DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chinese passenger jet in mid-air scare - Don't be a foolio

If that plane was on approach it would be travelling around 400-500 kmh. There is no way a plane travelling by a stationary drone would:

1. move this slowly across the frame
2. Not have any amount of motion blur even at the highest of shutter speeds (which would result in ground background blur)

This is most certainly computer generated

Reactions: SussexBedouin
If that plane was on approach it would be travelling around 400-500 kmh. There is no way a plane travelling by a stationary drone would:

1. move this slowly across the frame
2. Not have any amount of motion blur even at the highest of shutter speeds (which would result in ground background blur)

This is most certainly computer generated

The airplane is clearly on approach.
The landing gear is down and it is descending.
The speed would be 120-130 knots, or 220-230 kph.

The quality of the video sucks.

Intentionally diminish the quality of the video footage to conceal that it was computer generated.
The Mavic Pro has a 4 K camera and the pilot of the drone would have used a high quality format when filming most likely. Unless unaware of the higher quality options or to save space on the Micro SD card. He could have just pulled this from the cached video from the device he was using to fly I imagine and that would degrade the footage as well.

It's suspect in the very least.

Reactions: Slantnose79
I totally agree. It was mentioned in at least one article that he was taking pictures of the sunset. Who takes ultra low res pics of the sunset or anything else with a camera of that caliber?

Last edited:
Fake or not, it's another blow to public opinion on "drones". Even if it turns out to be fake, the follow-up coverage will get will be zilch compared to this fear-mongering report.

Reactions: DroningOn
Fake or not, it's another blow to public opinion on "drones". Even if it turns out to be fake, the follow-up coverage will get will be zilch compared to this fear-mongering report.

Dont I know it! Fair and equitable representation of both sides of an issue is not the medias strong suit.

Reactions: erkme73
The airplane is clearly on approach.
The landing gear is down and it is descending.
The speed would be 120-130 knots, or 220-230 kph.

Yeah and by these revised numbers the distance covered seems even more feasible. It's not moving 'too slow' to disprove this thing...

I totally agree. It was mentioned in at least one article that he was taking pictures of the sunset. Who takes ultra low res pics of the sunset or anything else with a camera of that caliber?

I'm guessing with those clouds, the sunset was something less than impressive.

It's obviously fake, the article itself is mischievously worded to make it seem like DJI confirm it is taken with a Mavic but read it properly:

"Recent footage from China claims to depict an unmanned aerial flight close to a commercial airliner. As the world leader in easy-to-fly aerial photography tools, we strongly condemn the use of this technology in areas that conflict with the safe and normal operations of manned air traffic. We have been asked by the relevant authorities to assist in the investigation of this incident and will do so within the scope of our standard terms of use," DJI told IBTimes UK.

It's being investigated, the results won't get headline coverage though because it looks suspiciously like a recording of well known computer game.

Reactions: erkme73
I think it certainly could be real..... and it's not moving "to slow". at 200 kts or so that looks about right.

Someone pointed this story out to me and said 'I'm sure Mavic Pilots will deny it's real!'.... LOL so funny, planes approaching at astronomical speeds and all other BS.... Guy gets caught once you know 100s more didn't.

More bad press is bad enough, blind defense of the facts makes it worse. One thing I've learn't in life let alone in the RC world there is always someone to deny it happended... Thumbswayup

Just spoke to friend who's a commercial airline pilot and in his words he said 'it's very sim like!!'.

But said it could happen...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190