DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada: "Don't fly in populated areas"

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
So looking at the Canadian "rules", one of them starts:

"Don't fly in populated areas ..."

I live in a suburban area where most lots are in the 7000 - 10000' square foot range.

Is that considered "populated"?

Additional info: on the sectional chart (1:500,000) where I live is "yellow" - would that be interpreted as "populated area"?

I haven't been flying here much except for test flights where I head over the boulevard and to the entrance to a forested area - there I'm quite legal. It's the 150 metres of "travel" to the entrance that I'm possibly not compliant.

(As to the out-of-sight, let's leave that for another discussion).

I find the rules/regs for flying in Canada quite vague. Don't fly near peaple, animals, or vehicles, higher than 300 feet, near airports. Always keep in eye sight of the drone, and do not rely on monitoring devices.... so essentially, buy a litehawk and fly it in your basement when the kids go to bed.

Reactions: Slantnose79
I find the rules/regs for flying in Canada quite vague. Don't fly near peaple, animals, or vehicles, higher than 300 feet, near airports. Always keep in eye sight of the drone, and do not rely on monitoring devices.... so essentially, buy a litehawk and fly it in your basement when the kids go to bed.

It's hard to go flying and not be in violation of the rules in some manner. My fallback is that if I end up in court is that I'll show the judge the concise clear rules of aviation v. the vague guidance with lack of definition for drones.

For the purpose of "populated areas" I'm sort of using the "yellow" areas on the VNC and VTA. That ain't that accurate, actually.

thanks. I know these are coming and they are in large part even more ridiculous than the interim rules. <sigh>
I get the concept of basic proficiency with the rules and being at an age of where there should be at least some responsibility on the part of the pilot, but I honestly wonder who and how will these regs be policed?
My guess is it will be an 'after the fact' any time there is an incident.
Also curious how slow the Cdn insurance industry will be to be able to offer some sort of house insurance rider or similar or will there be a new sector called "drone insurance".

I get the concept of basic proficiency with the rules and being at an age of where there should be at least some responsibility on the part of the pilot, but I honestly wonder who and how will these regs be policed?
My guess is it will be an 'after the fact' any time there is an incident.
Also curious how slow the Cdn insurance industry will be to be able to offer some sort of house insurance rider or similar or will there be a new sector called "drone insurance".

There is drone insurance in Canada for SFOC operators - I assume that can be extended to operators under the new scheme.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada