video did not appear to understand.

Reactions: rfc and ksmusa
What do you mean by left and right runway? Can you clarify what each is/does? How do you know 130 degrees is south east? Couldn't it be north west?

Don't planes land down wind and takeoff upwind?
Edit: no matter how I try and comprehend this question I just can't seem to understand.

What do you mean by left and right runway? Can you clarify what each is/does? How do you know 130 degrees is south east? Couldn't it be north west?

Don't planes land down wind and takeoff upwind?
Edit: no matter how I try and comprehend this question I just can't seem to understand.

Ah - OK. Aircraft takeoff and land into the wind, to maximize airspeed which gives lower ground speed. The runway bearing is directional. That runway is 13 (130°) when landing from the SE and taking off in the same direction to the NW. If it were being used the other way then it would be referred to as runway 31 (310°).

Left and right don't refer to runways in this case (although it's also used to differentiate between two parallel runways) - it refers to the traffic pattern. The standard pattern is CCW around the airport (left traffic). It's called left traffic because the downwind to base and base to final turns are left turns.

"Midfield left downwind" means that the aircraft is in a left pattern, on the downwind leg, and level with the field. Since the runway is on 130° that is the upwind direction, and downwind is 310°. Left downwind (CCW traffic) puts it to the right of the field from the pilot's perspective, which is to the NE. NE would be more accurate as an answer but the aircraft is, broadly speaking, east of the airport and heading NW.

Pilots take off into the wind (and land into the wind). So if someone wants to practice landings, they take off on a runway and fly around to the other end to land.
To do this they can make left hand turns, or right hand turns, depending on many factors that don't matter here. If they turn left, the first left turn after takeoff puts them on, what is called the 'left crosswind' leg of the traffic pattern. The next left hand turn puts the pilot flying directly opposite the way they took off and that is the "left downwind" leg. Then the pilots turn left and is on a "left base" leg, and then they turn left and are on "final approach" (no right or left on final because they are exactly the same thing. For purposes of this question, remember that if you are flying Left downwind the runway is on your left. If you are flying Right downwind the runway is on the right.
So, for any given runway, if a plane indicates that they are "mid field" on a 'left downwind" there is only one possible place for them to be. The plane is headed in the opposite direction from the landing direction, half way down the runway (mid field) with the runway on it's left side.
So, now we just need to know what runway is the intended landing runway.

While monitoring the Cooperstown CTAF you hear an aircraft announce that they are midfield left downwind to RWY 13. Where would the aircraft be relative to the runway?

The aircraft is South.
The aircraft is East.
The aircraft is West.

We don't even need to look at the chart for this one. If a plane is on a left downwind for runway 13 (intended landing heading of 130 degrees, south east), that means the plane is heading 310 degrees(to the north west) with the runway on to the left. If you are heading north west, the runway on your left must be south west of you and you are north east of the runway. The only answer offered that is not wrong is EAST.

I don't know how good of a job I have done explaining this so keep asking questions until it becomes clear. It would be much easier if I knew how to draw on this site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Nash
Pilots take off into the wind (and land into the wind). So if someone wants to practice landings, they take off on a runway and fly around to the other end to land.
To do this they can make left hand turns, or right hand turns, depending on many factors that don't matter here. If they turn left, the first left turn after takeoff puts them on, what is called the 'left crosswind' leg of the traffic pattern. The next left hand turn puts the pilot flying directly opposite the way they took off and that is the "left downwind" leg. Then the pilots turn left and is on a "left base" leg, and then they turn left and are on "final approach" (no right or left on final because they are exactly the same thing. For purposes of this question, remember that if you are flying Left downwind the runway is on your left. If you are flying Right downwind the runway is on the right.
So, for any given runway, if a plane indicates that they are "mid field" on a 'left downwind" there is only one possible place for them to be. The plane is headed in the opposite direction from the landing direction, half way down the runway (mid field) with the runway on it's left side.
So, now we just need to know what runway is the intended landing runway.

While monitoring the Cooperstown CTAF you hear an aircraft announce that they are midfield left downwind to RWY 13. Where would the aircraft be relative to the runway?

The aircraft is South.
The aircraft is East.
The aircraft is West.

We don't even need to look at the chart for this one. If a plane is on a left downwind for runway 13 (intended landing heading of 130 degrees, south east), that means the plane is heading 310 degrees(to the north west) with the runway on to the left. If you are heading north west, the runway on your left must be south west of you and you are north east of the runway. The only answer offered that is not wrong is EAST.

I don't know how good of a job I have done explaining this so keep asking questions until it becomes clear. It would be much easier if I knew how to draw on this site.
Wow this is such an easy question, but so difficult as well. Let me make up an example and you tell me if I am correct... Lol

Let's assume their is a single runway called runway 18. That means it is a vertical runway 180 degrees. The 180 degrees means that the plane would land heading north? If it were runway 0 degrees would that mean it lands moving south?

Okay so back to runway 18. The plane is right down wind midfield. That means the plane took two right turns after taking off heading south and is now heading north with the runway on its right?

It will then have to take two more right turns and land south, AKA upwind?

I think that is correct, right?

Wow this is such an easy question, but so difficult as well. Let me make up an example and you tell me if I am correct... Lol

Let's assume their is a single runway called runway 18. That means it is a vertical runway 180 degrees. The 180 degrees means that the plane would land heading north? If it were runway 0 degrees would that mean it lands moving south?

Okay so back to runway 18. The plane is right down wind midfield. That means the plane took two right turns after taking off heading south and is now heading north with the runway on its right?

I think you still misunderstand this - first you wrote that 18 means it would land heading north, and then you wrote that it will land heading south.

