DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Choppy and pixelated video

SkyIScrape

Reactions
Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on here?

Yes, I did fly it out of the house, which is at 72°, into 8° weather. Yes, I know it’s not smart to fly indoors.

I haven’t flown this bird in over a month and a half, so I did a gimbal and compass calibration prior to take off.

Thoughts?

What happens when you fly outside when there is nothing (e.g. a house) between the Mavic and remote controller?

What happens when you fly outside when there is nothing (e.g. a house) between the Mavic and remote controller?

Never had issues before. Flown it at least 20 times prior. This is the first time it acted like this at the house. It did something similar on one or two other flights but not to this extent.

The remote always didn’t have any objects between it. I stepped out on the porch when it was outside. When I brought it back down I was standing in the doorway with nothing between remote and bird.

How were the remote controller antennas positioned when the Mavic was flying directly above you?

The flat side of the antennas should always point directly at the Mavic. If the Mavic is flying directly above you (the worst place to fly signal-wise), you'll most likely have to reposition the antennas.

The flat side of the antennas should always point directly at the Mavic. If the Mavic is flying directly above you (the worst place to fly signal-wise), you'll most likely have to reposition the antennas.

Yes, that’s what I meant by the 45 degree angle. I actually learned that from a post you had a couple months back. I the only point in the video can I say it was above my head was upon landing but not directly above. But I do see your point and that may be the answer for the choppiness at the end of the video but the really choppy parts I definitely had the flat side of the antenna pointed at the machine.

I’m gonna give it another shot this afternoon and I’ll let you know how it goes.

I really appreciate your insight. Not just on this thread but many others. Ive learned a lot from reading your posts.

Thanks

So, this is the video from your phone, right? How does it compare to the video on the drone's SD card? I agree that it appears to be a bandwidth issue on the video feed. When it first starts at 0:20 you are 1) fairly close to the metal gutters on the house and 2) yawing very quickly. Later, at 0:27, you have again just sped up the yaw speed. When it was slow the feed was fine, when it was fast there were some kind of artifacts showing up. My guess is that you're getting signal interference and your antennas on the RC were (at 45 degrees and from where the drone seems to be relative to the take-off point) pretty much pointing right at it. If you were also trying to feed HD to the phone you just didn't have the signal strength so the video feed just got garbled when it was changing quickly.

So, this is the video from your phone, right? How does it compare to the video on the drone's SD card? I agree that it appears to be a bandwidth issue on the video feed. When it first starts at 0:20 you are 1) fairly close to the metal gutters on the house and 2) yawing very quickly. Later, at 0:27, you have again just sped up the yaw speed. When it was slow the feed was fine, when it was fast there were some kind of artifacts showing up. My guess is that you're getting signal interference and your antennas on the RC were (at 45 degrees and from where the drone seems to be relative to the take-off point) pretty much pointing right at it. If you were also trying to feed HD to the phone you just didn't have the signal strength so the video feed just got garbled when it was changing quickly.
MadValley, it looks perfectly fine from the SD card. I didnt think there'd be a difference. Thanks for enlightening me! Cheers!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark