DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Catching the Mavic Air from a boat

...along with Loss of Remote Connection set to Hover.

Now that is a great point that I hadn't thought of. Last thing you want is for the Mavic to auto-return and land to Home on a moving boat that isn't there anymore.

You may already know, but, worth mentioning, taking off from your boat do not forget that the RTH is where you were when it took off. The boat may drift and move, and in an emergency the AC will return where it was, not where you are, and that would make it hard to catch in any configuration.

I haven't tried it yet, but was going to try tying a long light line (6-10') to the my Air. Then to retrieve it fly it nearby the boat and have someone grab the line. Then keep power on and reel it in until you can grab it. My thought is it would be easier to grab a line vs trying to land it on a moving sailboat (with all the rigging to run into) or palm grab it. May save fingers too.

I haven't tried it yet, but was going to try tying a long light line (6-10') to the my Air. Then to retrieve it fly it nearby the boat and have someone grab the line. Then keep power on and reel it in until you can grab it. My thought is it would be easier to grab a line vs trying to land it on a moving sailboat (with all the rigging to run into) or palm grab it. May save fingers too.

Come on now. There is no reason to be tying string or line to these drones. Catch it with your hand, or just let it land on you. Practice first on land and then its not that hard. I have been landing my original mavic, my air and now my mavic pro 2 all on boats in rough seas by hand. If really that concerned about getting bit by the blades either wear gloves or land it on something hard on the deck. I use my drone a lot of wakeboarding or wake surfing and sometimes if the boats rocking too much I hold a surfboard up and land on that. Practice, practice PRACTICE

I haven't tried it yet, but was going to try tying a long light line (6-10') to the my Air. Then to retrieve it fly it nearby the boat and have someone grab the line....
You mean like this?

With a weighted line it looks like it should work. I have been meaning to test this myself but never get around to it. I do not spend very much time on a boat.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112