18 describes the runway direction (180° = south) and so runway 18 is for landing to the south (from the north) and taking off to the south. Takeoff and landing is upwind, and so south is upwind and north is downwind.

The pattern is for landing. Takeoff is irrelevant - aircraft do not fly into the pattern on takeoff.

If the aircraft is right downwind midfield then it is heading north (downwind) and is going to make two right turns to land to the south (right traffic) - that means that the field is to the aircraft's right and therefore the aircraft is west of the field.​

I think you still misunderstand this - first you wrote that 18 means it would land heading north, and then you wrote that it will land heading south.

18 describes the runway direction (180° = south) and so runway 18 is for landing to the south (from the north) and taking off to the south. Takeoff and landing is upwind, and so south is upwind and north is downwind.

The pattern is for landing. Takeoff is irrelevant - aircraft do not fly into the pattern on takeoff.

If the aircraft is right downwind midfield then it is heading north (downwind) and is going to make two right turns to land to the south (right traffic) - that means that the field is to the aircraft's right and therefore the aircraft is west of the field.​
So I think I just got it backwards? I guess I should remember it as like a clock. If they say runway 18, that means 180 degrees. Similarly if a clock was pointing 180 degrees the minute/hour hand would be facing the "6". That means all landing and taking off is done to the south, where the minute/hour hands are pointing?

Is that a good way of remembering it? Lol

This video is a good explanation of the radio calls at various locations in the traffic pattern

This video is a good explanation of the radio calls at various locations in the traffic pattern

That makes sense. I think the thing that was tripping me up was which way was upwind. Just to be 100% clear.

Runway 9 (90 degrees) a plane would take off upwind, which for simplicities sake we will assume is east. Left downwind would mean the aircraft is north of the runway.

Runway 27 (270 degrees) you would takeoff upwind, which would be west? Left down wind would be south of the runway?

So I think I just got it backwards? I guess I should remember it as like a clock. If they say runway 18, that means 180 degrees. Similarly if a clock was pointing 180 degrees the minute/hour hand would be facing the "6". That means all landing and taking off is done to the south, where the minute/hour hands are pointing?

I suggest remembering it as a compass, which is what it is, rather than a clock.

That makes sense. I think the thing that was tripping me up was which way was upwind. Just to be 100% clear.

Runway 9 (90 degrees) a plane would take off upwind, which for simplicities sake we will assume is east. Left downwind would mean the aircraft is north of the runway.

Runway 27 (270 degrees) you would takeoff upwind, which would be west? Left down wind would be south of the runway?

Yes - but why do you keep referencing takeoff when we are discussing landing patterns?

Yes - but why do you keep referencing takeoff when we are discussing landing patterns?
Because I feel like it's easier to picture where the plane takes off I guess before considering where it lands. You can't land a plane if it never makes it off the ground [emoji23]. Also the original question has to do with neither landing or takeoff so it really doesn't matter.

Note to self: never become an actual pilot.

For runway 18, when you touch town, your heading will be 180 (South). For runway 36 your heading will be 360 (North). The number of the runway will tell you what your compass should read when you are landing.

For runway 18, when you touch town, your heading will be 180 (South). For runway 36 your heading will be 360 (North). The number of the runway will tell you what your compass should read when you are landing.
Yea it makes perfect sense now. Also just realized its called runway 36 and not 00. [emoji16]

Your second paragraph is backwards, but your example is right on. Now, if you are headed north and the runway is on your right, what is the relationship of your plane to the runway.
a. you are east
b you are west
c you are southwest

I understand that it can be daunting, but in reality, there is a great deal of knowledge directly applicable to remotely flying UAS's learned when studying to pilot manned aircraft. Things such as VFR navigation, maintaining situational awareness, wind and weather patterns, learning limitations of both aircraft and pilot...the list goes on and on.

And first and foremost: safely operating your A/C given that other aircraft may be operating nearby. Good for you for working towards your 107. You won't regret it.

Your second paragraph is backwards, but your example is right on. Now, if you are headed north and the runway is on your right, what is the relationship of your plane to the runway.
a. you are east
b you are west
c you are southwest
Assuming it is runway 18. And we are following a non standard right turn pattern because the runway is on our right, the aircraft would be west of runway 18.

Reactions: sar104
I understand that it can be daunting, but in reality, there is a great deal of knowledge directly applicable to remotely flying UAS's learned when studying to pilot manned aircraft. Things such as VFR navigation, maintaining situational awareness, wind and weather patterns, learning limitations of both aircraft and pilot...the list goes on and on.

And first and foremost: safely operating your A/C given that other aircraft may be operating nearby. Good for you for working towards your 107. You won't regret it.
Yea honestly if anything I actually respect pilots now and also what the FAA has created.

I'm on mobile right now and about to hit the hay, but isn't their a free online PDF from the FAA describing all of this as well. I have already watched Tony Northrups video and 3drs part 107 video, but there is still so much more I don't know.

Currently practicing on the remote pilot app that I bought for $5 after I heard good things, but I am getting a lot wrong still because it is new material.

Over the past 3 days I have learned A LOT, but there is still so much to cover.

Lastly, how long does it typically take to book a test? If I want to take it Monday when do you think I should call this week. Still a bit scared to schedule it, but I think I'll be ready..

Because I feel like it's easier to picture where the plane takes off I guess before considering where it lands. You can't land a plane if it never makes it off the ground [emoji23]. Also the original question has to do with neither landing or takeoff so it really doesn't matter.

OK - but the original question has everything to do with landing, because it is about the location of the aircraft in the landing pattern.

As for considering takeoff to answer the question, what happens, as is generally the case, if the aircraft takes off at one airport and lands at a different one? Or takes off at the same airport but the wind has changed when it comes back to land?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54