DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Close encounter...with a container ship!

Frits

Reactions
I had a fun experience this weekend. Let me bore you with the details:

Cold winter day with a good clip of wind, I nevertheless set out to shoot a container ship on the St. Lawrence river not far from Montreal.
I had practiced this a few times and this time really wanted to get a keeper.
As the ship came nearer, I took off and headed towards it with a lead angle to intercept it. This took me about 800m from shore!
Just as I got close to being in position my iPad mini shut down cold. Blank, dead! First time that happened to me.
Now, figure this: hanging blind with a 50,000 ton BIG vessel heading my way at about 14 knots!
I did have good connection with the controller and my first reaction was to take some more altitude (GOOD move!).
I decided to let the Mavic hang in position and got my iPhone from my car, fired it up and connected it to the controller. I must have been "blind" for about 45 seconds or so, but at a BAD time! Getting the mini back up would have taken too long PLUS who knows what went wrong with it. When the DJI Go 4 app lit up, the first thing I saw was the ship's wheelhouse just about right next to me!
I knew I had altitude and basically just swung the Mavic around to get at least a bit of footage of the beautiful ship.
Made it back without incident, as I had planned my return down-wind.

Here is the footage that I cut in a few sections.
- Note the wind ripping on the water surface on my way out - it was blowing!
- I lost the video feed at about the 1:09 mark
- As I hung (blind) watch as the ship enters into view - pretty dang CLOSE!
- First thing I saw when my iPhone connected was the wheelhouse a few feet away! But I knew I had altitude and just swung around to get some footage.

I never felt scared really. I knew where I was, got my altitude and just hung there while I got my iPhone to take over. If for whatever reason that would not have worked (or not having the iPhone), I would have hit RTH.
Too bad that I did not get a nice video of the ship, but after the fact I thought that it was a pretty interesting exercise.

If interested, here is the footage:

NOTE: No water droplets were hurt during the making of this video (Pheww...)

Last edited by a moderator:
What great footage!!! Thanks for sharing the story and the video. Great shots.

...so, we have some very large container ships near us as well. They're usually anchored for weeks at a time while they await a spot in port, cargo, or fuel prices to adjust. (yeah, I don't really know) I'd love to fly out to them but I have heard the Mavic compass can get disoriented from large metal objects. ? Have you researched this or experienced it?

Reactions: Frits
No, I have not noticed any problem when flying near ships.

Thanks Moderators for helping me out! (had posted in wrong forum)

Boy that was ultra close. You have nerves of steel !

I guess the most important thing was not to panic and just take the steps necessary to regain connection. Whew!

Nice Video, not sure I would have had the nerves to fly that close...

Boy that was ultra close. You have nerves of steel !

I guess the most important thing was not to panic and just take the steps necessary to regain connection. Whew!
Well, being that close really was not the plan! :eek:
Good situation though proving that staying calm and methodical will let you fly another day.

Well, being that close really was not the plan! :eek:
Good situation though proving that staying calm and methodical will let you fly another day.
Well look at it this way, if you crashed on the ship, it may have literally been taking the slow boat to China! :D
(and into the waiting hands of DJI factory repair)

Good to know that their radar doesn't affect the mavic Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan