DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cannot change from Normal to Tripod or sport mode

JP_CACIKE

Reactions
I've been flying this Mavic Air 2 since I purchased it in June 2020 it has been perfect up to now. since the last firmware update, I cannot change to Tripod or Sport.
I made sure that the latest firmware is installed. As a precaution I calibrated the IMU and the GPS. The first time it happened it went away but the second time it stayed stuck on normal mode no matter the altitude or speed flown. It appears the only flight mode shown is Normal when in flight. Although the MA2 flies normally with no unusual behavior seen, my main concern is the safety. I will appreciate any suggestions. Happy holidays
MA2 Flight Mode Issue

Reactions: Cafguy
I've been flying this Mavic Air 2 since I purchased it in June 2020 it has been perfect up to now. since the last firmware update, I cannot change to Tripod or Sport.

I made sure that the latest firmware is installed. As a precaution I calibrated the IMU and the GPS.
There's no need to recalibrate anything after a firmware update.
Doing it won't make anything better.
I'm not sure what you are actually doing, but there is no way anyone can calibrate the GPS.

The first time it happened it went away but the second time it stayed stuck on normal mode no matter the altitude or speed flown. It appears the only flight mode shown is Normal when in flight.

Your recorded flight data will show what mode the drone is flying in if you needed to check.
If your drone is flying at Sport Mode speed, it's in Sport Mode.

It's not clear if this is your issue, but something that confuses users is that the flight mode switch won't work until you have launched the drone.
If you try to launch in Sport Mode, the drone is still going to be in Normal Mode even with the switch in the Sport position.
Are you using the switch in flight?

I'm not sure what you are actually doing, but there is no way anyone can calibrate the GPS.

Your recorded flight data will show what mode the drone is flying in if you needed to check.

It's not clear if this is your issue, but something that confuses users is that the flight mode switch won't work until you have launched the drone.
If you try to launch in Sport Mode, the drone is still going to be in Normal Mode even with the switch in the Sport position.
Yes, I used the switch while in flight. my understanding is that normal mode is the default at take off.
I've always been able to switch modes while in flight. now, it doesn't matter the altitude or whether I'm moving or not. Thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Lack of Sport and Tripod modes is no threat to safety.
Thank you for your response, yes, I agree it shouldn't matter and it does fly well.

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Thanks Meta, regarding the calibration, I didn't expect that it would fix the issue but I wanted to make sure nothing else was wrong regardless of how insignificant that may have some other effect. But you right, it really shouldn't have anything to do with the flight modes.

I made sure that the latest firmware is installed. As a precaution I calibrated the IMU and the GPS. The first time it happened it went away but the second time it stayed stuck on normal mode no matter the altitude or speed flown. It appears the only flight mode shown is Normal when in flight. Although the MA2 flies normally with no unusual behavior seen, my main concern is the safety. I will appreciate any suggestions. Happy holidays
MA2 Flight Mode Issue
Go to your settings in controller with aircraft on and enable your modes. I had to do this in my mavic 2 pro

Make sure you have enabled intelligent flight modes. Mine randomly decides to this Off in the settings menu. If it's off, you can't change flight modes

Go to your settings in controller with aircraft on and enable your modes. I had to do this in my mavic 2 pro
First, i want to thank everyone who offered to help, that's what these forums are all about. Prior to posting my issue, I had written to DJI support and I'm still waiting to hear from them. Today, I found what may provide a hint of what the problem may be. Thankfully, it's not a hardware issue with the switch. I know this because today, I tried connecting to my MA2 with my IPhone 13, and it worked. I was able to switch from Tripod to Normal and Sport. It could be since the last DJI update that my Android Tripltek 7 device is not compatible with the last firmware. I'm not positive that this is the issue but I did not have this issue before using my Android Tripltek 7 device. HFTA

First, i want to thank everyone who offered to help, that's what these forums are all about. Prior to posting my issue, I had written to DJI support and I'm still waiting to hear from them. Today, I found what may provide a hint of what the problem may be. Thankfully, it's not a hardware issue with the switch. I know this because today, I tried connecting to my MA2 with my IPhone 13, and it worked. I was able to switch from Tripod to Normal and Sport. It could be since the last DJI update that my Android Tripltek 7 device is not compatible with the last firmware. I'm not positive that this is the issue but I did not have this issue before using my Android Tripltek 7 device. HFTA
One other thought just came to mind. Did you reboot everything after the firmware update?
Have you tried the Triplek now that things have been rebooted?

It could be since the last DJI update that my Android Tripltek 7 device is not compatible with the last firmware.
That sounds quite unlikely.
The phone or tablet is not involved in selecting flight modes.
You can fly the drone and switch flight modes without any phone or tablet being connected.

Reactions: MA2 317
That sounds quite unlikely.
The phone or tablet is not involved in selecting flight modes.
You can fly the drone and switch flight modes without any phone or tablet being connected.
Yes, I've always been able to fly and switch whether in flight or not.

One other thought just came to mind. Did you reboot everything after the firmware update?
Have you tried the Triplek now that things have been rebooted?
Hello Yorkshire, Yes, I have tried everything you and others mentioned. I received a reply from DJI support via email which read "Have you tried checking and setting the system permissions also the DJI Fly app permission of the Tripltek 7 Android device?" Yes, I did. I then called DJI and spoke with a technician who agreed that it's most likely is the new firmware and the limitations of my Android Tripltek Tablet (Android Version 9). Note that the only issue is that I cannot see if I am in "Tripod, or Sport mode" (or speed). Other than not seeing what the "rate of speed" that I have, all of the other telemetry data is displayed. Next time I fly, I will test while in "Sport mode" to see if the drone's speed is affected. Thanks to everyone for your time and consideration, I'll get back with an update. Happy Holidays.

spoke with a technician who agreed that it's most likely is the new firmware and the limitations of my Android Tripltek Tablet (Android Version 9).
A firmware update won't have that effect on a tablet that's working properly.
Sounds like you talked with a DJI person who didn't know know and was just agreeing with you.

A firmware update won't have that effect on a tablet that's working properly.
Sounds like you talked with a DJI person who didn't know know and was just agreeing with you.
Meta, unfortunately, I ended the DJI discussion with that same sentiment. Well, I can't say he's right or wrong..yet either.

What I am wondering is if this drone is in guest mode, since you know the switch is working. Maybe try logging out and rebonding the drone to the controller. Worst case scenario would be to create a new DJI account with new email. As others have suggested I dont think its the Monitor.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2S in the Rain.

What I am wondering is if this drone is in guest mode, since you know the switch is working. Maybe try logging out and rebonding the drone to the controller. Worst case scenario would be to create a new DJI account with new email. As others have suggested I dont think its the Monitor.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly the Air 2S in the Rain.
Okay sounds good Phantom, I'm going to re-bind the drone and create a new DJI account. I find it interesting that you mentioned changing the account and email because when I spoke with DJI, they had an email that was not the one I thought was under my registration. But here's what's puzzling to me, why is this not a problem when I connect an IOS device? When I connect the Tripltek 7 Pro (Model 1721 Android ver.9) I can see all of the other telemetry except the mode type i.e. Tripod or Sport. Can it be a firmware issue since it works on the IOS devices? Great suggestion, I will be back with the results in a few days. Happy Holidays

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Can it be a firmware issue since it works on the IOS devices?
No .. that's not something that would be affected by firmware.
Great suggestion, I will be back with the results in a few days.
Instead of jumping at what someone guesses, it would be better to identify the actual problem and address that.
How about posting some flight data to see if that has some clues?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc