DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

clipped wing(arm) comes out of socket

Denian

Reactions
Problem? Mavic pro
I replaced the rear left arm shaft of my drone after I crashed it. the arm had been riped completely out of the socket hanging only on the motor wires.
Everything fitted well back together and i did not see any strange damages on/inside the wing. (no broken plastic or metal)
I screwed everything tight as can be but the arm still can come out of The socket on the side when its being pulled in axial direction..

Is this because of something broken inside the socket or the arm?
i dont really understand how the otherside is not movable in axial direction. i dont see a safeguard holding it in place..
If anybody could explain me how this works.. Thanks in advance!

Was unit in a crash?
Yes. it had a collision with mount vesuvius.

What have you tried so far?
tightening all screws around and on the arm.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-21 at 19.03.26.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-11-21 at 19.03.27.jpeg

Last edited:
Problem?
I replaced the rear left arm shaft of my drone after I crashed it. the arm had been riped completely out of the socket hanging only on the motor wires.
Everything fitted well back together and i did not see any strange damages on/inside the wing. (no broken plastic or metal)
I screwed everything tight as can be but the arm still can come out of The socket on the side when its being pulled in axial direction..

Is this because of something broken inside the socket or the arm?
i dont really understand how the otherside is not movable in axial direction. i dont see a safeguard holding it in place..
If anybody could explain me how this works.. Thanks in advance!

Was unit in a crash?
Yes. it had a collision with mount vesuvius.

What have you tried so far?
tightening all screws around and on the arm.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
What drone?

At a guess this is designed in a similar manner to the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom.
If so, on the INNER end of the male portion of the pivot there was a radial protrusion/lug on the sliding surface of the male portion of the pivot. This lug has two functions.
1) It acts as a rotation stop which prevents the arm rotating too-far/lifting when in the flying position.
2) It prevents the arm coming out/adrift, as your's appears to be.
"Was" because I suspect the lug has been broken off the male portion of the pivot.
If so, I suspect the lug is stuck, by grease, in a circumferential groove at the inner end of the female portion of the pivot.
In order to find the lug ( you must ensure it is not interfering with the travel of a new arm i.e. find the lug and remove it) you may have to remove the female portion of the pivot from the drone.

If the lug is broken off
1) With the rear arms in the flying position, can the left rear arm be moved higher than the right rear arm?
2) I think you will have to replace the arm, I doubt gluing will work as the break surfaces have probably been contaminated with grease.
3) There will probably be a small rough patch, slightly depressed on the sliding surface of the inner end of the male portion of the pivot.

To replace the arm you will have to open the drone and probably disconnect the motor etc. wiring from the ESC board.
Photograph the wiring BEFORE you disconnect it so that you know where each wire goes..

Last edited:
What drone?

At a guess this is designed in a similar manner to the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom.
If so, on the INNER end of the male portion of the pivot there was a radial protrusion/lug on the sliding surface of the male portion of the pivot. This lug has two functions.
1) It acts as a rotation stop which prevents the arm rotating too-far/lifting when in the flying position.
2) It prevents the arm coming out/adrift, as your's appears to be.
"Was" because I suspect the lug has been broken off the male portion of the pivot.
If so, I suspect the lug is stuck, by grease, in a circumferential groove at the inner end of the female portion of the pivot.
In order to find the lug ( you must ensure it is not interfering with the travel of a new arm i.e. find the lug and remove it) you may have to remove the female portion of the pivot from the drone.

If the lug is broken off
1) With the rear arms in the flying position, can the left rear arm be moved higher than the right rear arm?
2) I think you will have to replace the arm, I doubt gluing will work as the break surfaces have probably been contaminated with grease.
3) There will probably be a small rough patch, slightly depressed on the sliding surface of the inner end of the male portion of the pivot.

To replace the arm you will have to open the drone and probably disconnect the motor etc. wiring from the ESC board.
Photograph the wiring BEFORE you disconnect it so that you know where each wire goes..
Its the mavic pro. But i suspect the design to be quite similar.

1) The arm can not move further then on the otherside. Just outwards.
2) i am afraid so too..
3) When the other arm is in place i will try to find the broken part and post it on here.

Thanks for the responce! i will get to work with it.

3) When the other arm is in place i will try to find the broken part and post it on here.
I am not sure how to interpret that, so, for clarity ..... unless the new arm comes with the female portion of the pivot included then you will need to find the broken off lug before you fit the arm into the 'old' female.
Having looked at a Mavic Pro dismantling video I see there are a few differences between the MP and the M2P/Z, you might have the easier repair lol.

One point, when refitting the screws that go into plastic, put the screw in place, LIGHTLY press it into its screw hole then turn the screw as if trying to undo the screw = "back it out".
If you pay attention to what you feel you will, eventually, probably feel the screw 'drop into' the old thread. If so lightly try to screw the screw in. If it feels tight then back it out again and see if it finds a 'second' old thread.
Reason? ..... The screws used in plastic screw holes tend to be designed to cut their own thread and if they are removed and refitted in random positions multiple times they may destroy the bore of the screw hole - getting the screw to 'drop' into an old thread probably reduces the chance of destroying the screw hole.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne