DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Combination Stick Command...a bad thing?

this is not true. Mine crashed last friday while flying with no major issues. I simply forgot to turn off the retarded CSC thing(it resets after a useless firmware upgrade) while i was doing reverse funnels and she fell out of the air and now she is california being repaired. Make sure you turn off the CSC thing in advance settings (which is worded really poorly when you try to turn it off) before you fly.

one more thing when talking to the dji repair facility the csc is one the biggest complaints they have from customers. Maybe in the next firmware upgrade they will disable that retarded function with the sticks.
Im a bit lost what manuevre on any drone requires both sticks centre down left and right ?!? [emoji54]

Im a bit lost what manuevre on any drone requires both sticks centre down left and right ?!? [emoji54]
Its called a downward funnel. It is really cool looking it looks like the mav is stuck in a funnel cloud. It also works with going up(down looks cooler) . Some people here think that is too hard of a maneuver for a camera drone but it isn't it does it just fine until the stupid CSC turns her off.

It depends on the following setting:

DJI-GO-Stop-Motor-Method-Apple.jpg

I was watching a Dji video regarding the top 10 reasons new flyers crash their drone.

They mentioned that using combination stick commands can sometimes result in the sticks being brought downward and inward, inadvertently. This results in propeller stop, and hence the drone falls to the ground.

Today I was using both sticks to turn in circles while propelling forward. Should I not be doing this?

Or perhaps as a new user it is not advisable but with practice it is ok?

It just seems intuitive that dual sticks are the way to go, as opposed to flying in rectangular vectors.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO RANTS TURN BACK NOW!
To me using a combination stick command to shut off motors is the very definition of a ******* stupid human interface failure and should never be part of a system design. If they can slap an RTH button on the controller they can put in a long press motor kill button that while you're holding it for 3 seconds causes the controller to vibrate and beep like crazy and a voice to ask "Motor shut down! in 3 ... 2 ... 1.... BEEEEEEEEEE".
RANT OVER.

Reactions: Carlosmingos
To me using a combination stick command to shut off motors is the very definition of a dumbass stupid human interface failure and should never be part of a system design. If they can slap an RTH button on the controller they can put in a long press motor kill button that while you're holding it for 3 seconds causes the controller to vibrate and beep like crazy and a voice to ask "Motor shut down! in 3 ... 2 ... 1.... BEEEEEEEEEE".
RANT OVER.
Bad A post dude. Thumbs Up totally agree with everything you just said I even know where to put the kill button put it where the pause button is(totally stupid button in my opinion) or heck it could still be a pause button but if you keep it pressed it kills the motors too. After the 3..2..1 beep of course. :D

It's true for everyone apart from you (apparently), my drone is set to emergency only by default for the CSC as is the case for each person who checked their CSC setting in response to your thread and same for this thread (Combination Stick Command...a bad thing?)

John
maybe I missed a firmware update on the other thread it said it would kill the motors unless you change the setting. I will find a big net and try it when I get it back from CALi.

Reactions: misskimo
Pause button is pure awesomeness. Heres why. Do a fairly low Sport Mode fly over at full throttle. The press the Pause button. Mavic will pitch almost vertically trying to stop on a dime. Want some ooooh's and aaaaaah's ? Thats the way to get em.

Pause button is pure awesomeness. Heres why. Do a fairly low Sport Mode fly over at full throttle. The press the Pause button. Mavic will pitch almost vertically trying to stop on a dime. Want some ooooh's and aaaaaah's ? Thats the way to get em.

Hard on the battery, however.

Another comment re CSC. I am going to be flying this off a boat in the ocean. I realize care is needed to hand catch it, and I need more paractice before I do.

But, it is my understanding that using the combination stick command is the only way to manually stop the propellers when you grab it?

I would be standing at the back of the boat, turn off the downward sensor, grab the drone, and then use the other hand to kill the props with a CSC.

To me using a combination stick command to shut off motors is the very definition of a dumbass stupid human interface failure and should never be part of a system design. If they can slap an RTH button on the controller they can put in a long press motor kill button that while you're holding it for 3 seconds causes the controller to vibrate and beep like crazy and a voice to ask "Motor shut down! in 3 ... 2 ... 1.... BEEEEEEEEEE".
RANT OVER.

From what I've read, the RTH button is used with a left stick down on the Phantom 4 for a mid-air motor shutdown which makes more sense since there's no way you'd be doing that otherwise.

John

Its a smart drone. Meaning in this mode.
To shut down motors its got to notice you are a foot off the ground and then it starts its shutdown Sequence once it touches ground it shuts the motors off

Another comment re CSC. I am going to be flying this off a boat in the ocean. I realize care is needed to hand catch it, and I need more paractice before I do.

But, it is my understanding that using the combination stick command is the only way to manually stop the propellers when you grab it?

I would be standing at the back of the boat, turn off the downward sensor, grab the drone, and then use the other hand to kill the props with a CSC.

You can either use the CSC or hold the left stick down for three seconds, if the Mavic detects it's no longer moving down it will switch off the motors.

John

Reactions: Fletcher500
maybe I missed a firmware update on the other thread it said it would kill the motors unless you change the setting. I will find a big net and try it when I get it back from CALi.
You could try it in the simulator. With the "CSC Maneuver" setting, the motors stop in flight. The "For use in emergencies only" setting stops motors only if it detects a "critical error" (per the manual). I've never seen any authoritative, reliable info on what the Mavic thinks is a "critical error". Only guesses and suppositions.

I have my Mavic set to "CSC Maneuver" because I want to be able to drop it out of the sky instantly if I hear and see an airplane flying below 100 feet over the beach that's 300 yards in front of my house. It's illegal as hell for pilots to fly like that there, but they do it anyway. Last month I saw a Beechcraft Bonanza flying north over the beach at about 75 feet, right as I was getting ready to fly from my deck. This guy hadn't even announced his presence on the local CTAF frequency (I carry a radio).

To me, after 3 years, CSC is the intuitive way to stop motors. No way do I want that taken away and replaced by some combination of buttons and/or sticks that you never practice, and could never possibly remember how to perform in a collision avoidance emergency.

Anyway, gixxerbill, if it wasn't for your thread last week about your crash, I probably wouldn't have checked my CSC settings. I discovered that after the firmware update, my CSC had been reset to "Emergencies only". You made a comment earlier that the settings were poorly worded. I sure agree with that. Heck, I think they are backwards. To me "CSC Maneuver" seems like the setting to let you perform maneuvers with the sticks like that.

Wouldn't "Stop motors anytime" and "Stop motors for critical error" make more sense?

You could try it in the simulator. With the "CSC Maneuver" setting, the motors stop in flight. The "For use in emergencies only" setting stops motors only if it detects a "critical error" (per the manual). I've never seen any authoritative, reliable info on what the Mavic thinks is a "critical error". Only guesses and suppositions.

I have my Mavic set to "CSC Maneuver" because I want to be able to drop it out of the sky instantly if I hear and see an airplane flying below 100 feet over the beach that's 300 yards in front of my house. It's illegal as **** for pilots to fly like that there, but they do it anyway. Last month I saw a Beechcraft Bonanza flying north over the beach at about 75 feet, right as I was getting ready to fly from my deck. This guy hadn't even announced his presence on the local CTAF frequency (I carry a radio).

To me, after 3 years, CSC is the intuitive way to stop motors. No way do I want that taken away and replaced by some combination of buttons and/or sticks that you never practice, and could never possibly remember how to perform in a collision avoidance emergency.

Anyway, gixxerbill, if it wasn't for your thread last week about your crash, I probably wouldn't have checked my CSC settings. I discovered that after the firmware update, my CSC had been reset to "Emergencies only". You made a comment earlier that the settings were poorly worded. I sure agree with that. Heck, I think they are backwards. To me "CSC Maneuver" seems like the setting to let you perform maneuvers with the sticks like that.
I
Wouldn't "Stop motors anytime" and "Stop motors for critical error" make more sense?
I agree that would be the better way to say it. Hopefully dji is reading your posts. :thumbs:

however I do think a long pause button push would be the way to kill the motors than the sticks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi