DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

chipped propellers: do you still use it?

No it's not I just destroyed 5 more sets of props doing a full speed hyper tail spin!

Nail them to your garage wall and it's a story to talk about with your buddy's when your drinking a beer but I am with everyone else get rid of them before you accidentally use them. I was told to not use props for 20 hrs and replace them no matter what they look like is that true

I bin any props that have had a brush with an object, simply not worth the risk, despite the suspension and the clever electronics these days your car tyres are the only thing that keeps you on the road. In the same way those props are the only thing that keeps the Mavic in the air (and the very clever electronics of course).

Until today when my Typhoon H tipped on landing (those things actually do not like to land) I haven't had to throw any for years, but today despite the back 2 props looking fine I will bin them and use a couple of spares.

Props are cheap, the Mavic isn't nor is your head if it landed on you.

.... You could use these chipped ones and replace at the next best opportunity. In my instace, I took another step to repair the ones I had. I carefully cut pieces from one of the broken blades to match the chip of the one I wanted to repair and superglued and sanded it down ... I'm a mechanical engineer with experience in this field ...
Wow, really? -- you spent time repairing chipped blades? Check out youtube videos of "extreme testing" and tell me what difference a chip makes when people demonstrate that half a blade can be missing and it still flies.

OK, you had me going there for a while -- I thought you were serious.

Well the other thing that is incredibly important to remember is that vibrations are the enemy. The small issue is they can effect video footage.. that's not a huge deal you can reshoot. The real issue is what vibration does to your copter. On the Phantoms that is what causes stress cracks and excess wear on the motors.

If you notice damage to the props ditch them.

Reactions: Soundtekk
I wouldn't if I had spares. There is a video on YouTube that demonstrates that the Mavic can still fly on cut props.

And airplanes make it home with lots of damage. They're repaired before flight though.

Chipped = vibration = stress on the hub + more work for the motor.

$12 for a set, I think? Really going to abuse your $1000 drone instead?

Reactions: Soundtekk
You guys are gonna hate that youtube vid where they basically cut a mavic's props down to ittsy little stubs and the thing still flies. Not saying I advocate that, but a tiny chip at the end of a prop is unlikely to result in a crash. I have a few thousand hours piloting medium and heavy turboprops and you should see how many chips are in our props.

A relatively heavy metal propeller with stone dings in it v. a lightweight plastic prop with a significant proportion of its mass missing don't compare. The hub is plastic and it will bear the vibration. Not a good thing besides the load put on the motor.

On your turboprops the AME (whatever they're called where you are) signed off - usually after seeing that the "chip" location was "dressed" to prevent crack propagation.

Look, I was so skeptical of a slight chip and kept flying... But I changed the blades as I had spare... WHAT a difference! Stability vastly improves as it doesn't slowly float away. Look its not drastic, but you can see drone cpu trying to calibrate itself constantly at a micro second level.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661