DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can the FAA mail a ticket to a drone pilot if not caught on the spot by local law enforcement?

JC_Wang

Reactions
72e07e6a35727f954070327302be799c0c517636.jpeg

Dear members of the forum,

I hope this message finds you well. After seeing this image, I have a question regarding the legal implications for drone pilots in certain situations, and I was hoping to gain some insights from the knowledgeable members of this community.

Suppose a drone pilot is flying their drone in an area where it is not permitted or is in violation of other relevant regulations. If a local law enforcement officer located the pilot in the act with the equipment but did not subsequently catch the drone pilot “in the scene,” so to speak, can the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) mail a ticket or impose fines on the pilot based solely on the report provided by the local law enforcement officer?

I understand that the FAA has jurisdiction over drone regulations in the United States, and they are responsible for enforcing these rules. However, in cases where the FAA may not have witnessed the violation directly but receives information from local law enforcement, I am uncertain about the legal process they may follow.

Could anyone shed some light on the procedures that the FAA might undertake in such situations? Are there any specific regulations or legal precedents that would apply here?

I greatly appreciate your expertise and insights into this matter. Thank you for your time and assistance!

• Haha
Reactions: MaxE1955!
View attachment 166264

Dear members of the forum,

I hope this message finds you well. After seeing this image, I have a question regarding the legal implications for drone pilots in certain situations, and I was hoping to gain some insights from the knowledgeable members of this community.

Suppose a drone pilot is flying their drone in an area where it is not permitted or is in violation of other relevant regulations. If a local law enforcement officer located the pilot in the act with the equipment but did not subsequently catch the drone pilot “in the scene,” so to speak, can the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) mail a ticket or impose fines on the pilot based solely on the report provided by the local law enforcement officer?
No. There needs to be an investigation before any fine or revocation is issued. At best, whoever that particular RID module or drone is registered too will receive a phone call or registered letter.

The FAA has to investigate all reports. So any report forwarded to them would be looked into.
I understand that the FAA has jurisdiction over drone regulations in the United States, and they are responsible for enforcing these rules. However, in cases where the FAA may not have witnessed the violation directly but receives information from local law enforcement, I am uncertain about the legal process they may follow.

Could anyone shed some light on the procedures that the FAA might undertake in such situations? Are there any specific regulations or legal precedents that would apply here?

I greatly appreciate your expertise and insights into this matter. Thank you for your time and assistance!
I am one of the folks the Denver FSDO uses to help people learn the rules when there has been a report. When it's deemed it's simply an educational opportunity, FAA Safety Team Drone Pros are called in to perform that consultation.

If the Drone Pro reports everything went fine, then that's almost always the end of it. If we report back that the person isn't cooperative or open to our assistance, then it can be escalated from there.

The FAA has an unofficial "3 strike" rule when it comes to enforcement. They are a safety and education based agency. They have no criminal enforcement powers. They just want folks to fly safe.

Unless the violation is reckless or intentional in nature, they usually have any educational discussion with the first strike, a forced educational encounter for the second strike, and finally if you get a third strike, it's a "come on down to FSDO, and bring your checkbook and drone. And maybe your lawyer" situation.

But like being pulled over on the highway for a cracked tail light, it can be handled any number of ways. If you're nice to the cop, and promise to get it fixed right away, it's unlikely you'll get a ticket. But if you're a turd and accuse him or her of wasting your time, etc., that cop will take the time to find everything wrong with your car. If you're apologetic and cooperative with an FAA investigation, odds are that's the end of it. If you're not, then that's just the beginning of it.

The FAA has to be able to prove it was you flying that drone in your example, so they can't really do anything about it until that happens. So to answer your question, no, they won't mail you a ticket.

Local law enforcement is required by law to report drone incidents to the F.A.A.
They wouldn't mail you a ticket you would first receive a letter stating they are investigating you, so you may defend yourself. Any fine (if any) would be set after the investigation is complete.

Last edited:
No. There needs to be an investigation before any fine or revocation is issued. At best, whoever that particular RID module or drone is registered too will receive a phone call or registered letter.

The FAA has to investigate all reports. So any report forwarded to them would be looked into.

I am one of the folks the Denver FSDO uses to help people learn the rules when there has been a report. When it's deemed it's simply an educational opportunity, FAA Safety Team Drone Pros are called in to perform that consultation.

If the Drone Pro reports everything went fine, then that's almost always the end of it. If we report back that the person isn't cooperative or open to our assistance, then it can be escalated from there.

The FAA has an unofficial "3 strike" rule when it comes to enforcement. They are a safety and education based agency. They have no criminal enforcement powers. They just want folks to fly safe.

Unless the violation is reckless or intentional in nature, they usually have any educational discussion with the first strike, a forced educational encounter for the second strike, and finally if you get a third strike, it's a "come on down to FSDO, and bring your checkbook and drone. And maybe your lawyer" situation.

But like being pulled over on the highway for a cracked tail light, it can be handled any number of ways. If you're nice to the cop, and promise to get it fixed right away, it's unlikely you'll get a ticket. But if you're a turd and accuse him or her of wasting your time, etc., that cop will take the time to find everything wrong with your car. If you're apologetic and cooperative with an FAA investigation, odds are that's the end of it. If you're not, then that's just the beginning of it.

The FAA has to be able to prove it was you flying that drone in your example, so they can't really do anything about it until that happens. So to answer your question, no, they won't mail you a ticket.
Recently, I had a conversation with a lady who informed me that flying a drone around the lake shore where I was standing is not permitted and could lead to ticketing. The lady mentioned that someone had received a ticket for flying a drone in this location.

I'm just wondering how that drone pilot got a ticket. Was the drone pilot caught by the law enforcement officer on the scene? Or was she just kidding me?

Recently, I had a conversation with a lady who informed me that flying a drone around the lake shore where I was standing is not permitted and could lead to ticketing. The lady mentioned that someone had received a ticket for flying a drone in this location.

I'm just wondering how that drone pilot got a ticket. Was the drone pilot caught by the law enforcement officer on the scene? Or was she just kidding me?
Probably a ticket from the local police for violating a city drone ordinance if there really was a ticket written. Most of the time you are just told to pack up and thats it.

Reactions: JC_Wang

Without knowing where you were, it’s impossible to answer that.

There may be land use restrictions there. In that case, it would be a local matter. And they may have received a ticket for that from the local cops.

The FAA doesn’t hand out “tickets”.

My assumption is the lady did not want you flying where you were flying and tried to frighten you off with the threat of a ticket. I recently watched a video of this exact scenario. Man flying over housing development's artificial lake. Two women approach and tell the pilot it is illegal to fly there. He initiates dialogue with the women who become more threatening and they call police as he continues to fly. Police arrive and educate the two women.

Fortunately this all happened prior to RID, or the women would have been armed, wounded the pilot and stole his drone, car, and wallet. (Sarcasm alert for this last sentence)

OP, as been said, the FAA doesn't take punitive actions based solely on law enforcement reports. They try to reach out to you and if they can't reach you by phone, you might get something in the mail. It might explain what has been observed, what the rules are, and/or maybe what went wrong along with some examples about how to correct this or what potential fines could be. Understandable how such a letter could be mistaken and the story goes for a "ticket in the mail." Law enforcement....that's a totally different story. Are you posting the NYC thread as well? If so, the answer might be a little bit different.

Vic,
Based upon personal experience. The FAA rarely gets around to violating anybody. I have personally tried to get somebody violated, witness statements, Reno FISDO inspector's statement, video of the incident, went on and on with boxes of evidence from damage. Oh, case dropped since the FAA could not investigate within the 6 month window of enforcement. The person in question was a serial violator and a foreign national. Very, very impressed. This clown was flying around the country in an absolute POS, unsafe Cessna 310. Nope, far as I know, this German keeps coming back every year, going out of his way to try to kill people with his complete lack of skill and wanton disregard for the rules. As far as I know, nobody has gotten around to pulling his license in the US.

I have also personally been involved in a case before the FAA General Counsel, accompanied by Congressman Westmorland. Outlined 248 violations where Inspectors got it totally wrong and...nothing happened. I am really not to terribly impressed with the enforcement system.

Vic,
Based upon personal experience. The FAA rarely gets around to violating anybody. I have personally tried to get somebody violated, witness statements, Reno FISDO inspector's statement, video of the incident, went on and on with boxes of evidence from damage. Oh, case dropped since the FAA could not investigate within the 6 month window of enforcement. The person in question was a serial violator and a foreign national. Very, very impressed. This clown was flying around the country in an absolute POS, unsafe Cessna 310. Nope, far as I know, this German keeps coming back every year, going out of his way to try to kill people with his complete lack of skill and wanton disregard for the rules. As far as I know, nobody has gotten around to pulling his license in the US.

I have also personally been involved in a case before the FAA General Counsel, accompanied by Congressman Westmorland. Outlined 248 violations where Inspectors got it totally wrong and...nothing happened. I am really not to terribly impressed with the enforcement system.
Enforcement is incredibly lacking, especially in the UAS sphere.

There is some movement within the FAA office to make some of the enforcement actions public. Hopefully soon.

If that happens, we can point to instances where the FAA has enforced some violations at least. I'm hoping to hear something soon. Maybe at Baltimore in a few days. I'll bring it up again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BluMav