DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK Drone pilot gets $1,900 fine

How did the pilot even fly in a NFZ? My Mini 3 Pro won't let me take off if I'm in a NFZ. I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
It isn't a no-fly zone. This is one of the charges:

• Two charges of flying an unmanned aircraft in a flight restriction zone without permission

There's a small difference.

DJI Fly won't let me fly in an Authorization Zone either. Seems odd he could fly at all being so close to an airport. Perhaps DJI treats the UK and Canada differently. Or did this pilot use some kind of a 'hack' to fly regardless of restrictions?

You would think fly would prevent him from flying in a airport zone.

I don't see the fine as either good or bad, it's the fact some idiot actually got caught breaking drone laws. It's the ramifications of the act which we should be worried about. The do-good crowd need nothing more than a situation they can say " See I said they were a bunch of crooks" One more instance where EVERY quadcopter pilot gets tarred with the same brush. Those who would love to see every quadcopter or drone barred from the air will be clapping their hands and dreaming of an uncluttered sky. Let's hope there aren't too many more being ignorant of the law or wanting to thumb their noses at it. The outcome will affect us all.

As for the guilty one, let's not feel sorry for him, if he managed to keep the SD Card, he'll simply post the video on YouTube and make enough money to buy a new craft and phone. That's one good reason that these numbskulls openly break the laws.

Look at Tic Tok, There's a competition being run where youngsters are told to break into private homes to steal specific items PLUS record the family asleep in their beds. If you can't get that footage you're out of the competition. Our small town is currently having homes invaded by young boys and men. Residents are showing videos taken by security cameras. These youngsters couldn't care less about being seen, mainly because the police and courts are doing nothing to stop them. Oh yes, the police are doing something, I almost forgot. They're telling us residents not to touch the little darlings, "Don't Be Vigilantes" they say.

Aware of laws/rules or not, common sense could answer a lot of questions (if you let it). Let's see, I'm flying a machine with the equivalent of four rotating knives. Should I fly it over a crowd of people? Hmmmm, maybe not.

I'm near an airport with manned aircraft flying in and out.... should I fly at all? Hmmmm, maybe not. Actually, MY Mavic 2 won't even take off in a restricted zone, so I'm a little surprised his did.

There are so many things that common sense SHOULD help you answer. Basically, if you have a little doubt, just don't do it. You might not get good video, but you also might not hurt someone or get fined, etc.

At one job, years ago, I was given the task of writing a sexual harassment manual. I told my boss I could do it in one sentence, "If you have the slightest doubt about doing or saying anything around the opposite sex... DON'T!"

He smirked a bit but then I had t write a 30-page booklet anyway.

I am a member of the Air 2S Facebook page. People are constantly posting videos of flights that you pretty much know are in violation of FAA rules. When you post a comment about what idiots they are, you wouldn’t believe how many retaliatory statements are made towards your post. If you post something like, “And that’s why the FAA had to step in and make all of these regulations”, many blast you for making such a statement. Why don’t people learn that it’s the bad apples that are causing consternation for the rest of us?

I am a member of the Air 2S Facebook page. People are constantly posting videos of flights that you pretty much know are in violation of FAA rules. When you post a comment about what idiots they are, you wouldn’t believe how many retaliatory statements are made towards your post. If you post something like, “And that’s why the FAA had to step in and make all of these regulations”, many blast you for making such a statement. Why don’t people learn that it’s the bad apples that are causing consternation for the rest of us?
You don't have to go that far to see videos in violation of the FAA rules. I've seen countless videos here on the video showcase forum that are clearly BVLOS .There's also whole forum section on here about drone mods and upgrading the stock antennae and other hacks . If your gonna tell me these folk are still gonna fly within line of sight your deluding yourself. I'm not judging anyone , each to their own , just saying

Reactions: Torque and umanbean
DJI Fly won't let me fly in an Authorization Zone either. Seems odd he could fly at all being so close to an airport.
I've had DJI Fly prevent me from flying where I had the legal right to do so (disused airstrip), and have no restrictions where I shouldn't even be able to take off (right beside active heliport*).

Not saying he didn't use a hack, but it could be an issue with the FlySafe database.

*Needless to say, I didn't fly there. I was prepping for a shot in the area and wanted to be aware of all the authorization zones as well as the Transport Canada restrictions— and was really surprised that the heliport wasn't in FlySafe at all.

At one job, years ago, I was given the task of writing a sexual harassment manual. I told my boss I could do it in one sentence, "If you have the slightest doubt about doing or saying anything around the opposite sex... DON'T!"
A lot of harassing behaviour comes from people who have no doubts whatsoever that they are behaving in an appropriate manner, sadly.

I'm not a fan of a couple of the FAA rules when it comes to zero tolerance enforcement but overall the rules are fair and manageable as long as they are not strictly enforced. My opinion. However, I am shocked with this one. I cannot believe how lenient the punishment is because if this is me, here in the US, I'm sure it wouldn't be the same.

Again, for me, true ignorance of the law is no excuse especially when it comes to safety but I've always been a fan of leniency if no one actually got hurt or property was not damaged or nothing ended up compromised, less than 250g. I would vote for cutting the fine in half or probation instead of jail time, when it's not done on purpose for example. Plead guilty or no contest, lessons learned. But if harm comes, sucks to be you; big fines. That's my thoughts. But this guy, this takes to cake. I don't know about you but this sends the wrong message, me thinks:

I agree the laws are pretty balanced. I'd argue this case may be extreme and agree if there was no malicious or selfish intent that jailtime could have been waived, but I also don't know the details of how he was flying. I know the last thing I want to see when the plane I'm on is taking off or landing would be a drone not paying attention and one rule I do believe needs to be stricktly enforced is Class D airspace limits. It's literally the one rule we all know so bending it kinda means you deserve what you get if you get caught.

Reactions: BigAl07
Although not displaying his registration number was one of the cited offences, it doesn’t say whether he was actually registered (nor insured?).
I'm sure if his drone were sporting a DroneTatt with his reg# he'd have gotten off, lol :)

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas