DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Check usage of Mavic and batteries

Antohagg

Reactions
Hi,

Just got a new Mavic. I ordered the Combo pack.
When I received it it looked like the package had been opened and when I asked at the store they said they opened the pack to check that everything was in there. I would have preferred an unopened pack, but since there is really hard to get hold of it here in Norway, i might have to stick with it. The serial number on the outer box (brown) matches the one on the Mavic box, but the serial number on the other white box containing the Combo pack does not match the one on the Mavic box and the outer pack.

So my question: Is there any way to check if the drone and /or the batteries have been used previously?

/Anton

You can check how many times the batteries have been charged in the "Aircraft Battery" section of DJI GO. That count increments by one each time the battery is charged 100% of the way. That usually requires at least two charges since the battery is never depleted to 0%.

DJI-GO-Battery-Times-Charged.jpg

Use DatCon to view any internal DAT flight logs stored on your Mavic. That'll tell you if/where it was flown.

The Mavic must be registered to be able to fly so once you have charged everything follow the startup instructions and you should be prompted to register the drone this will confirm it has not been used.

You can also conect the drone to you computer and use the Assistant software to look at the mavics internal flight files.

Remember if you are going to take out DJI Care Refresh you ca do this during your setup process.

The Mavic itself has a small memory chip inside that cannot be erased by the end-user, which logs a few flights. If you fly often, the oldest logged flights seem to be purged in favor of the newer flights. This is used for analysis by DJI for warranty claims. You can also fetch these logs and some of our forum members (@msinger above) have tools to study the log contents.

You can check how many times the batteries have been charged in the "Aircraft Battery" section of DJI GO. That count increments by one each time the battery is charged 100% of the way. That usually requires at least two charges since the battery is never depleted to 0%.

View attachment 6365

Use DatCon to view any internal DAT flight logs stored on your Mavic. That'll tell you if/where it was flown.

Ok, so I connected the Drone to a PC, downloaded the files (there was 2 .DAT files in the the folder). Also the gimbal was moving back and forth and making a vibrating sound, is this normal?

Anyway, tried to convert them to CSV files to analyse what had happened, but did't really know what to look for.

Anyone interested in giving me a hand? Files can be found here...
Login - Dropbox

/Anton

the gimbal was moving back and forth and making a vibrating sound, is this normal?
It's not normal unless you had the gimbal lock attached (which you shouldn't do).

Ok, so I connected the Drone to a PC, downloaded the files (there was 2 .DAT files in the the folder). Also the gimbal was moving back and forth and making a vibrating sound, is this normal?

Anyway, tried to convert them to CSV files to analyse what had happened, but did't really know what to look for.

Anyone interested in giving me a hand? Files can be found here...
Login - Dropbox

/Anton
The easiest thing to do is install and run CsvView.

1 Load either the .DAT or the .csv produced by DatCon.
2. Start the GeoPlayer. If there was a flight it will show the path in the GeoPlayer. If there wasn't a flight there will be a message in the LogArea saying there were no Lat/Long values
3. In the SigPlayers area select the MotorSpeeds SigPlayer. That will show if the motors were started.

Reactions: Antohagg
@Antohagg There is a .DAT produced each time the Mavic is powered up. This includes the powerUp to retrieve the .DATs. With just two existing .DATs that leaves the first as the only possibility of having been powered up by someone else. But, I'm betting that you probably did that one also when you first got your Mavic? AFAIK DJI is the only entity capable of removing all the .DATs from the Mavic.

The easiest thing to do is install and run CsvView.

1 Load either the .DAT or the .csv produced by DatCon.
2. Start the GeoPlayer. If there was a flight it will show the path in the GeoPlayer. If there wasn't a flight there will be a message in the LogArea saying there were no Lat/Long values
3. In the SigPlayers area select the MotorSpeeds SigPlayer. That will show if the motors were started.

@BudWalker Thanks a lot for the first guidance!
It looks like the AC has not been in the air since there is no Long, Lat and there is no Motor speed registered.
I wonder if they start the AC at the assembly line to check stuff. Checked the CSV file in Excel and found it had an reading of "-126 meters". Isn't a bit strange that there is such registered values (below sea level).

/Anton

@Antohagg There is a .DAT produced each time the Mavic is powered up. This includes the powerUp to retrieve the .DATs. With just two existing .DATs that leaves the first as the only possibility of having been powered up by someone else. But, I'm betting that you probably did that one also when you first got your Mavic? AFAIK DJI is the only entity capable of removing all the .DATs from the Mavic.

Nope, I was a bit suspicious since when inspecting the package it seemed that it had been opened, that's why I wanted to check it first.

It's not normal unless you had the gimbal lock attached (which you shouldn't do).

Had the gimbal clamp of, recorded a video of the sound and uploaded it to the dropbox...
Login - Dropbox

Edit: I guess the ticking sound is the USS but and then there is the fan. But if you listen carefully, there is another clicking sound...

/Anton

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute