DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Where are the UK drone regs?

Pendolino

Reactions
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of the actual, statutory instruments that lay out the drone laws in the UK, specifically those pertaining to maximum height and visual line of sight requirements etc? They used to fall under Article 94 of the Air Navigation Order 2016, but have all been redacted in recent revisions, because they now fall under the new 'UAS regs'.

Where are these found? All I keep coming back to is the Drone Code, published by the CAA, but where is this actually enacted into law?

Reason for asking is simply that I like to read my laws from the source, rather than through a filter, even one as reputable as the CAA!

Cheers!

It is still the Air Navigations Order 2016 as amended by

The Air Navigation (Amendment) Order 2022​

It is still the Air Navigations Order 2016 as amended by

The Air Navigation (Amendment) Order 2022​

There is no reference to the maximum height/visual line of sight rules in that amendment, nor in the most recent version (2022) of the ANO 2016.

There are a couple of sources I've found that also reinforce the fact that it's been removed from the ANO now, instead falling under its own set of regs, which I'm so far failing to locate...!

There is no reference to the maximum height/visual line of sight rules in that amendment, nor in the most recent version (2022) of the ANO 2016.
There won't be, those restrictions are part of a statutory instrument issued by the CAA who are empowered by the act to make enforceable "conditions" to enable the legal flying of manned and unmanned aircraft in UK airspace.

They obtain this authority primarily from the Air Traffic Management and Unmanned Aircraft Act 2021.

They publish the "rules" on their website and I am pretty sure if you wanted to contact them, they will supply them in printed legal form.
My understanding is that they can change/amend any of these "conditions" without the necessity of any change in statutory law requiring Parliamentary time.

It is a similar situation to the granting of Bye Laws. An Act of Parliament gives only a legal legitimacy, but the Byelaws are “locally” drafted/amended under this umbrella legal statutory framework.

I have to admit that I am slightly confused by your angle, you seem to be suggestive that we are all having to follow laws that have no authoritative baring on us?

There won't be, those restrictions are part of a statutory instrument issued by the CAA who are empowered by the act to make enforceable "conditions" to enable the legal flying of manned and unmanned aircraft in UK airspace.

They obtain this authority primarily from the Air Traffic Management and Unmanned Aircraft Act 2021.

They publish the "rules" on their website and I am pretty sure if you wanted to contact them, they will supply them in printed legal form.
My understanding is that they can change/amend any of these "conditions" without the necessity of any change in statutory law requiring Parliamentary time.

It is a similar situation to the granting of Bye Laws. An Act of Parliament gives only a legal legitimacy, but the Byelaws are “locally” drafted/amended under this umbrella legal statutory framework.

Thanks, that makes sense!

I have to admit that I am slightly confused by your angle, you seem to be suggestive that we are all having to follow laws that have no authoritative baring on us?

Not at all - ironically, I'm a stickler for the rules, and my job depends on following a set of very strict rules to the letter, which necessitates an intimate knowledge of the laws from which they are derived.

I've been doing the job so long that anything safety related awakens the same curiosity to fully understand how the law is written. The allusion to the height and LOS rules were for convenience, as they're the ones that should have the greatest visibility and, by extension, traceability.

Also, I've always found that it's much easier to cover oneself and dispatch those of the 'Karen' persuasion when you have a batch of laws, acts and articles on standby, especially in such a niche area as drone flying!

Reactions: KBF and Dronecation
Also, I've always found that it's much easier to cover oneself and dispatch those of the 'Karen' persuasion when you have a batch of laws, acts and articles on standby, especially in such a niche area as drone flying!

Well presented and point taken!

Reactions: Pendolino
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1